SAT

The Glass MenageRant

2,929 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Cat T-B. has eaten dry Meow Mix before without incident, no problem Niki-B. ma'am.

We rotate dry stuff because she appreciates variety, si ma'am.

We finish one bag before starting another, system man.

Purina Indoor, Many (2x2x2+1) Lives, sometimes Meow Mix, rarely something else ma'am.

We once did bags of Purina Indoor twice in a row, and she was disappointed, won't repeat man.

She refuses to eat supermarket/budget/WalMart-type dry, and also Nutro MaxCat, particular miu man.

Because she's, uh, portly, we prefer the lowest-fat dry that we can find, healthier for miu man.

After two servings of the Sheba paté (resumed last night), she still had diarrhea, maybe clearing it out man.

We've not seen so much pupu in just a half-week, intestinally prodigious miu man.

Again, no behavioral changes (still active, eager to play Fuzzy Ball, etc.), otherwise-normal miu man.

And how dare any system classify her as a senior miu, ladies can pick their own age man?

Should we try a bag of Purina (or other) "digestive health," perhaps Niki-B. ma'am?

We don't mind splurging (as a test) on IAMS or Royal Canin or one of the fancy types, no man.

You need to spend a week changing dry food, especially between brands not just flavors.  But if she still had the runs by Monday she may need to see the Vet.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

16 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Holy moly... is this month over yet?

I think last time I was talking about my dad being in the hospital. Well he ended up staying in there 14 days. The surgery (both of them) was a success, and they punted him out of the hospital shortly thereafter. I didn't think he was ready at all and that became apparent in the four days he remained home. Because on day four, it was clear that dad was not the old dad I'd ever known. I started wondering if he had brain trauma from the surgery, because he was slurring, incoherent, unable to move or walk or think, or follow direction. I mean this is coming from a guy that was pretty vibrant for 75 and was active and drove every day of his life. He ended up falling in the bathroom, and my husband had to carry him on his back, and we decided to call his surgeon. Surgeon was *SUPER* worried and wanted him back in the hospital immediately. Eventually while trying to get him to the car, Dad loses all control of his legs and blacks out. 911 is called and they work on him for 40 minutes to try and save his life. Hypoglycemic shock. He was comatose. They end up airlifting him to the trauma facility. The good news is his head is still fine, they think it was toxicity to medication that drove his sugar to the danger zone. Five more days in the hospital and they were about to send him home with an infection, if I hadn't angrily questioned the nurses. Oh he's miserable now. He's weak with walking so they have nurses and PT coming four days a week.

My other rant is: if you're going to decide to become a nurse or tech in a hospital, please understand sometimes it involves the dirty work of changing soiled sheets, bathing patients, or helping them to the bathroom. I saw so many youngins' that were just content to let patients languish in their own filth. The profession is to help vulnerable humans in their most desperate hours of need. It made me so hopping mad to see people not care. Why take the job in the first place then?

Im so sorry he's had to go through this.  Im glad he has you by his side to help him and make sure he isnt sent home early again.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

My other rant is: if you're going to decide to become a nurse or tech in a hospital, please understand sometimes it involves the dirty work of changing soiled sheets, bathing patients, or helping them to the bathroom. I saw so many youngins' that were just content to let patients languish in their own filth. The profession is to help vulnerable humans in their most desperate hours of need. It made me so hopping mad to see people not care. Why take the job in the first place then?

Sorry about how difficult things are for you father.

As to your hospital rant, this is exactly what my wife does as a CNA. In fact, just this morning after working a rare night shift she comes into our bedroom and warns that her shoes may still stink a bit after a patient vomited on them, even though she took the time to wash them after the event. My wife is 40 so I don't know if she qualifies as a young un, or not. The rant certainly cuts both ways. The treatment that CNA's and techs get from some patients and their families is horrendous. Folks, they make $15/hr or less.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

15 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

As to your hospital rant, this is exactly what my wife does as a CNA. In fact, just this morning after working a rare night shift she comes into our bedroom and warns that her shoes may still stink a bit after a patient vomited on them, even though she took the time to wash them after the event. My wife is 40 so I don't know if she qualifies as a young un, or not. The rant certainly cuts both ways. The treatment that CNA's and techs get from some patients and their families is horrendous. Folks, they make $15/hr or less.

I assume a lot of those nurses and techs aren't getting paid well. But despite that I feel like when you decide to get into medicine, in any form, I hope it is with a desire to help the vulnerable and sick and not just shrug your shoulders and say ''eww.. they couldn't pay me enough''.. which is the attitude I encountered in some. How would they want their parents and grandparents treated? I was in the hospital myself a few months back. My roommate was pretty horrible (verbal abuse and hurling bedpans) but those nurses never hesitated or failed that patient even at their worst. I've been thinking about going to nursing school a lot lately.. this might be a push.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Mom is a retired RN trained in the old school system where student nurses lived in a residency at the hospital supervised by Catholic nuns. She said the nursing profession changed so much during her working years that she barely recognized it. She spent the last 15 years of her career in geriatric nursing. It's very hard work and the nurses and CNAs were often berated undeservingly by families .

We've had both good and bad experiences with the local facilities. I must say though when my dad was being cared for by in-hospital hospice before he died that he received the best care possible.

