Greenbaum

FEBRUARY 2019 K-1 NOA2 ----> NVC

2,103 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, JMEngland said:

just gotta get the medical done and we'll be good to go 😁😁😁

have we for sure verified that Ukraine has went digital though? last I had heard, ceac will show ready once sent, but it'll then change back, then a few days later itll change to ready again once they are truly ready.

@Shirancan you chime in? that would be amazing to have that early of a date, but I'm scared that she'll show up and theyll turn her away and we'll have to pay the fee again. 

3 hours ago, Prizm123 said:

interesting. I wonder why they have mine as ready since Wed. The hardcopy is still en route and eta is Monday. It doesn't really make much difference to us since she has her medical scheduled on the 18th regardless, so by that time it really will be truly ready. Thanks for the follow up, now we have conflicting and confusing information, which I supposes is par for the course, and as they say YMMV!

its too bad, because I was hoping my case would help others 🙁

My experience was what Prizm described. More specifically: 

• Case ships out and shows "In Transit" for about a day. You get a very official looking e-mail (K1-FTP) from NVC send to petitioner e-mail but weirdly addressed to beneficiary. 
  • Case shows "Ready" and DHL is trackable and shows package en-route from Boston.
  • DHL shows it as delivered  usually on Friday same week it shipped.
  • Following Monday case changes to "Ready" again (the only way you realize it changed, because "touched" date is updated) Same day beneficiary will receive e-mail with 2 attachments: IMBRA / Spousal abuse pamphlet and digital scanned copy of APPROVED 129F form as well as a list of instructions for what is needed (exact copy of what is on Ukranian embassy website) 

I believe you fully CAN schedule appointment when if goes "Ready" for the first time, BUT I didn't try to schedule it so quickly so it happens before it actually arrived. I think to do that is a mistake.  Unless things inexplicably slow down at Embassy like they did at NVC, assume one week (6 days) from the shipment day until case is fully ready, which in great scheme of things is not that huge of a delay. There is no shortage of interview slots typically. But from my experience it is not too big of a deal to cancel if you need to. So, if you are really eager,  and fully  ready, I would schedule it for March 26 or later, assuming it ships on March 19. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, Shiran said:

My experience was what Prizm described. More specifically: 

• Case ships out and shows "In Transit" for about a day. You get a very official looking e-mail (K1-FTP) from NVC send to petitioner e-mail but weirdly addressed to beneficiary. 
  • Case shows "Ready" and DHL is trackable and shows package en-route from Boston.
  • DHL shows it as delivered  usually on Friday same week it shipped.
  • Following Monday case changes to "Ready" again (the only way you realize it changed, because "touched" date is updated) Same day beneficiary will receive e-mail with 2 attachments: IMBRA / Spousal abuse pamphlet and digital scanned copy of APPROVED 129F form as well as a list of instructions for what is needed (exact copy of what is on Ukranian embassy website) 

I believe you fully CAN schedule appointment when if goes "Ready" for the first time, BUT I didn't try to schedule it so quickly so it happens before it actually arrived. I think to do that is a mistake.  Unless things inexplicably slow down at Embassy like they did at NVC, assume one week (6 days) from the shipment day until case is fully ready, which in great scheme of things is not that huge of a delay. There is no shortage of interview slots typically. But from my experience it is not too big of a deal to cancel if you need to. So, if you are really eager,  and fully  ready, I would schedule it for March 26 or later, assuming it ships on March 19. 

I scheduled ours for March 27.  Her medical exam is on Monday the 11th, there was no waiting at all for this.  I have the medical center email if anyone needs it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

It's great seeing people from the same country helping each other!! 😁

I searched for Croatian thread and there was no activity since April last year so I posted something but no one has replied yet 🤨lol,. It would just be easier to have someone to talk to about the process. Good luck to everyone on their journey! 💜

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

At this point I’m just waiting for March 19th to be able to do anything so of course I decided to check my status on the CEAC tracker and then I got myself very worried. When I look for my case by selecting Nonimmigrant visa (K1 is Nonimmigrant right?) entering my location and ds160 application ID I get that the status is “NO STATUS”. But when I enter my NVC case number in the applicationID/nvc number field instead of my DS160 application ID I get invalid application ID or case number.

so I tried selecting immigrant visa instead of Nonimmigrant visa and entering my NVC case number and then the status reads “At NVC”. Does anyone know why it shows up as an immigrant visa? I’m worried somehow my cases aren’t linked correctly or are misclassified 🙈

Edited by Sohamahmoud91

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Sohamahmoud91 said:

At this point I’m just waiting for March 19th to be able to do anything so of course I decided to check my status on the CEAC tracker and then I got myself very worried. When I look for my case by selecting Nonimmigrant visa (K1 is Nonimmigrant right?) entering my location and ds160 application ID I get that the status is “NO STATUS”. But when I enter my NVC case number in the applicationID/nvc number field instead of my DS160 application ID I get invalid application ID or case number.

so I tried selecting immigrant visa instead of Nonimmigrant visa and entering my NVC case number and then the status reads “At NVC”. Does anyone know why it shows up as an immigrant visa? I’m worried somehow my cases aren’t linked correctly or are misclassified 🙈

I've read here VJ members saying that you should check it under an immigrant visa. So it's not actually an immigrant visa , but nonimmigrant with an intent to immigrate. I dont know the right way to explain it🤔

