JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline
On 4/10/2020 at 3:55 AM, JMGN said:

hello everyone, 

I just want to share my good news that I have received my FR after the exact 12 weeks of waiting. Here is my timeline:

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent April, 09 2020
No Objection Statement Received January, 16 2020
Fee Received September, 25 2019
Form DS-3035 Received September, 25 2019
Form DS-2019 Received September, 25 2019
Passport Data Page Received September, 25 2019
Statement Of Reason Received September, 25 2019
Other Received September, 25 2019

It must be tough for you.. long waiting. But at last you got it. Congratulation 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dev1971 said:

It must be tough for you.. long waiting. But at last you got it. Congratulation 

Yes it was devastating. I am waiting for the letter from Dos or USCIS. I haven’t received anything from them as yet. I hope this is not a long wait too. Do you know how long it normally takes to get the letter with the case # etc?

Anyone whose documents received in December and still waiting? 

Can we extend J1 Visa beyond 5 years while waiting for DOS waiver approval (17 weeks passed)? 

I lost hopes and in situation like this it's hard to travel back to home country. I'm panicking because my J1 is ending in June. 

I am sorry that I am posting stupid questions. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
52 minutes ago, J1waiver1 said:

Can we extend J1 Visa beyond 5 years while waiting for DOS waiver approval (17 weeks passed)? 

I lost hopes and in situation like this it's hard to travel back to home country. I'm panicking because my J1 is ending in June. 

I really feel your pain in waiting plus you will be out of status soon. To be honest if I were you despite rules/ laws if I can’t afford a lawyer to take over my case to move forward quickly then I would go straight ahead and apply for the H1B1. 
But I hope someone with better knowledge of the process will quickly answer these questions.

1 hour ago, J1waiver1 said:

I'm new here, but it seems like the DOS has announced some extensions.  It may be extended further to June in the future? "Any J-1 program that had an expiration date between April 1 and May 31, 2020 will be granted a two-month extension in order to provide exchange visitors the opportunity to complete their programs and to continue to finalize travel plans to return home."

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi all

USCIS has sent me received notice dated April 1,2020. Until then I have been waiting for approval notice. It has been 2 weeks. I have seen that one member has already received the approval notice whose USCIS receive notice dated  the same time as mine. DoS sent the Fav Rec on March 25. 

Anyone else there whose timeline is similar as mine and waiting for USCIS approval notice?

24 minutes ago, Dev1971 said:

Hi all

USCIS has sent me received notice dated April 1,2020. Until then I have been waiting for approval notice. It has been 2 weeks. I have seen that one member has already received the approval notice whose USCIS receive notice dated  the same time as mine. DoS sent the Fav Rec on March 25. 

Anyone else there whose timeline is similar as mine and waiting for USCIS approval notice?

I am on the same boat. My USCIS notice is also dated April 1 but sill waiting for approval. 

20 hours ago, JMGN said:

I really feel your pain in waiting plus you will be out of status soon. To be honest if I were you despite rules/ laws if I can’t afford a lawyer to take over my case to move forward quickly then I would go straight ahead and apply for the H1B1. 
But I hope someone with better knowledge of the process will quickly answer these questions.

Thank you JMGN. Yes my employer is filing for H1B. I hope to get my waiver soon. 

20 hours ago, sad_postdoc said:

I'm new here, but it seems like the DOS has announced some extensions.  It may be extended further to June in the future? "Any J-1 program that had an expiration date between April 1 and May 31, 2020 will be granted a two-month extension in order to provide exchange visitors the opportunity to complete their programs and to continue to finalize travel plans to return home."

Thanks for the information. I just checked. it seems like there is possibilities of extension in future. Thanks again. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, J1waiver1 said:

Hi, my situation also similar to you. Shall we apply H1B filing if DOS approval under review?

So, I would like to share my experience in case someone need in future and won't have all the headache I had.

I was a J2 dependent of my ex husband wich was the J1. After divorce and leave USA for being in an abusive relationship, I moved to Europe to start a new life. My current partner is American and in February 2019 we started our K1 Fiance Visa to get married. Then after that I figured out my previous J2 Visa was under the two years home country rule. As I did not come back to my home country Brasil but was living in Ireland since then, the only option for me was apply for the Waiver.

I started my Waiver on April 2019 and only this month on April 3 I got my favorable recommendation, after one year! I think it is unusual to a J2 as dependent request to a Waiver. The situation devastated me and my Fiance waiting for the recommendation for one year but now finally God listened our prayers and we can continue with our Fiance Visa!

So if any J2 holder need to apply for a Waiver please contact me cause I will explain better how to do it, but I can resume that in our case, is not the "no objection letter" basis but the IGA basis.

Good luck to everybody, I think no one will wait more than I did lol

Edited by Giselle Jones

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.