Sorry Yuna that your dad (and you) are going thru such a rough time. Hope it gets better soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
28 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I assume a lot of those nurses and techs aren't getting paid well. But despite that I feel like when you decide to get into medicine, in any form, I hope it is with a desire to help the vulnerable and sick and not just shrug your shoulders and say ''eww.. they couldn't pay me enough''.. which is the attitude I encountered in some. How would they want their parents and grandparents treated? I was in the hospital myself a few months back. My roommate was pretty horrible (verbal abuse and hurling bedpans) but those nurses never hesitated or failed that patient even at their worst. I've been thinking about going to nursing school a lot lately.. this might be a push.

I think it can be very easy to get jaded and apathetic. It might even be a method of protecting the psyche. I'd argue that those who are susceptible to needing to dehumanize patients in order to deal with their jobs, are not cut out for it, but the shortage of workers is massive.

It is one of the good things I like about my coworkers and EMS in general in this area. They always treat every person with such dignity and respect. I can't say the same for every nurse I've encountered, but they have to deal with the monotony day in and day out. They are also quite cruel to each other sometimes, i.e. the whole nurses eat their young spiel.  

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Yuna, at the hospital where my wife works the RN's get paid approximately double, $30/hr, from what the CNA's get paid. But generally, the RN's don't do the clean up and bathroom work you're referring to. That's reserved for the CNA's.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Russ&Caro said:

Yuna, at the hospital where my wife works the RN's get paid approximately double, $30/hr, from what the CNA's get paid. But generally, the RN's don't do the clean up and bathroom work you're referring to. That's reserved for the CNA's.

That sounds pretty equivalent to the pay scale here, except the RNs also get a lot of overtime. They are pulling in bank.  The CNAs can barely afford the hospital healthcare plans.

Side note: EMTs make about the same and paramedics only get paid about $20/hr.  I make even less, but I get to sit at home...

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

I think it can be very easy to get jaded and apathetic. It might even be a method of protecting the psyche. I'd argue that those who are susceptible to needing to dehumanize patients in order to deal with their jobs, are not cut out for it, but the shortage of workers is massive.

Good point... if the nursing profession was restricted to only those who have  a desire to help the vulnerable and sick, the shortage would be even worse.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

That sounds pretty equivalent to the pay scale here, except the RNs also get a lot of overtime. They are pulling in bank.  The CNAs can barely afford the hospital healthcare plans.

Correct. Most of the CNA's my wife works with who have children are on subsidized Medicaid. They absolutely cannot afford their employer's healthcare plan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Steve glad you made it through that training class or what ever it was. 

It was a seminar on changes to NY state consolidated law. Oh gawd it was awful, and the speaker was a pie face. Failed to capture his audience...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, yuna628 said:

Holy moly... is this month over yet?

I think last time I was talking about my dad being in the hospital. Well he ended up staying in there 14 days. The surgery (both of them) was a success, and they punted him out of the hospital shortly thereafter. I didn't think he was ready at all and that became apparent in the four days he remained home. Because on day four, it was clear that dad was not the old dad I'd ever known. I started wondering if he had brain trauma from the surgery, because he was slurring, incoherent, unable to move or walk or think, or follow direction. I mean this is coming from a guy that was pretty vibrant for 75 and was active and drove every day of his life. He ended up falling in the bathroom, and my husband had to carry him on his back, and we decided to call his surgeon. Surgeon was *SUPER* worried and wanted him back in the hospital immediately. Eventually while trying to get him to the car, Dad loses all control of his legs and blacks out. 911 is called and they work on him for 40 minutes to try and save his life. Hypoglycemic shock. He was comatose. They end up airlifting him to the trauma facility. The good news is his head is still fine, they think it was toxicity to medication that drove his sugar to the danger zone. Five more days in the hospital and they were about to send him home with an infection, if I hadn't angrily questioned the nurses. Oh he's miserable now. He's weak with walking so they have nurses and PT coming four days a week.

Oh man that was scary. I'm glad he is on the mend now. 

2 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

Heck here if lucky they make just a bit more than 9 bucks and hour and expected to bust your back. 

I will never go back into nursing. One I cannot turn my heart off and you pretty much have too or drink it all away.

I cannot for the life of me not take that extra minute with patients and I cannot just walk way like they expect you to do. It's all politics. There is no nurse shortage it's a hospital wants to spread out the max number of patients per nurse/aid and what not. That is not a nurse shortage that is a money making plan. They don't hire because they don't have too. 

When I worked I didn't think I was doing anything extra but I sure found out from family that I was. That little bit of chatting with a patient while doing what I was doing. That little bit of fixing what every it was or helping that little bit was enough to have my patients family come up to me and thank me for treating their parent/family like they were human rather then a number. It was a sad reality that I slowly figured out happens all too often.

Now I'm been a patient in Arkansas hospital a few too many times. If I didn't already have 4 kids before the last two I would have been lost on what to do with a newborn. I would never have seen a nurse until shift change if I didn't send my husband after one. They would come in turn the bell off and say they would be back to never return. 

Day surgery my nurse was in a hurry to get out of work early and I was barely awake. SHe called my doctor to have me admitted. If I was more alert I would have refuse to be admitted. I get sent up to my room and never saw nurse once they did their part of checking me in. I was there from 8pm until noon the next day not brought any food,. I had to get up and get my own water. 

Ok yes I'm still ticked off about that. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08