TZM

(I-130) Dec 2018 Applicants

504 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, HabibiSurf said:

A bit late to the party, but filed I-130 for my wife 12/14/18 and received notice 12/19/18 through Nebraska office.

Nebraska is saying 7.5-10 months, but NOA2 is anecdotally taking roughly 4-6 months?  

Hey there, from what I can see Nebraska is currently processing May 2018 petitions (link below)

https://www.visajourney.com/content/times/

Potomac currently is taking 4-5 months to send the petition to NVC level. 

14 hours ago, Stylereveal said:

Hi,

Where does one find the information that Nebraska is doing 4-6 months?

Also what is requited for NOA2 to get ready?

Hello, you can find estimate processing times on this link: https://www.visajourney.com/content/times/

NOA2 is when the NVC confirms receipt of your petition from the USCIS. You may want to check out the NVC website for more information https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/begin-nat-visa-center.html

16 hours ago, K-Kwette said:

I'm not sure yet, since from what I read it looks like it's still one to two month wait after approval to get a case number assigned, I thought I would just start looking for the docs at this time.

I'm kind of unsure about the Affadit of Support as well, we've been travelling around the world with my husband for the past two years and before that, we were living together in Europe. He started a new job in the US last month, so he will be above the poverty line but wondering what to do with the tax thing (He didn't file last year). So I need to take some time to do some research on what's the best move here. We can have a co-sponsor but if not sure that's needed since his salary is going to be sufficient.

From what I saw, the police certificate(s) and tax transcripts are the ''hardest'' documents to get right? Beside that, it should be pretty easy documents to give (birth certificate and such?)

Good luck to you too, I think we have similar timeline ;)

Hello!

Police certificate can be tricky depending on the country. I would suggest you to have a look at the processing time and application method starting now.

As for the Affidavit of support, I am not entirely sure. Maybe have a look here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html or search for relevant forums on VJ. I believe you need to be able to show your assets to prove that you will not be a burden on the US gov. 

Hope that helps!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Does anyone else get annoyed that DCF (Direct Consular Filing) happens comparatively a lot quicker than filing with USCIS. It's almost like they're punishing US citizens for remaining in the country and paying tax, etc.

It's not going to happen but I was kind of thinking of a system where some cases got sent over to the consulate of whichever country the beneficiary is a resident of.

It just seems like a two-tier system exists.

15 minutes ago, KrisandCrystal said:

Does anyone else get annoyed that DCF (Direct Consular Filing) happens comparatively a lot quicker than filing with USCIS. It's almost like they're punishing US citizens for remaining in the country and paying tax, etc.

It's not going to happen but I was kind of thinking of a system where some cases got sent over to the consulate of whichever country the beneficiary is a resident of.

A lot of cases get expedited to consulate level, but its quite rare. The waiting is definitely very challenging. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
On 3/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, TZM said:

Hello!

Police certificate can be tricky depending on the country. I would suggest you to have a look at the processing time and application method starting now.

As for the Affidavit of support, I am not entirely sure. Maybe have a look here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html or search for relevant forums on VJ. I believe you need to be able to show your assets to prove that you will not be a burden on the US gov. 

Hope that helps!

I looked at the police certificate already, it should be pretty straight forward and take about 2-3 weeks to get both of them :) One will be from the UK and one from France. Because I have to pay for the one from the UK I prefer to wait to avoid it expiring. I can ask for both of them online too, sot it makes it easy!

Thank you for the link you sent, it's very helpful!

6 minutes ago, K-Kwette said:

I looked at the police certificate already, it should be pretty straight forward and take about 2-3 weeks to get both of them :) One will be from the UK and one from France. Because I have to pay for the one from the UK I prefer to wait to avoid it expiring. I can ask for both of them online too, sot it makes it easy!

Thank you for the link you sent, it's very helpful!

I got one from UK too. So from my understanding as per the link, police certificates are valid for 1 hour given you still reside in that country. If you no longer live there and have not returned to that country since your application then there is no expiration date. This is mentioned in the link above. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, TZM said:

I got one from UK too. So from my understanding as per the link, police certificates are valid for 1 hour given you still reside in that country. If you no longer live there and have not returned to that country since your application then there is no expiration date. This is mentioned in the link above. 

Oh great! I didn't know that. I'm not in the UK anymore, so I guess I found something to do this weekend!

Did you get yours following this link : https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx ?

4 hours ago, K-Kwette said:

Oh great! I didn't know that. I'm not in the UK anymore, so I guess I found something to do this weekend!

Did you get yours following this link : https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx ?

Yes, thats the website. Make sure you have an endorser that meets the requirement. Also before you proceed, please do check about the expiration of the certificate from the NVC website yourself. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
On 3/8/2019 at 3:04 PM, KrisandCrystal said:

DCF is not available in every country either. I am in France and had to file at the Chicago lockbox even if USCIS as field offices in the UK, Germany and Italy! But only citizens from those countries can  do DCF, it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make any more sense that Nebraska is taking twice as long to process the petitions compared to Potomac. They have a balance issue, that's the real problem.

For our story, look at my profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
4 hours ago, JulienR said:

DCF is not available in every country either. I am in France and had to file at the Chicago lockbox even if USCIS as field offices in the UK, Germany and Italy! But only citizens from those countries can  do DCF, it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make any more sense that Nebraska is taking twice as long to process the petitions compared to Potomac. They have a balance issue, that's the real problem.

I'm guessing you still go to the consular interview in France, they just don't allow DCF? That seems really weird, why would the Embassy/Consulate in France be so lacking. I've seen far smaller countries than France have DCF options. It just makes no sense.

• With DCF the entire process can be done in around 90 days, most of the time less than that.
  • Certain service centres move way faster than others. If I was with Potomac I could expect a response in April, because I'm with Texas I have to wait until August or possibly early September. That's double the wait time.

I know I'm complaining about things I can't change but you would think the work would be spread out more, to both service centres and consulates... at least the family-based visa work to create a more consistent experience.

Again I'm not the US Citizen, I'm the beneficiary but it just seems like US Citizens who remain in the US, work in the US and pay tax in the US are penalised for doing so in this regard.

Seems to me now there's a three-tier system.

I feel like people are being punished for obeying the rules, versus those who don't follow the rules and get away with things because of a sob story and a waiver.

Timeline

Yes, the interview will be at the US embassy in Paris. I can not do DCF in France  because there is no USCIS field office in Paris, France is attached to the USCIS field office in Italy.

The only situation I could do DCF in Paris would be if my wife got a job offer and we'd had to leave quickly, then they can do an exception.

But I should not complain too much, people applying from Portugal have to come to the Paris embassy for their interview although Spain is much closer !!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, JulienR said:

Yes, the interview will be at the US embassy in Paris. I can not do DCF in France  because there is no USCIS field office in Paris, France is attached to the USCIS field office in Italy.

The only situation I could do DCF in Paris would be if my wife got a job offer and we'd had to leave quickly, then they can do an exception.

But I should not complain too much, people applying from Portugal have to come to the Paris embassy for their interview although Spain is much closer !!!

At least you are with your wife in France and not apart during this wait (If I understand well).

I'm also a French filer ;)

Timeline
21 hours ago, K-Kwette said:

At least you are with your wife in France and not apart during this wait (If I understand well).

I'm also a French filer ;)

That's correct. It still blows my  mind that the process can take a year or more. We used to live in Australia, where we met. When we decided to move to France she got a one year visa within 2 months and then completed the process to get permanent resident status once in France. I don't understand why the US doesn't have a similar two step process that would avoid people being apart for so long.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.