JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, NJP said:

Hello All,

Could any one answer my question?

1. Is there any channel to expedite the process at DOS of waiver status?

2. Would there any advantage to call the DOS and explain my situation for expedite the process?

Thanks.

I sent them an fax to expedite my process. But they then ask me some other documents for the expedite. I ignore it and my case is pending for 3 months.

I am now preparing some documents will fax them again.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:31 AM, WAIVER_2019 said:

Got my I-797C notice from USCIS, and I am waiting for the final approval notice from USCIS. The forum really helps me a lot and share my timeline here: 

Background: J-1 post-doc since 2017, programs with no government funding 

Reason to apply for waiver: change status to H1B (approved, consular processing)

Home Embassy: 

2019-07-17: filed petition for no objection statement

2019-10-02: embassy sent out no objection letter to DOS

DOS: 

2019-07-17: sent out application documents via USPS Priority Express (overnight)

2019-07-18: package arrived at DOS office via tracking number 

2019-07-22: checked being cashed

2019-07-31: DOS status updated received fee, DS2019, DS3035, passport page, statement of reason

2019-10-28: DOS status updated received No Objection Statement — 4 weeks after home embassy sent the letter

2019-10-31: DOS status updated recommendation letter sent

2019-11-08: received recommendation letter copy in my mail box -- normal stamp 

USCIS:

2019-11-12 morning: call USCIS at 800-375-5283 to check receipt number -- give your full name, A-number/SSN, date of birth, current address, mention filed I-612 form. The agent suggested to call them between 8 am to 11 am ET and asked for tier 2 officer for help. Call them one week after DOS sent out the FR. 

2019-11-12 afternoon: received the I-797C in my mail box. case was received on 2019-11-07 and process at another office in USCIS.

Good luck to everyone ! 

@WAIVER_2019 Thanks for sharing your timeline and tips. It's been 10 days since the DOS updated my case status as Favorable Recommendation and I haven't received the receipt number. I tried to call 800-375-5283 but they couldn't find any record yet and said they need to forward me to the next level who has more authority to look it up, but they couldn't forward me due to the high volume of calls they are receiving. 

Do you have any tips about how to get a hold of them faster? or how the phone menu process was like? It took me a long time to navigate to a rep on the phone. Thank you very much!

On 12/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, adshah said:

Sharing my timeline to see if anyone else is currently facing similar wait time. My case number is 16415XX

October 27, 2019: J-1 waiver application submitted online, case number geneated.

October 31, 2019: Application packet (printed application, fees money order, supporting documents) sent

November 3, 2019: Application packet received (USPS tracking confirmed)

November 5, 2019: Fees money order cashed (was a USPS money order, submitted a "6401 Inquiry" money order enquiry at my local post office, received a copy of the cashed money order a week later).

November 19, 2019: NOC sent to US DoS (Confirmed by email from Indian Embassy in Washington)

December 10, 2019...: No information regarding my case in DoS's online system.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding:

Item Action Date

Go_back.gif Enter_case_no.gif
Currently, there is no information regarding the status of your case. If you would like additional information, please contact Public Inquiries at 212ewaiver@state.gov

I sent an email with all required information to the email address on December 3, 2019, but have not received any response yet.

Does this timeline seem normal? I would at least expect to see that my documents (except the NOC) received since they were delivered over a month ago. Anyone else in similar situation with no updates at all for over a month?

I am getting nervous especially because one of my colleague (same country of origin, employer, visa category etc.) submitted her application on October 4, was showed received online on October 14, NOC received on October 25, favorable recommendation sent on November 16, USCIS final approval received by mail on December 4. With exactly the same case, how does one case get all cleared in 2 months, and another not even marked received for almost 2 months?

If anything, I hope someone else with a similar timeline finds this message reassuring that such delays are normal!!!

