JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I appreciate this forum for clarifying the doubts on the J1 waiver process. I have doubts about the process of J1 waiver.

1. My J1 visa status validity is up to Dec 31st, 2019 (i.e. almost 7 months), and I am from INDIA.

2. I haven't started the process of J1 waiver, not even NORI.

3. I would like to start the process now. Would it be sufficient time for applying the NORI and then J1 waiver? I would be grateful if anyone helped me with this concern. Thanks in advance.

---NK   

47 minutes ago, NKG said:

Hi All,

I appreciate this forum for clarifying the doubts on the J1 waiver process. I have doubts about the process of J1 waiver.

1. My J1 visa status validity is up to Dec 31st, 2019 (i.e. almost 7 months), and I am from INDIA.

3. I would like to start the process now. Would it be sufficient time for applying the NORI and then J1 waiver? I would be grateful if anyone helped me with this concern. Thanks in advance.

---NK   

It really depends how fast the NORI process goes. Im also from India, i started my NORI in the month of June and within a month or two I got the NORI from my regional passport office and from Central govt (as the process in online), but from state secretariat office it is really difficult and got the clearances by really pushing hard from myside from university and for police verification and then called  the Secretariat  every week and finally got them only in october. 

As from this forum you would have known the waiver processing time has increased and its unpredictable. So seven months is too tight, but i would suggest you to start the NORI process immediately and see the time frame when u get all of them and even from India you can still apply waiver.

Hope this gives you an idea. 

Edited by Kr1234

6 hours ago, NKG said:

Hi All,

---NK   

I agree with Kr123 that first you need to arrange NORI (for other applicants reading this post, this is required document by Indian Embassy only) and then see if you have enough time. I am not Indian but have heard it takes months and is a painful process before you apply for your NOS from the embassy.

I will suggest, if possible to get J1 extension, go with it and plan for the rest of process with enough time for peace of mind. You can read this thread and 2018 timeline too, and look for all submitted cases and their timelines to get some idea to decide, since we don't have idea of your exact situation/context.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:55 PM, JWaiver_2019 said:

Hi MimPH,

Can you please share your USCIS service center dealing with case? Mine is Vermont SC.

I am in a similar situation and here is list of my actions:

- Called USCIS to get the NOA number last month - No success on multiple attempts. Every time they say they have no idea about this type of case or request. I referred customer care to https://www.uscis.gov/i-612 and asked to read 'Where to File' category and then they got some idea. But useless since they were not able to find me in the system.

- After 30 days, I was able to submit 'case inquiry' with USCIS yesterday (DOS recommendation was updated on March 26) and USCIS requested to wait for 15-30 days for further investigation on my request and response.

If it has been more than 30 days, I think it is better for you to start requesting for case inquiry. This is the only way I can see since we have no case number in absence of NOA receipt. 

Please share your experience, if others have got or not received USCIS or whatever is a status.

Thank you for sharing! I am in exactly the same situation. FR sent to Vermont service center on Apr 10th. Still no NOA receipt. Called USCIS twice and was told that it will take up to 30 days to generate a receipt number. There is nothing I can do at this point but wait. 

Have you heard back from USCIS on your case inquiry? 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:55 PM, JWaiver_2019 said:

Hi MimPH,

Can you please share your USCIS service center dealing with case? Mine is Vermont SC.

I am in a similar situation and here is list of my actions:

- Called USCIS to get the NOA number last month - No success on multiple attempts. Every time they say they have no idea about this type of case or request. I referred customer care to https://www.uscis.gov/i-612 and asked to read 'Where to File' category and then they got some idea. But useless since they were not able to find me in the system.

- After 30 days, I was able to submit 'case inquiry' with USCIS yesterday (DOS recommendation was updated on March 26) and USCIS requested to wait for 15-30 days for further investigation on my request and response.

If it has been more than 30 days, I think it is better for you to start requesting for case inquiry. This is the only way I can see since we have no case number in absence of NOA receipt. 

Please share your experience, if others have got or not received USCIS or whatever is a status.

Hello!

I got my DOS letter on March 20th. I called USCIS lat May 1st, was on hold for about 1 and a half hours. They made a service request for me. This morning- May 3rd, they sent me an email states that it was approved last April 23, 2019. I will just wait for the letter to be mailed to me. 

Same Vermont SC

Hope this helps!

Edited by MimPH

2 hours ago, MimPH said:

Hello!

I got my DOS letter on March 20th. I called USCIS lat May 1st, was on hold for about 1 and a half hours. They made a service request for me. This morning- May 3rd, they sent me an email states that it was approved last April 23, 2019. I will just wait for the letter to be mailed to me. 

