JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2020 at 11:11 AM, heonss said:

So to share my experience with anybody in the same boat, I got FR sent on July 27th but haven’t gotten any notice or approval mailed even until now. I believe it was because I put my home country address instead of the US one since I’m already out of country. I contacted USCIS yesterday and managed to get my case number. it was already approved on 14th, August. The operator confirmed I could obtain another copy if it never arrives but the inquiry should be made after 30 days of approval. I’m waiting for 14th, September to claim the new copy.

EDCDC122-E686-4965-AEE2-F492F6628F3F.jpeg

Hi, how did you contact USCIS? I received FR since September 2020 , but I have not received any update from USCIS (not even a case number), how do I reach them, please 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello Everyone!!

I've been reading this posts for the last 7 weeks. I sent my waiver (NOS) on September 16th and the waiver division just updated the information about my case that was received after 7 weeks, my embassy sent the NOS on September 21st so I'm hopping next week it will be updated, I'm crossing fingers. It's anyone on the same dates as me?

image.png.46744bf5ac2bd5b8458f64d022491a25.png

I am feeling very low right now and I don’t know what to do. USCIS said that they sent their recommendation a year ago and DOS says that they haven’t received anything. Everytime I do expedited request, I get the same response that they did send it and then they ask me to show them my application to DOS. My lawyer is suspecting that USCIS lost my file. What should I do?!!

On 8/16/2019 at 6:56 PM, Lena Star said:

Hi everyone, 

I have been waiting for sponsor views to be sent since May 06. I applied for the waiver though NOS and also I was Fulbright. 

I worked during OPT for a company that now wants to keep me, I tried to make the case that my current job matches my study goals, and I give back to my home country and at the same time I am helping advancing US foreign policy. I know that my case was reviewed and views were sent, however I am trying to figure it out where my process is stuck and what is causing the delay? What the steps might be at this point?

Anyone had similar experience? And I know someone mentioned in this thread that knows at least 3-4 cases where Fulbright students got the waiver, can someone point me at what page in this forum those cases are discussed?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Hello I am in a similar situation and my employer want to keep as well after Academic Training, he applied for H1B and I got the petition approved. I had to go back home because I have applied for the waiver late.

my embassy sent the No Objection Letter but I am still waiting for it to appear in State department portal

can you share your insights about the statement of reason how to make it more convening and how long your statement of reason was. 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, Lena Star said:

Yes its cap exempt since its affiliated with a university. They are filing next week even though I dont have final USCIS waiver.

I got the my petition approved for H1b while I am outside the US, my waiver request is still on progress.

it is written in H1B petition that it is valid until 2023

I can not go to the US embassy to get the stamp for H1B until I receive the waiver

Did someone faced a similar situation

On 9/14/2019 at 3:25 AM, Lena Star said:

Dear all - My final timeline from the beginning until now!

DOS application:

Item

Action

Date

Recommendation

Sent

August, 30 2019

Sponsor Views

Received

August, 29 2019

Request for Sponsor Views

Sent

May, 10 2019

No Objection Statement

Received

May, 06 2019

Fee

Received

April, 04 2019

Form DS-3035

Received

April, 04 2019

Form DS-2019

Received

April, 04 2019

Passport Data Page

Received

April, 04 2019

Statement Of Reason

Received

April, 04 2019

Other

Received

April, 04 2019

• DOS recommendation received at home address on September 02.
  • USCIS receipt notice number received September 09. (online it said case received from DOS on September 04).
  • USCIS approval notice received on September 13. (in the actual letter it says approval date on September 09).
  • Online at USCIS website my case has not been updated yet to approved. 

My case was No Objection with government funding involved (Fulbright master studies). It took exactly 6 months from preparing documents to final waiver.

I wish everyone best of luck in getting the waiver cause I know how nerve-racking it is. Hang on and do your best to keep your mental health! :)

the sponsor views were requested from who exactly

is it Fulbright or your Bi-national Commission in your home country

51 minutes ago, melmasry said:

the sponsor views were requested from who exactly

is it Fulbright or your Bi-national Commission in your home country

It is the State Dept. Waiver Division that asks the Fulbright office in DC at Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) for sponsor views. Meaning the person in the ECA/Fulbright office in DC designated for your country will give these views if they object you staying or not, weigh in with all pro and cons, and often they do communicate with staff at the US Embassy in your home country, to ask for their opinion. I'd advise you tell your Fulbright officer in your home country that you have applied for the waiver, and try to make a case with them why you consider it is more beneficial for your home country/US foreign policy/ and bi-lateral relations between your country and the US if you stay here, so in case they are contacted by ECA they are equipped with arguments to support your case. 