Hi,

In my case also showing as like your case. Could please give suggestions, what shall I process now? It's very urgent bcz my visa expires soon.

image.thumb.png.56dd390b754f3083c67dc1f5db7e165f.png

On 1/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, Han77 said:

Hi Adshah,

did you hear anything from the Congressmen's office? I re-sent all my documents to St. Louis with a cover letter and supporting documents but I have no hope that they will be processed on time. As of today (01/13) there is still no update on the webpage.

So I have some updates now.

I said in my previous reply that I resent all documents (except fee) to BOTH St. Louis and Washington office of DoS. The packed was delivered to St. Louis office on 1/18/2020 and to the Washington office on 1/21/2020.

Concurrently, I had also contacted my Congressmen's office for help in this regard, and had submitted all evidence and documents to them on 1/13/2020.

I got an email from the Congressmen's office today morning (1/22/2020) that they will start working on my request. Same day in the afternoon I got another email form the Congressmen's Office, with the response they received from the DoS Waiver Review Division (WRD) on their inquiry. The WRD said they received my application packet only today (1/22/2020) and have sent me a letter requesting some additional documents.

So my assessment of the situation (no way to prove this), is that the WRD is referring to the second application they received on 1/21/2020 and have started processing that. And the WRD was much more responsive to an email inquiry from the Congressmen's office (responded within 2 hours) compared to if I sent an email (more than a month).

Based on my experience, if there is no change in your situation as of today, I would recommend you contact your Congressmen's office for help and sent an application packet to DoS's Washington Office.

By the way, even though the WRD confirmed that they received my application and have sent me a letter for additional documents, there is no update on my case number in their system online. Just FYI.

1 hour ago, adshah said:

So I have some updates now.

I said in my previous reply that I resent all documents (except fee) to BOTH St. Louis and Washington office of DoS. The packed was delivered to St. Louis office on 1/18/2020 and to the Washington office on 1/21/2020.

Concurrently, I had also contacted my Congressmen's office for help in this regard, and had submitted all evidence and documents to them on 1/13/2020.

I got an email from the Congressmen's office today morning (1/22/2020) that they will start working on my request. Same day in the afternoon I got another email form the Congressmen's Office, with the response they received from the DoS Waiver Review Division (WRD) on their inquiry. The WRD said they received my application packet only today (1/22/2020) and have sent me a letter requesting some additional documents.

So my assessment of the situation (no way to prove this), is that the WRD is referring to the second application they received on 1/21/2020 and have started processing that. And the WRD was much more responsive to an email inquiry from the Congressmen's office (responded within 2 hours) compared to if I sent an email (more than a month).

Based on my experience, if there is no change in your situation as of today, I would recommend you contact your Congressmen's office for help and sent an application packet to DoS's Washington Office.

By the way, even though the WRD confirmed that they received my application and have sent me a letter for additional documents, there is no update on my case number in their system online. Just FYI.

Thank you very much for the update.

As of today I still don't have any updates regarding my case. The thing is, some how after my last extension of J-1 visa, (In October) U.S. Embassy in Turkey stated that I am NOT subject to 2 year rule (written on my visa). However since I have been always subject to it for the last 4 years, months ago Columbia wanted me to start the waiver process to be on the safe side. Since I have been experiencing these issues I contacted the Embassy and they insisted that I am NOT subject to 2 year rule (my expertise area number is 26.15 Neuroscience and it is not listed in the skills list). Therefore, we filed the H1-B application today (without waiting for the waiver) and in parallel we requested an opinion from the DOS. So, maybe I won't need a waiver.

However, in line with your suggestion I will submit my documents to the Washington office tomorrow too. I don't know the congressmen office here but I will contact them most probably next week.

Thank you very much and good luck to all of us.

Hi everybody,

I was trying to fill the online DS 3035 form for a J1 visa waiver and I got an error message when I entered my I-94 number (issued December 2019). Since May 2019, the I-94 includes not only numbers but also one letter but the online form DS 3035 does not accept letters. It is giving me an error message: Number cannot be validated - must contain 11 digits only.