Same Vermont SC

Hope this helps!

This is very helpful information and many congratulations!! Finally it is concluded positively.

Did they also provide you case number ?

If possible, do let us know when you receive the letter from USCIS. This will also give some idea how long it may take to receive it. 

2 hours ago, J1_NOL_2019 said:

Thank you for sharing! I am in exactly the same situation. FR sent to Vermont service center on Apr 10th. Still no NOA receipt. Called USCIS twice and was told that it will take up to 30 days to generate a receipt number. There is nothing I can do at this point but wait. 

Have you heard back from USCIS on your case inquiry? 

Same response I got but when I called after 30 days they submitted my complain. I got email from VC requesting for DOS letter by email that I have sent them. Now I am waiting for their response. I will update here soon I get any news.

49 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

This is very helpful information and many congratulations!! Finally it is concluded positively.

Did they also provide you case number ?

If possible, do let us know when you receive the letter from USCIS. This will also give some idea how long it may take to receive it. 

USCIS gave me a receipt number. I still do not have the letter but was able to track my case through it. Here’s what it looks like in my app 😊

866300BC-BA19-430F-947C-9F52C1FD6B94.jpeg

33 minutes ago, MimPH said:

USCIS gave me a receipt number. I still do not have the letter but was able to track my case through it. Here’s what it looks like in my app 😊imageproxy.php?img=&key=ea9668e88603f7d4imageproxy.php?img=&key=ea9668e88603f7d4

866300BC-BA19-430F-947C-9F52C1FD6B94.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! I like stars all over! :)

I have this app .. but without case number useless .... I know my employer told me that it takes 15 days to receive USCIS letter and I was thinking USPS is not that slow, but now I trust them :)

They cashed the check two weeks ago. Finally(after I can already recite the case number forward and backwards) today I find  some information online under the case number. Not sure if this is normal or it's already a sign of longer waiting time for the whole process. Here is my timeline so far:

Materials sent: Apr 11 via US priority mail

Delivered: Apr 13

Check cashed: Apr 16

Forms received: May 1

Still waiting on the no objection letter. Waiting desparately cuz my OPT expires this Oct and I need to get my green card based work permit before this so that I can keep my job. Fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, ANguyen said:

They cashed the check two weeks ago. Finally(after I can already recite the case number forward and backwards) today I find  some information online under the case number. Not sure if this is normal or it's already a sign of longer waiting time for the whole process. Here is my timeline so far:

Materials sent: Apr 11 via US priority mail

Delivered: Apr 13

Check cashed: Apr 16

Forms received: May 1

Still waiting on the no objection letter. Waiting desparately cuz my OPT expires this Oct and I need to get my green card based work permit before this so that I can keep my job. Fingers crossed.

DOS opens case for processing once online status shows NOS received.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, BorquMic said:

Finally!!! I got favorable Recommendation. 76470571-BC1F-4331-8300-AE1F9C7182DD.thumb.jpeg.4db0522f76f52c8103a54c75f3b8c06d.jpeg

Hi BorquMic, Did u receive any updates on ur case, when the recommendation letter was sent or did u receive the letter? Me too got favorable recommendation today but without the recommendation letter sent information. Is there anyone other than us with the same situation, will be really happy to know about the status of your case. Im little worried because of the no recommendation letter sent information on the DOS website. I also used the usps priority mail envelopes as my self addressed envelopes with tracking and also with stamps (in case), was trying to track the envelopes but no updates in usps system yet.

Below is my updated status

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 10.17.57 PM.png

Edited by Kr1234

On 4/27/2019 at 11:51 AM, Micht said:

This is mine

Screenshot_20190427-124915__01.jpg

Got an update on my case Micht but without the recommendation letter sent information so little worried, hope it will get updated this week. Two days back I sent an email to DOS regarding my case update, they did not reply but two days later they sent favorable recommendation , also in your email clearly mention your full name, case number, DOB,POB and also your passport information. Hope you too get recommendation soon.

Edited by Kr1234

2 hours ago, Kr1234 said:

Hi BorquMic, Did u receive any updates on ur case, when the recommendation letter was sent or did u receive the letter? Me too got favorable recommendation today but without the recommendation letter sent information. Is there anyone other than us with the same situation, will be really happy to know about the status of your case. Im little worried because of the no recommendation letter sent information on the DOS website. I also used the usps priority mail envelopes as my self addressed envelopes with tracking and also with stamps (in case), was trying to track the envelopes but no updates in usps system yet.

Below is my updated status

Yes Bro. They updated my status few days later to Recommendation (sent). So they update yours very soon. 

2ACE3030-F279-40A6-81AA-4766A5F731D6.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.