MrsBPM

US name change not accepted by home country

9 posts in this topic

I'm a Portuguese citizen and got my permanent residence under my first name and husband's last name, as US naming conventions go. 

While trying to obtain a passport in my new name, Portugal has told me I have to follow naming conventions in Portugal meaning I have to maintain a parent's name. With this change, it does mean new green card, SS card and driver's license right? 

I'm basically having to add another last name. 

It sounds like you just need a valid Portuguese Identification Card or Citizen Card to nenew. 

http://www.embassyportugal-us.org/instructions-for-passport-emission/

If you get a passport without your married name you can just keep a copy of your marriage certificate. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

It sounds like you just need a valid Portuguese Identification Card or Citizen Card to nenew. 

http://www.embassyportugal-us.org/instructions-for-passport-emission/

If you get a passport without your married name you can just keep a copy of your marriage certificate. 

So my passport can be in my old name? Even when it's time to remove conditions and they require a current passport? I'm planning on getting the renewed Portuguese ID after I register my marriage in Portugal. 

Could I technically travel with my current passport and reenter the US with my green card? 

1 minute ago, CatP said:

Could I technically travel with my current passport and reenter the US with my green card? 

That is how it works today.  Your flights need to be in the name on your passport.

3 minutes ago, CatP said:

I register my marriage in Portugal.

You didn't register your marriage is why they won't change your name on the passport.    They would also be able to do that at the Embassy in Washington.

My wife is Filipina and couldn't use her married name on her (new) Passport or other things until the Report of Marriage.   Her passport also has her maiden name on it  as her middle name.   But it is not on her green card.  

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

14 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

That is how it works today.  Your flights need to be in the name on your passport.

You didn't register your marriage is why they won't change your name on the passport.    They would also be able to do that at the Embassy in Washington.

My wife is Filipina and couldn't use her married name on her (new) Passport or other things until the Report of Marriage.   Her passport also has her maiden name on it  as her middle name.   But it is not on her green card.  

I have emailed with whoever deals with name changes in Portugal (the registry?) and they said it's simply a name convention and I will have to have a parent's name when I register. It's good to know I don't need that name on my green card and can go about life here. Thanks! 

Save yourself some hassel and contact the citizens services part of the Portugal Embassy in Washington DC.  They know about US / Portuguese requirements and and in your same time zone.  You should be able to get everything done there.

17 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Save yourself some hassel and contact the citizens services part of the Portugal Embassy in Washington DC.  They know about US / Portuguese requirements and and in your same time zone.  You should be able to get everything done there.

Thank you, I decided to call USCIS to see what they have to say about names not matching but either way, I know what the process of getting the new passport will entail. 

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/16/2019 at 5:17 AM, CatP said:

I'm a Portuguese citizen and got my permanent residence under my first name and husband's last name, as US naming conventions go. 

While trying to obtain a passport in my new name, Portugal has told me I have to follow naming conventions in Portugal meaning I have to maintain a parent's name. With this change, it does mean new green card, SS card and driver's license right? 

I'm basically having to add another last name. 

I know it’s a little late but I want to share my experience. My country (Mexico) and many other with Hispanic traditions won’t let you change your name legally because customs are different and they prefer your name in your birth certificate and name in every other document to coincide. I would assume Portugal is like that. My country can add (not change, but add as “other names”) my married name to my passport if I get it through a Consulate in the US but I have never done it and was adviced not to do it because it creates confusion with Mexican authorities. 

I have traveled at least 8 times in a situation like yours. GC under married name, passport under maiden name. I always carry my marriage certificate just in case, and it has never been necessary to show it. Migration officers at airports see this every day and are used to it because, as I said, most countries of Hispanic tradition won’t let their citizens change their name legally. 

I just accepted that I won’t have a passport with my married name until I become a US citizen. 

Edited by lhazleton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Stale thread is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.