Did somebody deal with the same problem?

Thank you very much!

On 12/15/2019 at 11:22 PM, qwerty101 said:

Hi,

I've currently applied for the waiver based on a NOS from my home country. There was no (US or home) govt. funding involved in my case. I had obtained an advisory opinion earlier which confirmed the reason for my residency requirement being the EV skills list for India. Here's my timeline so far.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 10.20.27 PM.png

Got my FR today!!! Finally!!

I had contacted my local congressman's office for help as my F-1 OPT had already started and my employer wouldn't let me join unless I have my waiver approved. So needed the decision ASAP to avoid being unemployed on my OPT.

image.thumb.png.068e31bf30a0275d24e56c240f5d5bef.png

Hi!

I've currently applied for the waiver based on a NOS from my home country. This is my timeline to date:

• Request for Sponsor Views Sent             December, 04 2019
  • Sponsor Views Requested                        December, 03 2019
  • No Objection Statement Received           October, 31 2019
  • Fee, Form DS-3035, Form DS-2019, Passport Data Page , Statement Of Reason, Other Received September, 03 2019

I was wondering if anyone has a similar timeline. And on the other hand if anyone has any advice about whether it is necessary to contact the sponsor to speed up the process. My J1 (a short stay) was partly funded by the department of state (>$1000) 

Thank you. 

Edited by SinfoChimp

Hi,

I have sent the J1 waiver application on Dec 3rd 2019, and went to home country on Dec8th 2019 and back on Jan 10th 2020.

I have requested NOS to home country embassy on Jan 12th 2020.

Would there be any issue of J1 waiver acceptance?  Because I've not given the details of US entry and exit dates during Dec 2019 in J1 waiver application.

I appreciate to provide the suggestions on this.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, SinfoChimp said:

Hi!

I've currently applied for the waiver based on a NOS from my home country. This is my timeline to date:

• Request for Sponsor Views Sent             December, 04 2019
  • Sponsor Views Requested                        December, 03 2019
  • No Objection Statement Received           October, 31 2019
  • Fee, Form DS-3035, Form DS-2019, Passport Data Page , Statement Of Reason, Other Received September, 03 2019

I was wondering if anyone has a similar timeline. And on the other hand if anyone has any advice about whether it is necessary to contact the sponsor to speed up the process. My J1 (a short stay) was partly funded by the department of state (>$1000) 

Thank you. 

Hello, 

I'm currently waiting... the DOS received the NOS on Dec. 10, but they haven't requested the sponsors views yet... now that I see your case, I can see that there was also a gap between the date that they received the NOS and the Request of views... not sure why it takes them so long though..

The rest of my documents were received on Nov. 25th. 

Please keep us posted!

Best of luck!!

Dear All,

Upon receiving my J1 waiver application DoS updated my case number to the case number, which I received during the advisory opinion for subject to 212e. However, my home country sent the waiver letter with the case number on the bar code. Now I am very worried that the DoS will not be able to link the waiver letter to my updated/consolidated J1 case file. Has anyone have faced similar situation? Can you please advise what should I do? 

Edited by anu55

On 1/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, J1visa said:

Hi, @Mgj1 yay!!! Yes, I just got it today!! :) I am sooo happy!! As it takes some days for them to receive the documents, mine says that they received it on 1/07/2020. 

Hopefully our cases will be approved soon and for sure, before February!! :) 

Positive vibes!!! 

Hi,

I just checked the DoS website to find out that they have issued a favorable recommendation for my J-1 waiver. Now, it seems I've to wait for a letter from USCIS as the final confirmation for the favorable recommendation. For that, do I need to do anything, i.e. fill up any form or something? Or will it be taken care automatically? Also, after how many days of the favorable recommendation by the DoS can I expect the letter from USCIS to be in hand?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.