2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline
33 minutes ago, PL-Waiver said:

Hi,

My case was approved by DoS today.

Here is the timeline:

My embassy sent the NOS on 12/27/2019. (It took 1.5 months for DoS to update in their tracking system)

I sent the application packet to DoS on 12/27/2019. (Again it took 4 weeks for DoS to update in their tracking system)

My J-1 sponsor sent the Sponsor Views on 3/5/2020. (It is interesting that this date was shown as 3/1/2020. They actually updated this date with the recommendation on the same day)

Will share the USCIS timeline later.

Thanks everyone on this forum. Good luck to you all.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent March, 10 2020
Sponsor Views Received March, 01 2020
Request for Sponsor Views Sent February, 18 2020
No Objection Statement Received February, 10 2020
Fee Received January, 23 2020
Form DS-3035 Received January, 23 2020
Form DS-2019 Received January, 23 2020
Passport Data Page Received January, 23 2020
Statement Of Reason Received January, 23 2020

congratulation

I have been waiting for mine since January. Did you get any email from DoS saying that they have received everything and the case is now ready to review?

Also I believe you had some kind of Gov funding in you DS2019 and that’s why DoS needed sponsors view. I am listed under skill list in DS2019 so I am confused whether DoS will ask sponsor view or not. 

8 minutes ago, Dev1971 said:

congratulation

I have been waiting for mine since January. Did you get any email from DoS saying that they have received everything and the case is now ready to review?

Also I believe you had some kind of Gov funding in you DS2019 and that’s why DoS needed sponsors view. I am listed under skill list in DS2019 so I am confused whether DoS will ask sponsor view or not. 

Thanks.

1. I did not receive this kind of emails from DoS. Even I sent few emails to them.

2. Yes, I have US gov funding indicated in my DS2019s. Sorry I do not know the answer to your question, cuz mine did not mark in the skill list. Hope someone else on this forum can answer it. Good luck.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline
1 minute ago, PL-Waiver said:

Thanks.

1. I did not receive this kind of emails from DoS. Even I sent few emails to them.

2. Yes, I have US gov funding indicated in my DS2019s. Sorry I do not know the answer to your question, cuz mine did not mark in the skill list. Hope someone else on this forum can answer it. Good luck.

That helps. Thanks

6 hours ago, PL-Waiver said:

Hi,

My case was approved by DoS today.

Here is the timeline:

My embassy sent the NOS on 12/27/2019. (It took 1.5 months for DoS to update in their tracking system)

I sent the application packet to DoS on 12/27/2019. (Again it took 4 weeks for DoS to update in their tracking system)

My J-1 sponsor sent the Sponsor Views on 3/5/2020. (It is interesting that this date was shown as 3/1/2020. They actually updated this date with the recommendation on the same day)

Will share the USCIS timeline later.

Thanks everyone on this forum. Good luck to you all.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent March, 10 2020
Sponsor Views Received March, 01 2020
Request for Sponsor Views Sent February, 18 2020
No Objection Statement Received February, 10 2020
Fee Received January, 23 2020
Form DS-3035 Received January, 23 2020
Form DS-2019 Received January, 23 2020
Passport Data Page Received January, 23 2020
Statement Of Reason Received January, 23 2020

Congrats. In my case DOS recieved my documents on Feb 25, my embassy sent NOL on March 4 but there is no information on their website yet. I am still waiting for them to update their tracking system. Wish me luck guys. 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Congo DR
Timeline

Hello 

I am currently a J1 in California, ( hospitality industry) and I would Like to waive my 2 years. 
my program will end on 28th August and I have no idea How to process 

1. any samples of statement of reason that i can follow? 

2. Any suggestions for me will be welcome 

thank you all 

7 hours ago, Lolom said:

Hello 

I am currently a J1 in California, ( hospitality industry) and I would Like to waive my 2 years. 
my program will end on 28th August and I have no idea How to process 

1. any samples of statement of reason that i can follow? 

2. Any suggestions for me will be welcome 

thank you all 

Hi Lolom,

I will recommend, as a first step, to find out what are the requirements from your home embassy to provide you with the No objection statement. You can sometimes find out this information on the embassy website or you can directly send email to your embassy.

After that, I would follow the official website:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html

Regarding the Statement of reason, when I was preparing my application I was able to find one example online. I modified that example based on my specific case.

Here is the example which I used: http://www.j1waivertips.com/sample-statement-of-reason-for-j1-visa-waiver-application-at-us-dept-of-state/

Let me know if you have some other questions.

Veronika.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Congo DR
Timeline

Hello veronika

Thank you so much for your help, I am going to apply under the no objection but I do not have any job offer also the end of my program is 08/27/2020 do you think that is too early to apply? 

kind regards 

2 hours ago, LauCC said:

did you get the recommendation? 

Congratulations!

Guys my NOS received on December 18, 2019. Status is still pending. My case is simple without any funding. 

I started my process in September. Initially DOS missed my NOS, my embassy resent it then DOS updated it on December 18. It has been more than 12 weeks and there is no update. I know people whose NOS received in January already received their FR. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

8 hours ago, BL_07 said:

Congratulations!

Guys my NOS received on December 18, 2019. Status is still pending. My case is simple without any funding. 

I started my process in September. Initially DOS missed my NOS, my embassy resent it then DOS updated it on December 18. It has been more than 12 weeks and there is no update. I know people whose NOS received in January already received their FR. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

Did you email DOS about the status of your case? 

8 hours ago, Lolom said:

Hello veronika

Thank you so much for your help, I am going to apply under the no objection but I do not have any job offer also the end of my program is 08/27/2020 do you think that is too early to apply? 

kind regards 

Hi,

Are you in your 5th year of your J1 visa? If not I will first recommend to extend your J1 visa as much as possible before going for waiver. After you will apply for a J1 waiver, you are not able to do J1 visa extension. 

I do not think that job offer is needed for J1 visa waiver.

You should start with your application as soon as possible because the waiver takes a lot of time. It took to DOS 1.5 month from the time when I sent the application to the point when they updated my case to the stage of "received documents". Then it depends if you have a government funding. If yes this can make your time processing even longer because your sponsor will be asked for sponsor views. The DOS official website is now saying that the processing time can take up to 4 months since they will receive all the documents. After DOS will approve your case you still need to wait for the final USCIS decision which can take also some time.

Veronika

Edited by Veronikac

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.