JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, anu55 said:

Oh no! I am sorry. I might also start looking for a job elsewhere - everyone has been telling me to do that as a fall back option but I have been hoping against hope :( They said the same to me too - 12-16 weeks and longer in some cases! Arghhhh! 

Thanks! I was also hoping for positive output. I have a faculty job in hand.. but enough is enough I can't take this anymore.  :( I hope whatever happening is for the best.  

Edited by J1waiver1

6 minutes ago, J1waiver1 said:

Thanks! I was also hoping for positive output. I have a faulty job in hand.. but enough is enough I can't take this anymore.  :( I hope whatever happening is for the best.  

Me too - I have had a job in hand since last year and due to this entirely miserable process have been suspended in time....endlessly waiting. My employer revised my start date but this seems to be never ending. 

On 4/7/2020 at 4:33 AM, jessjess said:

@j1waiverornot I had a J1 visa from 2011 which I never knew I was subject to the home residency until I came to the AOS stage. It turned out I was on the home country skill list and the advisory opinion said I was subject as well. My J1 lawyer said it never becomes an issue until you are applying for adjustment of status. I'd say best to consult with a lawyer. And don't wait on advisory opinion. If you are on your home country's skill list, you're very likely subject to the residency. Best to submit the advisory opinion and apply for No Objection Statement with your home country at the same time. That way you don't lose time on waiting for advisory opinion.  

Hi! I will be applying from outside the US which is not AOS, which means I may not need a waiver? My employer decided to just go forward with the h1b without the waiver. Hopefully it works... there's no premium processing now so not sure how long the process will take, plus the virus.

8 hours ago, brhacker said:

This is my latest update, does anyone have any info about sponsor views?

CDD4B1EF-94BD-4E04-B7E1-82C2532AD9D9.jpeg

If your J1 was sponsored financially by an institution etc., DOS asks for the sponsor views. They send it themselves and the institution sponsored you sends it to them. You can check with them to expedite this step if you'd like.  Have you received Fullbright ? 

Hi all,

I have sent my J1 waiver application to the St. Louis address in the beginning of March. So, my packet should have arrived there almost 6 weeks ago. However, when I login to the DOS website to check my status it says "there is not status information", so I don't even know if they received my documents.

I know that it can take up to 4 weeks before there is a status on the website, and I suspect that the public health emergeny does not help.... Nevertheless I am getting a bit worried now they might not have received my application. Does anybody have a similar timeline and any news about their status?

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, waiver2020 said:

If your J1 was sponsored financially by an institution etc., DOS asks for the sponsor views. They send it themselves and the institution sponsored you sends it to them. You can check with them to expedite this step if you'd like.  Have you received Fullbright ? 

I had a J-1 visa back in 2014-2015 funded by my country government (Brazil) but on the DS-2019 it states an US sponsor (IIE) which i believe is the one responsible for managing the funds. Right now I am on J-1 visa funded by the company i am working for and the sponsor program is an US agency as well. The waiver I am applying for is for the current J-1 visa. Why would they ask for sponsor views if the US company is the one funding my current program? Do you know how long it takes for the sponsor to get the request? I noticed the status update on the site yesterday so I emailed the sponsor from 2014 and my current sponsor to see if they received anything. The sponsor of 2014 said that they didn't but I am not even sure if they are the one that will get the DOS request.

3 minutes ago, brhacker said:

I had a J-1 visa back in 2014-2015 funded by my country government (Brazil) but on the DS-2019 it states an US sponsor (IIE) which i believe is the one responsible for managing the funds. Right now I am on J-1 visa funded by the company i am working for and the sponsor program is an US agency as well. The waiver I am applying for is for the current J-1 visa. Why would they ask for sponsor views if the US company is the one funding my current program? Do you know how long it takes for the sponsor to get the request? I noticed the status update on the site yesterday so I emailed the sponsor from 2014 and my current sponsor to see if they received anything. The sponsor of 2014 said that they didn't but I am not even sure if they are the one that will get the DOS request.

As far as I know, the waiver will waive all J1's you ever had. The one you mentioned on the DS3035 should be getting the sponsor request. If you mentioned the latest J1 visa info on the form, that's the one the views are going to be asked from. It doesn't matter if it's a US funding or your home country. Either way they'll ask for the views. I saw some people's timelines here with the sponsor views. Some took a month. It shouldn't be longer than that tbh. I'd check with your current sponsor from time to time. Good luck. 

13 minutes ago, waiver2020 said:

As far as I know, the waiver will waive all J1's you ever had. The one you mentioned on the DS3035 should be getting the sponsor request. If you mentioned the latest J1 visa info on the form, that's the one the views are going to be asked from. It doesn't matter if it's a US funding or your home country. Either way they'll ask for the views. I saw some people's timelines here with the sponsor views. Some took a month. It shouldn't be longer than that tbh. I'd check with your current sponsor from time to time. Good luck. 

Thank you @waiver2020. This forum is so helpful. Super grateful to you all.

34 minutes ago, waiver2020 said:

I just checked my DS3035 and it does mention all the J-1 visas on it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.