kins

What should I buy in the UK?

102 posts in this topic

The DFW area has an Ikea in Frisco, but Ikea is such cheap #######! :unsure: I ought to know...most of our furniture is from there. We're on our second Klippan sofa...that thing is a piece of sh!t.

I know what you mean about IKEA stuff, however their duvet covers are fine and their linens in general. Also about 1/4 of the price of what you pay for a duvet cover in places like Target, where a sheet costs $10, but sew 2 sheets together and its suddenly $90.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Got to take a load of cabury's chocolate and don't for get finger of fudge's Mmmmmmmm yummy. I'd also take some Shirts, they're not that good for ironing the one's I got from America. Oh and don't forget Red cabbage and picked beetroot. Mmmmmmm yummy

July 26th 2006 Took a trip to Texas !!!

Aug ???? 2006 Saw a Pretty Lady (Kristy of course)

Apr 10th 2007 After talking to lawyers and lots of tears returned home

May ??? 2007 Kristy go's in hospital for op

Jun 11th 2007 129F Paperwork sent

Jun 25th 2007 At last got NOA1 !!!

Jun 27th 2007 Touched

Jun 15th 2007 Its my Birthday Yea!!!

Aug 1st 2007 Kristy coming to see me !!!

Aug 11th Kristy went home :(

Oct 26th 2007 We've had our first touch !!!

Oct 31th 2007 Yes we've been touched Yet again !!!

Oct 31st Kristy coming to see Me yea !!!

Nov 1th 2007 Another touch is today the day!!!

Nov 2nd 2007 Another touch Now I'm getting Worried :(

Nov 7th Kristy Had to go home :(

Nov 7th no touches or update's since the 2nd and now A RFE !!! :((

Dec 14th 2007 At last NOA 2 !!! :))

Jan 15th 2008 paperwork landed at NVC

Jan 16th 2008 on itw way to london !!!

Jan 22nd 2008 recieve by the embassy

Jan 28th 2008 Oh my !!! panic packet 3 on my door step

Jan 29th 2008 Back in the post next day delivery !!!

Feb 4th 2008 Medical in london

Feb 25th 2008 interview at embassy Approved !!!

Mar 5th 2008 Flying Home !!!

April 5th 2008 Getting Married !!!

This is the start of my non food list for when I go home (UK) in Sept.

Hand Towels (the hand towels here are more like guest towel size)

Tea Towels (again the ones here are tiny)

Dish cloths (here they are pretty expensive for what you use them for I love the ones back home which are like 3 for 50p...lol)

Duvet Covers (hard to find here and expensive when you do find them).

Cushion covers (i like to be able to take mine off and wash them. The one's you buy here usually are not removable).

Maybe I should get myself a little business going here..........English Linens!! :whistle:

Really good quality duvet covers can be found at West Elm and CB2. Way better than the flowery chintz in most other stores. Same goes for cushion covers. Martha Stewart dishcloths from target are amazingly cheap and last for ages. Tea towels and hand towels can be found at the places I mentioned plus about anywhere else. Way cheaper than the UK too. Yellow dusters are 3 for a $ in the dollar store -- took me ages to find those! I actually bought some tea towels at Etsy. They were hand screen printed. Excellent quality & more unusual than the usual store bought stuff. Actually, I buy a lot of hand made stuff from Etsy. It's amazing!

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I apologise to the OP that this is only very loosely related to your question, but does anyone know the equivalent for Full/Queen/King to Double/Queen (do we even have Queen beds in the UK?)/King - if for example I have a US Queen Bed and want to get some UK fitted sheets for it? I also have a UK King Duvet - same question in reverse.

If anyone can help me I'd be really grateful.

And thanks very much Mr or Ms Mint Aero a few posts back.. now I have a craving! :)

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Thanks for all the replies!

I am shipping most of my household goods so I have duvet covers, duvets, cloths, all sorts of stuff like that, but it is good to know where to look for replacements. In fact my big duvet and cover came from Eddie Bauer in Seattle last time I lived in the US so it will be going home in a way ;-)

My hubby found a place in Portland that sells Maltesers for $1 :-)))) Need to check if they do Galaxies though...

I think a US king size bed is 6 feet wide and 6' 6" long if that's any help to anyone?

Good tip about Vermont Cheddar :thumbs:

I did just realise I should fill all the kids prescriptions in the UK before we go - our prescriptions in the US will be $30+ each, whereas they're free for the kids here.

My sister-in-law always used to get us to bring Zovirax over to the US for her - no idea why? Anyone?

I can't think of any more... I am looking forward to shopping for clothes and shoes in the US so much after the UK!

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks for all the replies!

I am shipping most of my household goods so I have duvet covers, duvets, cloths, all sorts of stuff like that, but it is good to know where to look for replacements. In fact my big duvet and cover came from Eddie Bauer in Seattle last time I lived in the US so it will be going home in a way ;-)

My hubby found a place in Portland that sells Maltesers for $1 :-)))) Need to check if they do Galaxies though...

I think a US king size bed is 6 feet wide and 6' 6" long if that's any help to anyone?

Good tip about Vermont Cheddar :thumbs:

I did just realise I should fill all the kids prescriptions in the UK before we go - our prescriptions in the US will be $30+ each, whereas they're free for the kids here.

My sister-in-law always used to get us to bring Zovirax over to the US for her - no idea why? Anyone?

I can't think of any more... I am looking forward to shopping for clothes and shoes in the US so much after the UK!

The answer to that is Zovirax, even at current exchange rates, is cheaper and by prescrition only here in the US. Abreva, the OTC counterpart here in the US is like $20 for a miniscule tube! I bought Zovirax too whilst in the UK!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh, if you suffer from Migraines get a good supply of Nurofen Migraine tablets. Nothing over here compares and it all has caffeine in it over in the USA (er...caffeine is my trigger! lol).

Buy some decent bras! If you're a woman that is. Bigger sized bras are a buggar to find over here! :lol:

mf_boobies.gif

That's me! :lol:

Filed: Timeline
Buy some decent bras! If you're a woman that is. Bigger sized bras are a buggar to find over here! :lol:

I noticed that....British women seem to have really large breasts in relation to American women, even accounting for higher rates of obesity in the USA. I'm the same bra size here as in the USA, but shops here sell G cups and bigger! The largest cup size I ever saw in a store that caters for women of average size is DD. Where DO G cup women buy bras in the USA? :blink:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I noticed that....British women seem to have really large breasts in relation to American women, even accounting for higher rates of obesity in the USA. I'm the same bra size here as in the USA, but shops here sell G cups and bigger! The largest cup size I ever saw in a store that caters for women of average size is DD. Where DO G cup women buy bras in the USA? :blink:

Have noooooo idea nor do I want to know? Mail order from Jordan's line?

Have noooooo idea nor do I want to know? Mail order from Jordan's line?

I dunno, I'm a C cup myself. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.