Edited by Nafisa Zaripova

33 minutes ago, Sohamahmoud91 said:

The K-1 process is quite strange. For a time, it is both a non-immigrant and immigrant visa type. That is why the links (what you received in the email) will send you the process for immigrant which would be the I-864 and DS-260 even though it truly is a non-immigrant visa requiring I-134 and the DS-160. As you go through the stages, within the NVC system you look up your file under immigrant (ceac.state.gov/). It stays that way until after your interview and the approval and your visa is ready for issue. At that point, it changes over to non-immigrant. It truly is a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

The K-1 process is quite strange. For a time, it is both a non-immigrant and immigrant visa type. That is why the links (what you received in the email) will send you the process for immigrant which would be the I-864 and DS-260 even though it truly is a non-immigrant visa requiring I-134 and the DS-160. As you go through the stages, within the NVC system you look up your file under immigrant (ceac.state.gov/). It stays that way until after your interview and the approval and your visa is ready for issue. At that point, it changes over to non-immigrant. It truly is a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent.

Thank you so much for the explanation your expertise is so reassuring in this process and in general I just want to thank everyone who shares bits of their own cases and makes it easier for those who may have not crossed that bridge yet. I honestly am so grateful that I have everyone here as a resource! Thank you to all 🙏

3 hours ago, JonMarta said:

It's great seeing people from the same country helping each other!! 😁

I searched for Croatian thread and there was no activity since April last year so I posted something but no one has replied yet 🤨lol,. It would just be easier to have someone to talk to about the process. Good luck to everyone on their journey! 💜

You describe a situation that you are experiencing and that is why this thread was created. We can help you to the front door of the embassy but that's where has to end for us. Anything on the other side would require someone who has gone down that road .

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

So when I check my NVC number on the CEAC website it says my application is at the NVC but I need to follow six steps before the NVC can schedule my appointment, and that I have to submit various fees and documents to the NVC. Is this just a generic message or have I missed something?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Qwerty87 said:

Hi everyone,

So when I check my NVC number on the CEAC website it says my application is at the NVC but I need to follow six steps before the NVC can schedule my appointment, and that I have to submit various fees and documents to the NVC. Is this just a generic message or have I missed something?

If I am not mistake this has something to do with the strange overlap of the K1 visa as a Nonimmigrant and immigrant visa at the same time. See Greenbaums post above. Nonimmigrant visas require the uploading of documents whereas the K1 in this particular scenario does not follow these steps and does not submit the ds260 and all forms are not submitted online but taken to the consulate or embassy for interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Qwerty87 said:

The message in the pop-up on the CEAC site applies to pure immigrant visas (like CR-1s). Since a K-1 is a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent, the steps are different (it's one of the very few places in the process where following what looks like official instructions isn't going to be helpful).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline

A couple of questions for those with Ukraine interests!  

1.  Tell me a little more about the places where one can check their phones, etc. near the US Embassy.  Is this a good idea?  Is it safe?

2.  I read several months ago about the best way to ship clothing, items etc. from Ukraine to the US.  The article recommended using basic Ukraine mail but when I discussed this with my fiance, she was unsure as to how or where one might do this.  I take it that the Ukrainian post office may be very different than what we in the US are familiar with.  Has anyone found a "best way" to ship things using either Ukrainian mail or another service?

Thanks in advance.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Swafford said:

A couple of questions for those with Ukraine interests!  

1.  Tell me a little more about the places where one can check their phones, etc. near the US Embassy.  Is this a good idea?  Is it safe?

2.  I read several months ago about the best way to ship clothing, items etc. from Ukraine to the US.  The article recommended using basic Ukraine mail but when I discussed this with my fiance, she was unsure as to how or where one might do this.  I take it that the Ukrainian post office may be very different than what we in the US are familiar with.  Has anyone found a "best way" to ship things using either Ukrainian mail or another service?

Thanks in advance.

Yea there are places to pay a couple bucks and they'll hold your stuff. there's also a couple little trucks that do passport photos. they are good, if they weren't, the embassy wouldn't let them just sit out there and prey on people. best course of action is just have someone accompany her though and wait, if they don't mind waiting an hour or so for it to all be done. 

I'd check DHL. you can use Ukrainian mail services (novaya pochte is the better one, the other big one, forgot the name, I found to be awful in my experience with it). both are shady at best and a lot of stuff gets lost. expect a ridiculous fee for postage. might instead look into what it would cost to bring an extra bag on the flight and what overweight bag fees would be. best course of action here, only bring what you actually need and throw away or donate the rest. ive already stocked Tina's closet here with all new clothes and I plan to take her to Walmart and Target once she arrives to get the last few things I didn't buy. she's coming with one suitcase, already packed, including gifts and stuff for the family. I'm sure your fiancee is wanting to bring all her electronics like hair dryers and all that. don't. they use 220 with a completely different prong. it's cheaper to buy a new hair dryer than a converter. this will apply to most personal electronics. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, JMEngland said:

I'm sure your fiancee is wanting to bring all her electronics like hair dryers and all that. don't. they use 220 with a completely different prong. it's cheaper to buy a new hair dryer than a converter. this will apply to most personal electronics.

Though laptops and tablets and cell phones and the like will run fine on 110, which means you can use adapters you get for under $10 a 3-pack from Amazon. Whether a cell phone will support US bands or not may be in an issue, though.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.