kins

What should I buy in the UK?

102 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
LMAO :lol:

I guess what you grow up with stays with you!

Indeedy! I have some pants that I bought at Sainsbury's, but I can't stand them. They're my period pants because I don't mind getting them stained. :lol: I grew up wearing those white cotton pants and since I'm a total freak with clothes rubbing me the wrong way, I have to always wear the same brand of pants. Maybe it's another one of those Aspie things. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair Florida is full of Brits, so its a bit easier to find British stuff down there.

Not really. It's been quite difficult, actually. New York State and Pennsylvania are definitely much easier than Florida. At least in my experience. Others may have different experiences than my own, though.

Ok...I'll have to disagree for Pennsylvania :P at least if you're in Bumblefuct like we are!

I am in Philly and dont find that much english stuff. Drove 30 miles today for Bacon and they had none.... :crying::crying:

OK tell me where I can buy PLAICE?

Word.

I would like to know that too

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Indeedy! I have some pants that I bought at Sainsbury's, but I can't stand them. They're my period pants because I don't mind getting them stained. :lol: I grew up wearing those white cotton pants and since I'm a total freak with clothes rubbing me the wrong way, I have to always wear the same brand of pants. Maybe it's another one of those Aspie things. :thumbs:

There are no knickers like Marksie's knickers if you are a Brit!!

I must admit though Hanes are ok and they are the brand I buy over here.

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

There are no knickers like Marksie's knickers if you are a Brit!!

I must admit though Hanes are ok and they are the brand I buy over here.

I've never tried their pants. I didn't like their bras; I had mom send me my favorite bras from Target. :lol: I have no shame; I will send my mother shopping 4,000 miles away for my undergarments because I'm so picky about how they fit.

I do like my black ankle socks from BHS though. :blush:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok I got a question - there is one thing I really really want to take with me to Ohio - that is my baked beans!! and my cadburys chocolates I cant stand the chocolate in america - now should I actually put all that with the stuff I am shipping over or should i take it with the luggage I carry over. I was hoping to get a few cases of baked beans and well the two suitcases I have allocated for me and 2 for my fella who is coming to uk to collect me. will get very heavy :)

I also had my computer tower that I will be taking with me - I was hoping to take that on the flight with me as eccess baggae rather than get that shipped as I need my computer as soon as possible!!! and from what I hear some shipped stuff gets delayed or lost! Umm note to myself I have to find a good cheap rate shippers!!

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Lina Heinz Baked Beans are available here in Ohio - not easy to track down but available we have now located them at Giant Eagle not 30 miles from us ............... actually the hunt for UK food becomes an adventure in itself after a while :whistle: and likewise chocs available online (personal fav foodireland.com)

Edited by Widge

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hehe those of us in PA, Ohio, Maryland, WV should get together one day, and have a giant food swap meet lol Bring what you have found and trade! :P

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes but arent they all so expensive?? I just thought id bring some with me and when it runs out then worry about finding beans in ohio lol

LIna (UKC)

Lina Heinz Baked Beans are available here in Ohio - not easy to track down but available we have now located them at Giant Eagle not 30 miles from us ............... actually the hunt for UK food becomes an adventure in itself after a while :whistle: and likewise chocs available online (personal fav foodireland.com)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Yes but arent they all so expensive?? I just thought id bring some with me and when it runs out then worry about finding beans in ohio lol

LIna (UKC)

I just paid $1.50 for beans in Los Angeles. It's worth it. I would never bring cases - too heavy & a pain!!!

Kins, my thoughts to you is not something that you can bring with you. But to have fish and chips before you go. You'll miss them once you're here. I can't wait for my next UK visit so I can have some! :)

Kins, my thoughts to you is not something that you can bring with you. But to have fish and chips before you go. You'll miss them once you're here. I can't wait for my next UK visit so I can have some! :)

Good idea! We have a great chippy in town...

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

If nothing else, I want to reiterate M&S undies and OTC drugs. There have been times I would have quite literally killed for a Nurofen, and my good ol' Marks knickers are still going strong after 2 years of abuse in the US (and they weren't new when they came here!).

If you have a local British Goods store, you're lucky. We're starting to see the odd thing being carried up here if you look in the right places - Marmite is in the baking section of the supermarket, of all places - but the dedicated BGS we had in Freeport (home of LL Bean, huge tourist trap) burnt down.

Hey I just realised you are in Portland - that's where I'm moving to! My husband found Maltesers for sale for at $1 a packet somewhere there recently......

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

Duvet Covers (hard to find here and expensive when you do find them).

I saw this site today and thought of you:

http://www.arealinenshop.com/enter.html

Thank you for that!! :star:

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Ok I got a question - there is one thing I really really want to take with me to Ohio - that is my baked beans!! and my cadburys chocolates I cant stand the chocolate in america - now should I actually put all that with the stuff I am shipping over or should i take it with the luggage I carry over. I was hoping to get a few cases of baked beans and well the two suitcases I have allocated for me and 2 for my fella who is coming to uk to collect me. will get very heavy :)

I also had my computer tower that I will be taking with me - I was hoping to take that on the flight with me as eccess baggae rather than get that shipped as I need my computer as soon as possible!!! and from what I hear some shipped stuff gets delayed or lost! Umm note to myself I have to find a good cheap rate shippers!!

Lina (UKC)

If there's a World Market where you'll be living you'll be able to get the real UK Cadbury's there. Just bring a couple of cans of the beans. If you pack a lot of them in your luggage you run the risk of being overweight and they will charge you a fortune. I made that mistake once. Keep in mind that weight also applies to shipping costs.

I was in my local supermarket yesterday and they told me that all I needed to do if I wanted anything that they did not have is to request it at the Customer Service desk. If they can find it they will order it in. Whole Foods does this also.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.