JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, no12name said:

Hi PRIG, I had the same status and was confused. I think it just means they assigned your case to another USCIS office due to work overload. It's not a bad thing. My case was approved just a few days later.

Thanks for clarifying. Could you please tell how long did it took for approval after you got this message ? I received the I-797C on sep9 and my case status is still the same on website. 

1 hour ago, PRIG said:

Thanks for clarifying. Could you please tell how long did it took for approval after you got this message ? I received the I-797C on sep9 and my case status is still the same on website. 

My I-797c is dated 8/19 and I think I recieved the letter around 8/24 - this is when I noticed it said "case received at another office". My case was  approved online 8/26 -> so about one week from when they sent out the I-797c. Still waiting for the hard copy of my approved waiver in the mail though........ I think you are still in the "normal" timeframe.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 2/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, JDRao said:

I have never received my approval notice by USCIS in my mail. When requested online, USCIS asked me to file I-824 with fee. Did any one face such situation? If so, how long does it take to get the duplicated waiver from USCIS. Can I attend the H1-B visa interview with just the print screen of approval?

I am in the same situation now. My approval never arrived and USCIS told me to file I-824 with $465 fee. Did you end up filing it? if so, how long did it take to get a duplicate? It would be very much helpful if you could share your situation a bit. I can’t find much information on this.

Hello Everybody,

I got my Favorable Recommendation today!

Application package received by DOS (Fedex Tracking) - June 17th, 2020.

Check cashed - June 22nd.

Embassy sent NOS - June 23rd.

NOS received in online system - August 10th.

Application package received in online system - August 11th.
Favorable Recommendation - September 16th.

Hello all,

Finally received my favorable recommendation. Wanted to share the information with all of you if that helps. I sent my documents to DOS at the end of May (around 20th). The embassy sent the No objection letter on May 31st. Below is the timeline posted online:

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Recommendation Sent September, 15 2020

Passport Data Page Received: September, 02 2020

No Objection Statement Received: August, 13 2020

Fee Received: August, 02 2020

Form DS-3035 Received: August, 02 2020

Form DS-2019 Received: August, 02 2020

Statement Of Reason Received: August, 02 2020

Thanks and wish you all the best!

I finally got the FR

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS:                                                                  May 22nd 2020

Check was cashed:                                                                                                June 1st 2020

DOS updated status – Documents received:                                                     August 4th 2020

Application packet was sent to German Embassy:                                          May 22nd 2020

German Embassy requested additional documents:                                       June 8th 2020

Sending additional documents to German Embassy:                                      June 9th 2020

German Embassy sent NOS by mail:                                                                  June 22nd 2020

DOS updated status – Documents received:                                                    August 5th 2020

DOS updated status - Favorable Recommendation Sent                                September 17th, 2020

image.png.20e7dbb113a85f0b852836c4e17e8589.png

More updates to come...

I've seen that a lot of people here have said they never received the hard copy of the favorable recommendation. Is there another way to get the case number to keep track of the status? Furthermore I was wondering if there is anything else I need to submit to USCIS before they will approve the application?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 9/21/2020 at 12:21 PM, J1toH1 said:

Hello all,

Finally received my favorable recommendation. Wanted to share the information with all of you if that helps. I sent my documents to DOS at the end of May (around 20th). The embassy sent the No objection letter on May 31st. Below is the timeline posted online:

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Recommendation Sent September, 15 2020

Passport Data Page Received: September, 02 2020

No Objection Statement Received: August, 13 2020

Fee Received: August, 02 2020

Form DS-3035 Received: August, 02 2020

Form DS-2019 Received: August, 02 2020

Statement Of Reason Received: August, 02 2020

Thanks and wish you all the best!

Congratulations!!!!! Looks like it took 5-6 weeks between your case showing up online and getting your FR.

Last Friday (Sept 18) my case finally showed up online! Everything said "Received" but it said Received on Sept 15, and NOS received on Sept 16... In reality, it's been 3-4 months.... I think it may have something to do with the fact that my lawyer sent an email inquiry and attached a copy of the entire package and embassy letter AND proof of fee being cashed.

