psho

HELP! Do photos need to be sent back with Packet 3?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Actually, it's not. At least, not about the OP's question. Nor about other questions. There are statements in there that contradict VJer experience and the forms and the checklist that gets mailed out (esp re the medical exam, for example).

The DS-230-I should be completed and returned immediately to the Immigrant Visa Unit at 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London, W1A 2JB, in order for the Embassy to begin the administrative processing of the application. Failure to return the DS-230-I promptly will delay the processing of the application. At the same time, please complete and return the form DS-156 and DS-156K and DS-157 if applicable.

On the form, it says there is a space for a photo, so, while returning DS-156 (along with the DS-230, DS-156K/DS-157), I would include photos required. Seems clear to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Actually, it's not. At least, not about the OP's question. Nor about other questions. There are statements in there that contradict VJer experience and the forms and the checklist that gets mailed out (esp re the medical exam, for example).

The DS-230-I should be completed and returned immediately to the Immigrant Visa Unit at 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London, W1A 2JB, in order for the Embassy to begin the administrative processing of the application. Failure to return the DS-230-I promptly will delay the processing of the application. At the same time, please complete and return the form DS-156 and DS-156K and DS-157 if applicable.

On the form, it says there is a space for a photo, so, while returning DS-156 (along with the DS-230, DS-156K/DS-157), I would include photos required. Seems clear to me.

it's clear to you based on the presumptions that YOU make based on YOUR reading of those instructions. But since the language you quote does not so much as mention photos themselves, the language is not a clear answer of anything. and others have asked similar questions in the past, implying that it is common area of confusion for filers. Part of those forms don't even get completed (signed) until the interview anyway.

Want to move this thread back to the UK forum now?

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Timeline

it's clear to you based on the presumptions that YOU make based on YOUR reading of those instructions. But since the language you quote does not so much as mention photos themselves, the language is not a clear answer of anything. and others have asked similar questions in the past, implying that it is common area of confusion for filers. Part of those forms don't even get completed (signed) until the interview anyway.

Want to move this thread back to the UK forum now?

Not sure why you want oto fight every thing I write but hey, your call.

I read instructions on forms & I would like to think VJers do as well. So yes, I would include a 2" x 2" photo, as noted on page 1 of P3. (http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=13&pos=0)

Part of the embassy's instructions were omitted, forgive me.

What do I do first?

The biographic data form DS-23O-I should be completed for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. The form may be photocopied if insufficient copies are received for each family member. The DS-230-I should be completed and returned immediately to the Immigrant Visa Unit at 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London, W1A 2JB, in order for the Embassy to begin the administrative processing of the application. Failure to return the DS-230-I promptly will delay the processing of the application. At the same time, please complete and return the form DS-156 and DS-156K and DS-157 if applicable. Note: Please do not sign the the DS-156 or DS-156K. The forms must be signed before a consular officer on the day of the visa interview.

What is the second step?

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of your application and forward the document checklist, IV-15, to the Immigrant Visa Unit. These documents must not be mailed to the Embassy. You will be required to furnish the original of all documents and one copy on the day of the formal visa interview and medical examination.

Edited by devilette

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Yes there are spaces on the forms requiring photos, but I can see how you would be unclear. Each embassy offers a different set of directions, I can only speak for the Ankara Embassy. They clearly explain that photos must be submitted with the application, and even list the approved places to get the photo taken properly.

That being said, we are erring on the side of caution. We make two of everything- one set to send in and one set to bring to the interview.

It's not that much extra work- and brings enormous piece of mind!

Good Luck

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Going by the recent experience of JamalnTam (from the Consulate review section):

He asked for my birth cert, divorce cert, police cert, 2 passport photos and the I-134, which I handed to him.

and featherB:

She took my passport photos and stuck them onto the DS-156s, and asked for my birth certificate (and copy), police certificate (and copy), and the affidavit of support.

It appears that the passport-style photos are not required untl the interview (which was my original question) -- at least for London.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this!

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.