PirateLiker

Residency without signing I864

138 posts in this topic

these type of actions make me sick, you need to know what you want before you act on it, man up and send her home, even if you change your mind, she deserves better 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
17 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

And she didn't leave?

If you did that then you have to tell her to go home or move out or whatever. After that, it is her problem if she wants to stay illegally in the US, but  the two of you need an official breakup and somebody to move out from the place where the two of you are staying. Or if you want all the "benefits" she is brings then marry her and sign the papers and adjust her status...

Good points. You are right

Timeline
16 hours ago, dnyal said:

The instructions for the AOS from K-1 are clear in that the fiancée "will always have a green card available to" her as long as the marriage had happened within the 90 days after arrival. So, you could marry her before her I-94 expires and simply do nothing. After that period, she would be in an irregular immigration situation, but you guys could start the process of AOS at any moment later on (as long as the marriage had taken place within the 90-day period). Don't even try to submit the AOS package without the affidavit of support or without signing it; the lockbox facility would simply return the application.

Now, you signed an affidavit of support for the form I-129F: form I-134. If she got her K-1 visa approved, that means that for the embassy interview a signed form I-134 was presented. That means you are not off the hook with her. Even if you don't marry her and she stays irregularly in the US, if for some reason she applies for section 8 or receives food stamps or some other assistance, the US government will collect the money from you regardless. They can even take the money from your tax refund or even garnish your wages.

In any case, whether you sign the I-864 form or not, you already did sign an affidavit for the K-1 visa and if she stays, you will have the responsibility to support her. So, if you wanna be totally off the hook, your only option is to send her back.

Hmmm. This contradicts what others have said but it makes sense.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@PirateLiker you said you already gave her money for the return flight home---has she already bought her tickets?  When is she planning on returning, or is she planning on returning at all at this point?  Please don't let her get into an overstay situation on top of everything else.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

While there are people who wait well beyond the 90 day period to adjust status, this is not advisable as she will still be at risk of deportation. To add to that, as others have stated, if she does not adjust status and get EAD etc then she is completely reliant on you. Honestly, this isn't about YOU anymore and what YOU are comfortable with. This is about what is best for her. You have made it abundantly clear that you do not want to make the commitments (to her, and legally with the I-864). So make a clean break and move on. I am honestly confused at your hesitation at this point. You know you don't want to marry her, so how does the advice stated above even make sense for you, even if it was accurate? 

You should NOT be considering going down ANY path that would allow or force her to be here illegally! I don't know how many times this can be said before it gets through to you.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

What is the contradiction?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

It contradicts others because those contradicted parts are inaccurate.

1. I-134 is done. It has no meaning whatsoever now.
    1. As a side note, an I-134 has nothing to do with the I-129F.
    2. An I-134 is only a tool for the CO. Some don't even request one. Having a K-1 approved does not require a signed I-134. This differs from AOS or an immigrant visa, which does require a signed I-864.
  2. AOS is available after the 90 days whether you marry in that time frame or not. The difference is marrying within the 90 days avoids having to file an I-130.
  3. After the 90 days, unless AOS is filed, one is unlawfully present in the US and subject to removal like any visa overstay. There is no "irregular immigration situation" status...it's just unlawfully present like anybody else. Simply having a USC spouse confers no immigration benefit. The filing for AOS does.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
13 hours ago, Hypnos said:

This is what you would voluntarily subject someone you purport to care for to? From reading your replies I am going to draw the conclusion that you do not love her. Care for her a great deal? Perhaps. But not love. If it were love you would have signed your soul away to be with her and damn the consequences. So, if there is any part of you that does care for her, either get fully on board or let her go. This half-in half-out bullshit is not fair on her or you, but she is the one that's uprooted her life to come here for you. So if you cannot commit to filing for her AoS and letting her begin to have a normal life here (and coming from Ukraine it's going to take some time to adjust to US culture), let her know that it's time for you both to move on (unsure if you're married yet, so divorce may or may not be necessary). There is enough cruelty in this world; you should not aim to add to it.

You are exactly right. I'm sure some would estimate you are being generous by suggesting I care for her at all. But I do care for her. And yes you are right, I do not love her. I was married for 16 years and I think I loved her for much of that time. That was 10 years ago. I'm now in my mid 50s and question whether I am capable of love. I'm not like other people. You may not be able to understand me by thinking how you or others would handle this. I've spent a lot of time and money on therapists and haven't figured out how to be better. In fact, I am 75% finished with a graduate degree in psychology, trying to learn how the human mind works (and, presumably my mind as well).

This girl, who is 20 years younger than me, is very sweet and smart. She is not at her best now, because of the stress of the situation. She has lost weight and has stomach pain. So I get to watch this wonderful person suffer due to what I've done. It kills me. I look at her and think "I want her, I want this relationship, but I can't have it". What I have is sitting right there, in my house, available to me. But I can't have it. Because I'm 90% sure that if I move forward and marry her I'll change my mind. So how is that fair to her??? 

Some people look at themselves and their behavior and say "I don't want to be like that anymore" and they change. It doesn't seem to be that simple for me. Or maybe it is, and I don't actually want to change.

Timeline
1 minute ago, PirateLiker said:

You are exactly right. I'm sure some would estimate you are being generous by suggesting I care for her at all. But I do care for her. And yes you are right, I do not love her. I was married for 16 years and I think I loved her for much of that time. That was 10 years ago. I'm now in my mid 50s and question whether I am capable of love. I'm not like other people. You may not be able to understand me by thinking how you or others would handle this. I've spent a lot of time and money on therapists and haven't figured out how to be better. In fact, I am 75% finished with a graduate degree in psychology, trying to learn how the human mind works (and, presumably my mind as well).

This girl, who is 20 years younger than me, is very sweet and smart. She is not at her best now, because of the stress of the situation. She has lost weight and has stomach pain. So I get to watch this wonderful person suffer due to what I've done. It kills me. I look at her and think "I want her, I want this relationship, but I can't have it". What I have is sitting right there, in my house, available to me. But I can't have it. Because I'm 90% sure that if I move forward and marry her I'll change my mind. So how is that fair to her??? 

Some people look at themselves and their behavior and say "I don't want to be like that anymore" and they change. It doesn't seem to be that simple for me. Or maybe it is, and I don't actually want to change.

Just stop the BS!!!   Send her home!!!  She deserves better!!!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, geowrian said:

Not quite. The I-864 is rarely enforced, but is enforceable. There's a number of cases won VJ where this has happened regarding public benefits with the government, and a number where it has been pursued for 125% income level maintenance as a private civil lawsuit.

Enforcement could change on a dime.

I researched this a little. There are law firms that advertise that they will help beneficiaries with enforcement of this. I agree, it could change on a dime.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

I researched this a little. There are law firms that advertise that they will help beneficiaries with enforcement of this. I agree, it could change on a dime.

If you were my kid, I'd take you outside and beat the out of you.

Timeline

OP-  You need to stop the psychology BS, and grow a pair!!!   or are you a troll?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

And yes you are right, I do not love her.

6 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

Because I'm 90% sure that if I move forward and marry her I'll change my mind.

Does she actually know this?  Or have you been giving her signs that you "want to keep your options open" when it comes to her?

You need to make it very clear to her that you do not love her.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

4 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

you agree you are not thinking of her welfare,  but your concerns still center around what can be done to you, do the right thing sooner rather than later 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.