My OPT grace period ended Sept 18 (same day the status showed up online) so I'm reeeeally hopeful for an FR that will make this all worth it — in the meantime, AoS package is nearly ready to be filed!

May 19: package mailed (forms + fee)

May 21: package delivered to WRD in Saint Louis

May 29: filing fee cashed (according to Western Union money order tracking)

Jun 17: NOS embassy letter mailed

Jun 19: NOS embassy letter delivered to Dos in DC

*Sept 18: Status showed up online - "Pending"

On 9/22/2020 at 10:20 PM, BaiLong said:

I've seen that a lot of people here have said they never received the hard copy of the favorable recommendation. Is there another way to get the case number to keep track of the status? Furthermore I was wondering if there is anything else I need to submit to USCIS before they will approve the application?

I don't think anybody here has recieved the hard copy of the FR. You can try to call USCIS and inquire about your case number. I tried but found it very hard to circumvent the computer voice that always hangs up on you if you don't have a case number ;) So I ended up just waiting for the USCIS notice of action.

18 hours ago, no12name said:

I don't think anybody here has recieved the hard copy of the FR. You can try to call USCIS and inquire about your case number. I tried but found it very hard to circumvent the computer voice that always hangs up on you if you don't have a case number ;) So I ended up just waiting for the USCIS notice of action.

I have received the hard copy of the FR along with the hard copy of receipt and approval notice from USCIS. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, my fiance and I are confused about if he is subject to the 2 year rule or not. His DS-2019 doesn't have anything marked where it says if he is subject and since Canadians don't get a visa page for the J1, he can't look at that either. He used only personal funds (that is what is marked on his DS-2019 in box 5 in his source of funding), Canada is not a country on the skills list, and he did not receive medical training. 

What does it say for all of you? Does your DS-2019 specifically state government funding on box 5? Should we depend on that?

Timeline
On 3/18/2020 at 3:28 PM, TBD_7 said:

Hey guys!

I applied for j1 hardship waiver in 2018 because some government funding was involved with my exchange program. I received sponsor views in November 2019. Right now, its march and it is still pending! no recommendation was sent yet. I am about to graduate college and will be out of status soon. I really do not want to stay here illegally while waiting for them to send the recommendation. How long does it usually take to send the recommendation?

1234.PNG

Hello, May I ask what type of government funding was involved with your program? Was it home govt or US govt funding? And what does it say in your DS-2019 under source of funding (box 5)?

Timeline
On 6/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, NOW_TR_2020 said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.55670431eff04e18c37060ee57bcfe8f.JPG

Application package received: February 4th 2020
Embassy sent NOW letter       : February 11th 2020 
I have not received any government funding. I sent an email around mid May and they responded two weeks ago.
"your case file appears to be complete and ready to process.  Provided we have received all the required documentation, we assure you that your request will be processed as soon as possible."

It has been 16 weeks since last update. As far as I can see, the last FR was sent to someone in this group on June 1st. Has anyone received FR after June 1st?

Hi there, May I ask what it says on your DS-2019 under source of funding (box 5)? My fiance and I are trying to figure out if the 2 year rule applies to him

On 9/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, pooj97 said:

Hello everyone, my fiance and I are confused about if he is subject to the 2 year rule or not. His DS-2019 doesn't have anything marked where it says if he is subject and since Canadians don't get a visa page for the J1, he can't look at that either. He used only personal funds (that is what is marked on his DS-2019 in box 5 in his source of funding), Canada is not a country on the skills list, and he did not receive medical training. 

What does it say for all of you? Does your DS-2019 specifically state government funding on box 5? Should we depend on that?

I did have government funding (from my home government) and on my DS-2019 they ticked the box with "subject to 2 year home requirement due to government funding". If you want to be sure your fiancee is not subject to the two year rule, you should apply for an advisory opinion with the DoS.

Edited by no12name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.