jackson6658

K1 Visa Criminal Record Check fingerprint based or name check?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just learned this: "As of September 10, 2018 a fingerprint-based, certified criminal record check REQUESTED UNDER THE CANADIAN PRIVACY ACT from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is required by U.S. Consular posts in Canada" from US visa website. I only did a regular name checked criminal record check from local police station. My Montreal interview in on Feb 13,2019.  Is there anyone who got k1 visa approved with a reguar name checked criminal record check? Or anyone's application was delayed due to no finger print based criminal record check? and what happened next?  Where to get the finger print based criminal record check done in Toronto? How long it takes? Thank you for any sharing or opinion!!   

NOA1 Apr 19, 2018  

NOA2 Oct 18.2018  

Packet 4 recieved Jan 11,2019

K1 Interview date: Feb 13,2019

K1 Visa received: Feb 21,2019

US Entry: April 7,2019

AOS Filed: April 30,2019

Bio Appt: May 30,2019

AOS interview date: Sep 10,2019(GREEN CARD APPROVED!!)

Timeline

First, can you edit your post to break it up into paragraphs? It’s hard to read as is. 

Second, you’ll want to get the fingerprints based one. You can go to any RCMP station and request it under the privacy act (the request is free but you’ll pay about $60 for the fingerprints). 

I just printed out that page from the USCIS site and brought it with me so they could see what I was referencing if they had questions. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, C32 said:

First, can you edit your post to break it up into paragraphs? It’s hard to read as is. 

Second, you’ll want to get the fingerprints based one. You can go to any RCMP station and request it under the privacy act (the request is free but you’ll pay about $60 for the fingerprints). 

I just printed out that page from the USCIS site and brought it with me so they could see what I was referencing if they had questions. 

Thank you!

NOA1 Apr 19, 2018  

NOA2 Oct 18.2018  

Packet 4 recieved Jan 11,2019

K1 Interview date: Feb 13,2019

K1 Visa received: Feb 21,2019

US Entry: April 7,2019

AOS Filed: April 30,2019

Bio Appt: May 30,2019

AOS interview date: Sep 10,2019(GREEN CARD APPROVED!!)

Timeline

"RCMP  non certified criminal records check with fingerprints- this is for people who DO NOT HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD and have applied for for an immigration benefit. This is when they (RCMP/Commissionaires ) select "Privacy check" under the privacy act/Canadian law. The outcome mailed to you DOES NOT HAVE your fingerprint visible on the form due to Canadian privacy laws but your fingerprints have been checked against their biometrics databases. This form is not sealed with RCMP certified  insignia. THIS is the form that will be required f or k1 visa's. "

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The issue I had recently (last month) when I did this, was that the RCMP detachment told me to contact the US Consulate or Embassy I am involved with to ask for EXACTLY what is needed because a "certified fingerprint based criminal record check, under the PRIVACY ACT" does not exist.
The RCMP office told me that there is either one or the other, and they cannot physically do both in Canada. I can have either the certified fingerprint based record check, or the record check under 
the Privacy Act (which is not certified).
So I emailed the consulate to get solid clarification, and they replied with: 

To ensure full disclosure of criminal record information, U.S. diplomatic and consular offices in Canada require that you obtain a copy of your criminal record REQUESTED UNDER THE CANADIAN PRIVACY ACT based on fingerprint-based searches from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.  To obtain a copy of your criminal record under the Privacy Act, you must submit your fingerprints to a local police service or RCMP-approved partner agency.  YOU MUST STATE THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING THE RECORD UNDER THE PRIVACY ACT AND NOT GIVE “VISA APPLICATION” AS THE PURPOSE OF THE REQUEST.  You must also specifically request the record which includes the “RCMP National Repository entire holdings.”  Failure to follow these instructions exactly will lead to a document that will not be accepted by the consular section.  While the Government of Canada does not charge for this service, designated fingerprint collection companies may charge their own service fee for processing.  Once processed by RCMP, the document will be sent directly to you and you should then provide it to the requesting U.S. embassy or consulate.  Applicants previously convicted of a crime in Canada should expect the process to take several months. 

So I printed the email out to show the embassy when I go to my interview (if there is an issue... I don't suspect there will be but it's always "better safe than sorry" during this process)
At the RCMP detachment, they put the request as under the PRIVACY ACT, and wrote "National Repository entire holdings" as the reason for request (as to NOT write it being for a visa, because Ottawa wont accept the search request under the privacy act if there is no reason listed 😊

Also, it took exactly 10 business days for me to receive the completed criminal record search back  in the mail.

Edited by EdmoAm

K1 & K2:
I129f Sent: March 23, 2018

NOA1: March 29, 2018
RFE: September 29, 2018
RFE reply: October 12, 2018 (Re-sent USC birth certificate and beneficiary's divorce certificate)
NOA2: November 03, 2018 (219 days from NOA1)
NVC Received: November 23, 2018 (20 days from NOA2)

NVC Case Number: December 07, 2018 (14 days from NVC received)
NVC Left: December 26, 2018 (19 days from NVC case number)
Consulate Received: December 31, 2018 (5 days from NVC left)
CEAC status 'Ready': January 7, 2019 (7 days from consulate received)
P3 Sent: January 14, 2019 (7 days from 'Ready')
P4 Received: February 1, 2019 (18 days from P3 sent)
Interview: March 13, 2019- APPROVED! (40 days from P4; 349 days from NOA1)
Visa in Hand: June 3, 2019 (82 days since interview)

(Guaranteed delivery date March 21, 2019- Canada Post "lost" my package)
                               Passports/Visas officially declared "lost": April 15, 2019 (33 days since interview)
                               Reapply for new passports: April 16, 2019 (34 days since interview)

Received New Passports: April 29, 2019 (47 days since interview)
                               New Passports Delivered to Consulate: May 2, 2019 (50 days since interview)
                               USC Contacted State Senator to request inquiry: May 23, 2019 (71 days since interview)

POE: June 20, 2019
Marriage: August 13, 2019

AOS

I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent: September 9, 2019
I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA1: September 16, 2019
I-485, I-165 Biometrics: October 10, 2019
I-485 Case update- ready to be scheduled for interview : November 8, 2019

I-485 Case update- Interview has been scheduled: November 13, 2019 (Dallas, Tx)
Interview:

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.