As for bi-national commissions, my understanding is once your home country issues the "no objection letter" you have covered that, the waiver division wont go back to ask again your home country including the national commission members/office whether they agree with you staying in the US or not. 

Hope this helps, and good luck!

On 10/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, dcj1waiver said:

Hello! This thread has been a great source of information as I go through the J-1 waiver process. I just wanted to share my timeline in case it's helpful to anyone.

I am an Indian citizen and did not have any US govt funding. I sent my documents to the DOS lockbox on July 9, 2020. The NOS was sent to them before my case was active on the status checker, so I think they lost it. Had to have the Indian embassy re-send my NOS, which they did on Sept 8, 2020.

I am waiting for the hard copy of the favorable recommendation so that I can send in my H1-B application packet. Initially we were going to wait until I got the USCIS final waiver approval, but time is running out on my post-J1 grace period.

Hope that's helpful!

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.21.29 AM.png

Just wanted to give y'all an update.

According to the online status checker, I got my FR from DOS on October 29, 2020, but I am yet to receive anything from them by mail. I live in DC and I know that's where DOS is processing my paperwork, so who knows what the delay is.

However, USCIS has gone ahead and approved my waiver and here's the timeline:

- November 3, 2020, USCIS accepted my Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement.
- November 4, 2020, USCIS received my Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement.
- November 7, 2020, I received form I-797C by mail notifying me of receipt of FR from DOS and giving me my case number.
- November 10, 2020, USCIS approved my case.

I am still waiting to receive both my FR from DOS my final waiver approval by USCIS by mail. My University went ahead and filed my H1-B application on November 10th once they heard that my USCIS case status had changed to approved and included a scanned copy of the I-797C notice of receipt in the application packet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 11/5/2020 at 9:38 PM, habibti said:

Hi, how did you contact USCIS? I received FR since September 2020 , but I have not received any update from USCIS (not even a case number), how do I reach them, please 

Sorry for the late reply. I have contacted USCIS and gotten no outcome. After all I have spoken to a local congressperson and USCIS ombudsman, then received a copy of approval.

Hello all, 

Received the final I-797 today from USCIS. It took just 2 weeks after the case was approved by DOS. Very happy and good luck to everyone who is waiting. Please let me know if I can help with any questions. Thinking about putting the I-797 in a frame and hanging it on the wall with all my awards and achievements. 

Below is my timeline. 

Application sent on June 25th

Received on June 29th

NOS letter sent by embassy on Jul 7th

Case received on Aug 16th

NOS appeared on Sep 7th

FR sent on Oct 29th (No hard copy from DOS received)

I797 (approval notice) received on Nov 16th (approved on USCIS website on Nov 10th)

On 11/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, dcj1waiver said:

Just wanted to give y'all an update.

According to the online status checker, I got my FR from DOS on October 29, 2020, but I am yet to receive anything from them by mail. I live in DC and I know that's where DOS is processing my paperwork, so who knows what the delay is.

However, USCIS has gone ahead and approved my waiver and here's the timeline:

- November 3, 2020, USCIS accepted my Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement.
- November 4, 2020, USCIS received my Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement.
- November 7, 2020, I received form I-797C by mail notifying me of receipt of FR from DOS and giving me my case number.
- November 10, 2020, USCIS approved my case.

I am still waiting to receive both my FR from DOS my final waiver approval by USCIS by mail. My University went ahead and filed my H1-B application on November 10th once they heard that my USCIS case status had changed to approved and included a scanned copy of the I-797C notice of receipt in the application packet.

Great! My university is submitting the H1B this week and I still have 15 days of J1 left. Good luck with your H1B.

My case has not progressed since they received my NOS on September 8. They already received everything else on August 18. I have seen many in a similar timeline getting FR all through October into November. But nothing on my end. I contacted DoS by email and got the same ubiquitous response: they are processing and it takes 8-16 weeks. Smh.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, MZQ said:

My case has not progressed since they received my NOS on September 8. They already received everything else on August 18. I have seen many in a similar timeline getting FR all through October into November. But nothing on my end. I contacted DoS by email and got the same ubiquitous response: they are processing and it takes 8-16 weeks. Smh.

Sometimes they take long to response. I received response of my first 2 emails in 18 and 21 days, but last one with the FR news in 5 days. 

9 hours ago, Hardship waiver said:

Congratulations to those who got their waiver. If anybody knows, how can I speak to someone from the department of state regarding the waiver? The only thing available now is through writing an email to to 212waiver but that always gives the same response. 

I don't think there is any other contact apart from the 212waiver email. The only other option can be contacting your local congressman and explain your situation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.