PirateLiker

Residency without signing I864

138 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Illiria said:

Refusing to file is not in itself abuse, using it as a threat against her to keep her in line yes that is abuse but simply telling her he has decided not to file or that he has decided not to marry is not abuse. 

Do you honestly believe that's how he is going about it? This guy has classic Narcissist written all over him. That's why I advise the beneficiary of she ever gets the chance to read this, to document everything.

31 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

My K1 fiance has been in the US for about 2 months. I was very concerned about the open ended/blank check aspect of signing I864 before she arrived, and my misgivings about this haven't changed. I am considering a couple of options.

A. Allow her to stay with me without marriage. I realize that in doing so she would become an undocumented resident.

B. Marry her but not sign I864. In so doing I realize she would not be able to adjust status, but I believe she would be a documented resident.

Am I more or less correct in my understanding of these two paths?

I live in an area of the country that is very friendly to undocumented residents. In fact,  a former GF was an undocumented immigrant. She has a job (albeit low wage), driver's license, access to health care etc. Under either scenario, A or B, I am quite certain she would be able to work and have a driver's license.   

I am completely aware that she is a person with the ability to make her own choices. If I tell her what I am willing to do, she can choose what is best for her. 

Considering reactions to a related post a couple months ago, I am not necessarily expecting very civil comments in this thread. 

I'm sorry but you are a fool for thinking your wife will be safe as an illegal immigrant even though your area is "nice" to them. It was also foolish to go down this path when you already had misgivings about the I-864. 

Since you don't get it, here it is: Marriage alone does not grant her any legal status.if she does not file adjustment, she is ILLEGAL, PERIOD, and at risk for deportation. Either bite the bullet and sign the I-864 or pay for her flight back to her home country. She doesn't deserve to have her entire legal situation jeopardized forever in the US just because you couldn't do some research and get over the I-864. We or our spouses have all signed it here and we're all fine.

2 minutes ago, Roel said:

I wonder if OP seriously expected any positive comments. That would be hilarious. 

I'm shaking my freaking head over here. I understand being unsure at the very beginning when you don't know anything. But what kind of adult just blindly goes through with a major life decision with his/her SPOUSE while STILL having doubts? Jfc. Sorry but this is the picture of stupidity. 

Not sorry.

I feel bad for OP's wife. She doesn't deserve this.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Edited by Daniela M_______

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is not often I find myself at a loss for words.

I can't even begin to understand the recesses of your mind.

I can't even....like I want so much to try to help you in some way....but I can't even fathom what you are thinking at this point.

All I can hope is that this woman is already making plans to return to her home country, instead of willingly falling into an even BIGGER mess you will be creating for her, not only emotionally, and financially (since she won't be able to work), but also legally (since, y'know, she could end up in a holding cell).

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

In this day and age, can't anyone figure out where this guy is from/who he is so we can contact his "fiancee" and help her get away from this terrible person? This is getting to be absolutely ridiculous.

I can't tell if you're a troll or if this is real. But, to answer your question, neither option is valid. Buy her a ticket home and stop this nonsense.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

26 minutes ago, Illiria said:

Refusing to file is not in itself abuse, using it as a threat against her to keep her in line yes that is abuse but simply telling her he has decided not to file or that he has decided not to marry is not abuse. 

Financial abuse is very real. What are her choices if he is withholding money to buy her a plane ticket home, or if he is refusing to help support her financially knowing full well she will be an undocumented immigrant with no way to help herself?

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

1 minute ago, Illiria said:

He wasn’t even going to do that himself but asked friends to. Basically it’s one giant mess and he won’t stand up and end it. 

I was just about to post this because I looked through his profile and remembered seeing that thread when it happened. That was only 6 weeks ago. On top of the stupidity, he is a coward too. Class act. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.