JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PRIG said:

Could you please suggest what criteria do they accept for expedited processing?  Whatever little I know of is that they consider waivers based on hardship or research of national interest. Can I ask for expedited processing on No Objection basis?

Based on DOS official website, you can request expedited processing in the following cases: "Expedited processing is available in cases of urgent humanitarian need and/or significant U.S government interest". Based on my opinion, you may have a chance to be approved for expedited processing also if you are doing something related to COVID 19. 

1 hour ago, Veronikac said:

Based on DOS official website, you can request expedited processing in the following cases: "Expedited processing is available in cases of urgent humanitarian need and/or significant U.S government interest". Based on my opinion, you may have a chance to be approved for expedited processing also if you are doing something related to COVID 19. 

Nope I work in Cancer Research, no relation to COVID that's the reason I wasn't sure to ask for expedited processing. But Should I still give it a try? Have you came across anyone like that granted rush service independent of COVID research ?

5 hours ago, PRIG said:

Nope I work in Cancer Research, no relation to COVID that's the reason I wasn't sure to ask for expedited processing. But Should I still give it a try? Have you came across anyone like that granted rush service independent of COVID research ?

I am also doing cancer research which is not directly connected to COVID but I tried to request expedited processing (my application was pending with DOS almost 4 months at that time). I put together cover letter, my CV and letter from my employer. I tried to explain to them that as a hospital worker, I am essential... I actually do think that they were considering the approval of the expedited processing for me but then they realized that my J1 is expiring next year and they told me that they will be done with my application way before that time and I do not need expediting processing. After two weeks from my expedited request rejection, my application moved to the next step.  I personally think it is worth the try. At least you will know that you did everything possible for it. I do not know anybody doing COVID independent research who was approved for expedited processing but there was recently one person in this discussion mentioning that he/she is doing COVID related research and was approved expedited processing immediately after the request.

Edited by Veronikac

14 minutes ago, Veronikac said:

I am also doing cancer research which is not directly connected to COVID but I tried to request expedited processing (my application was pending with DOS almost 4 months at that time). I put together cover letter, my CV and letter from my employer. I tried to explain to them that as a hospital worker, I am essential... I actually do think that they were considering the approval of the expedited processing for me but then they realized that my J1 is expiring next year and they told me that they will be done with my application way before that time and I do not need expediting processing. After two weeks from my expedited request rejection, my application moved to the next step.  I personally think it is worth the try. At least you will know that you did everything possible for it. I do not know anybody doing COVID independent research who was approved for expedited processing but there was recently one person in this discussion mentioning that he/she is doing COVID related research and was approved expedited processing immediately after the request.

So my DS2019 mentions vaguely about my research in one sentence. However, a recent project started in our lab is covid related and I am a part of it. Can I use the expedite processing by means of a letter from my supervisor?

1 hour ago, MZQ said:

So my DS2019 mentions vaguely about my research in one sentence. However, a recent project started in our lab is covid related and I am a part of it. Can I use the expedite processing by means of a letter from my supervisor?

You can try to explain your situation and ask your supervisor to write a letter for you. I am not saying for sure that they will approve you for the expedited processing but you can try. Maybe contact the person who was mentioning recently on this discussion that got approved for the expedited processing based on the COVID related research. 

I was just checking one of your previous post and I am not sure if you will be successful with requesting expedited processing when your DS2019 is valid until 2021. They will probably tell you that you have enough time to go with normal processing. Just a guess. 

Edited by Veronikac

43 minutes ago, Veronikac said:

You can try to explain your situation and ask your supervisor to write a letter for you. I am not saying for sure that they will approve you for the expedited processing but you can try. Maybe contact the person who was mentioning recently on this discussion that got approved for the expedited processing based on the COVID related research. 

I was just checking one of your previous post and I am not sure if you will be successful with requesting expedited processing when your DS2019 is valid until 2021. They will probably tell you that you have enough time to go with normal processing. Just a guess. 

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I was going to go through this route if I don’t see a progress for my case in time. My document package 1 was just delivered at the PO box in St. Louis so let’s see how much time till I see the ‘docs received’ message on the waiver status page.

Not so much luck here. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to contact the waiver board? I have sent various emails and only receive the generic automated response. I also tried calling and have spent up to 4 hours on hold without success. Any help will be appreciated?

IMG_8056.jpg

1 hour ago, str8tdominican said:

Not so much luck here. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to contact the waiver board? I have sent various emails and only receive the generic automated response. I also tried calling and have spent up to 4 hours on hold without success. Any help will be appreciated?

IMG_8056.jpg

2017 to 2020?

Quick question: I understand that it takes weeks for the DoS website to start showing something (usually documents received) when tracked with your case number. My documents were delivered at the St. Loius PO Box on July 2, 2020. So, once it starts showing up on the DoS website, will it say documents received on July 2 or so time frame, or will state the current date? My J1 ends March, 2021 so a bit worried with the lagging waiver timeline.

10 hours ago, MZQ said:

Quick question: I understand that it takes weeks for the DoS website to start showing something (usually documents received) when tracked with your case number. My documents were delivered at the St. Loius PO Box on July 2, 2020. So, once it starts showing up on the DoS website, will it say documents received on July 2 or so time frame, or will state the current date? My J1 ends March, 2021 so a bit worried with the lagging waiver timeline.

It will show it was received some 1 month after the date they actually got the application. So in your case it will say received somewhere around August 10th or so. 

On 7/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, J1toH1 said:

Hello,

Is there anyone here who sent all the documents at the end of May including the embassy No objection letter? If yes, can you see information on your case online? I still see no information updated for my case number when I track online.

Thanks!

Hey, any update on your case on the DoS website? Or it still says nothing?

I sent my documents to DOS on June 29th but it has not been update on the DOS website yet. 

Looking at the comments it appears that it normally, takes 4 weeks for the updates to show up on the DOS website, is that correct? 

Also, do people think it would be okay to send email to DOS to query this before 4 week period or I should wait for at least 4 weeks before queuing? Thanking you in advance. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.