JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

It takes 1-2 week to arrive within U.S. So you can wait for another week and hope you get the letter. Which service did you use for self-addressed envelope? did you buy tracking option?

I used USPS... no tracking.. I actually had my boyfriend submit everything for me because I am in Brazil right now and I figured that using his address there it would make things faster.. Apparently not! But he just used regular mail. So maybe it is still coming. I managed to call USCIS and they didn't have my case there either.. This process is crazy and frustrating.

1 hour ago, LuizaT said:

I used USPS... no tracking.. I actually had my boyfriend submit everything for me because I am in Brazil right now and I figured that using his address there it would make things faster.. Apparently not! But he just used regular mail. So maybe it is still coming. I managed to call USCIS and they didn't have my case there either.. This process is crazy and frustrating.

I hope you get the letter soon. I am copying experience of one of applicant here (copies from page 7 or 8 - Filippi's post) and this may give you some idea only:

I called them 3 times to get the case number, so yes, you may need some luck to reach the right person there. I asked specifically for the case number related to an I-612 filled by Department of State. I tried first in 10 days after DOS sent the favorable recommendation and they said they could not find my name there. I tried again in the next day, same thing, and finally I was successful 2 days later. Hope this helps.

By the way, I received notice of action with the approval yesterday (04/09), yay!, I didn't receive any letter from DOS and neither the notice of action from USCIS for receiving the case.

So need to wait!

On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, Sam2019 said:

Hello Folks, 

So, I just got my final approval from the USCIS. The nightmare is over. Here is my story in brief.  I WAS A FULLBRIGHT!! and I got the No-objection waiver!!!! yes, it  IS POSSIBLE for those who received funding from Fulbright to get the no-objection waiver. 

I think you have to make a stron g argument in your statement. Do NOT make the argument about you; instead, make the argument that it is useful for the program goal if you not go back. Make a case that if you get waived the program goals will be achieved more than if you go back. And of course, you have to support your arguments by evidence and documents. I did not hire a lawyer. Actually, all the lawyers I talked to said I will never get the no objection waiver because I was a Fulbright scholar, but I did!

Here is my timeline

It took my embassy so long to send the letter. 

Also, it took the USCIS almost 39 days to send the final approval.

Goodluck to you all!

Hey, I am also a Fulbright and got married to a US citizen, and don't know how to apply for the waiver. The lawyers I spoke with said I have no chance to get any waiver and that there is no issue. Can you please help?

Hello everyone, I was on a J1 with Fulbright from 2016 to 2018 for my masters. Now I am doing my PhD under F1 and still have the 2 year residency requirement. In the meantime,  I  got married to a US citizen and I was told that if I travel outside of the US, I will not be admitted back. I need to travel to my home country to conduct research. I am very depressed because of my situation. I asked a few lawyers and they told me that there is no hope in applying to the waiver because of the funding

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Update on my case :)

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS by UPS:                              March 9th 2019

Packet received (UPS tracking):                                                     March 11th 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:                               April 2nd 2019

DOS received No Objection Statement on:                                   April 4th 2019

Favorable Recommendations:                                                         April 24th 2019

j1 PROGRESS APRIL 24TH.png

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
On 4/11/2019 at 5:53 PM, the_peruvian said:

This is my timeline so far:

1. Packet sent to DOS - 04/08

2. Packet received - 04/09

3. Check cashed - 04/11

Hope everything goes well!

Update of my case

1. Packet sent to DOS - 04/08

2. Packet received - 04/09

3. Check cashed - 04/11

4. DOS - Documents received - 04/24

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
18 hours ago, Sam86 said:

Update on my case :)

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS by UPS:                              March 9th 2019

Packet received (UPS tracking):                                                     March 11th 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:                               April 2nd 2019

DOS received No Objection Statement on:                                   April 4th 2019

Favorable Recommendations:                                                         April 24th 2019

j1 PROGRESS APRIL 24TH.png

Hi Sam86,

Do you know when did your country send your NOS? Mine was already sent by my Embassy but I think it takes some days after the documents of the packet are received to be updated in the system.

Thanks!

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
9 minutes ago, the_peruvian said:

Hi Sam86,

Do you know when did your country send your NOS? Mine was already sent by my Embassy but I think it takes some days after the documents of the packet are received to be updated in the system.

Thanks!

Hi the_peruvian!

I have no idea when my country did it. Honestly I thought it would take much much longer for them so I did not even started calling or checking the status and then I saw the update on the DOS website (a miracle!!). Based on the posts on this blog, my understanding is that the timelines really depend on each country... Sorry but I guess I'm not that helpful!

I have a question about the UCSIS... More than a question, I just want to make sure that I got this right: now that the DOS sent me recommendation, I just have to wait right? I mean...I do not have to do anything else besides checking my mail like a crazy person. But if I am really freaking out, I can call the number indicated on the UCSIS website and hope to find someone nice that will tell me my receipt number so I will be able to check the status of my application online.

Thanks!!

Sam

1 hour ago, Kr1234 said:

My case is straight forward case with no govt funding and its been more than 6 weeks but still no update,.😭 feeling very much frustrated. I need this waiver as soon as possible and the waiting is horrible.

779754839_waiverstatus.png.196b5c1daa6c8242ec8ee27361af0c96.png

We have the same timeline, let me know when you finally get the recommendation!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.