Captain Oates

Where can I get my brains washed

276 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
As an American, I am not offended by anything saywhat has said. *shrug*

That said, we are planning to move to Europe as soon as possible.

Hehe, good luck with that. ;)

Thanks! I don't think we'll have any problems moving back again.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I offered a comment that I thought might help. When I've felt the culture gap here in the UK, I've gone to my husband to discuss it, and he's made really good, interesting points that have helped me. That's why I suggested talking to your wife.

Hey Margo- missed ya !

She can't hack it here at all - the English speak so quietly and she can't park and can't undertake on the motorway etc - in contrast I think I did ok in Wisconsin in the end but I am aiming for perfection this time and I want to feel comfortable without being a sell-out. I passed my driving test there and the motorbike theory and got a social security card and bank account and credit card etc etc

Yes I was doing ok but had to be SO careful about engaging anyone in a real conversation because if your not with us then you are against us is the ethos... When you go in a bar in Wisconsin and all the guys are 300lbs and they all have a pick up with a shotgun in it and a boy serving in iraq, all you can do is say how wonderful the beer is and much better than home. Its a bit different from a wine bar in Harrogate.

Carolyn is a fiery readhead but quiet as well and a thinker underneath- and the most European thinking of any American I have ever met. She dislikes dubbleyer intensly, but if she didn't I would be ok with it - and she can give me a tolerant discussion without identifying me as an 'alien' and the 'anti-american enemy' to be stubbed out

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Carolyn is a fiery readhead but quiet as well and a thinker underneath- and the most European thinking of any American I have ever met. She dislikes dubbleyer intensly, but if she didn't I would be ok with it - and she can give me a tolerant discussion without identifying me as an 'alien' and the 'anti-american enemy' to be stubbed out

alan

What the hell does that mean?

Oh, and sounds to me like you live in 'good ol boy' territory. If that's what you're basing the whole of US on, you are so mistaken it's not even funny.

Just don't forget to keep filing your income taxes. ;)

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
My question, if you don't like America, don't like its people, why he hell are you trying to come here?

Many of us only move here because our loved one is here, and it makes sense for us to be here at this point in time.

(I was waiting for this question to pop up, only took until page 3!)

I had written a large paragraph as a reply to that, but there's little point in posting it.

The original poster will have a pleasant and enjoyable time if he learns when to shut up, it's that simple and it's something everyone else learned from childhood.

K3 approved 05/04/07 Leney is happy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just don't forget to keep filing your income taxes. ;)

Don't worry, just like I did before. ;) Thanks for lookin' out...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
No, it's because she's been quite vocal here in describing living in an atmosphere around people like you. And you can go and search posts on how she took a lot of sh!t for it, from many people including myself. You're the one who actually proved her point, not me.

I also said 'IF' they are like you, I can understand. I use you because your attitude today has fit the description of everything she's been saying. I never really believed it, tbh. I did differentiate between 'all brits' and 'you' because I've said my own experience was wonderful and I regard those I've met as family. Did you miss that bit, or are you just selectively blind?

Selectively blind. I agree that there is a lot of aggro against the US here- many americans in London claim to be canadians. It wasn't always so- most of it is the self-shame of the Brits turned outwards - that the US made us do something we should have been strong enough to say 'no' to.

I cringe when we go in a pub, because every time someone is ragging on america - and i feel embarrassed for Carolyn. Perhaps it's this universal condemnation that has given the US a siege mentally where everyone sticks together and stands by to repel the outside world....

moresheep400100.jpg

The original poster will have a pleasant and enjoyable time if he learns when to shut up, it's that simple and it's something everyone else learned from childhood.

How true. A friend of mine used to have a torrid time of going to the pub every Friday, he would almost always end up being beaten up or threatened. The reason: He was smart and liked to used he smarts to go to pubs full of squaddies and argue politics with them.

I.e. he was a ###### idiot.

I offered a comment that I thought might help. When I've felt the culture gap here in the UK, I've gone to my husband to discuss it, and he's made really good, interesting points that have helped me. That's why I suggested talking to your wife.

Hey Margo- missed ya !

She can't hack it here at all - the English speak so quietly and she can't park and can't undertake on the motorway etc - in contrast I think I did ok in Wisconsin in the end but I am aiming for perfection this time and I want to feel comfortable without being a sell-out. I passed my driving test there and the motorbike theory and got a social security card and bank account and credit card etc etc

Yes I was doing ok but had to be SO careful about engaging anyone in a real conversation because if your not with us then you are against us is the ethos... When you go in a bar in Wisconsin and all the guys are 300lbs and they all have a pick up with a shotgun in it and a boy serving in iraq, all you can do is say how wonderful the beer is and much better than home. Its a bit different from a wine bar in Harrogate.

alan

If I were you, I just wouldn't pay attention to people I wasn't able to have a real conversation with - I mean, I don't want to be friends with people I can't do that with, so why make the effort?

In my opinion, you're going about it too intensely. I'd go nuts if I felt like I had to get into a real conversation with a handful of people at work about American and/or British politics or anything international - some of them just really don't have a good attitude. I simply just don't voice my negative opinions to the people who I don't want a real relationship with. Conversely, my husband's best friend doesn't like a lot of my opinions or feelings about the UK and he's told me so, but that weirdness has been worth it and we've both kept our cool because of Chris (the hubby) and also because, aside from a couple glitches, we've become friends ourselves.

So, I vote for relaxing quite a bit (some of your language has been really quite negative here and will definitely put people off), keeping real conversation limited to people who matter to you, and venting to the wife, who will obviously understand. :)

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

alan

What the hell does that mean?

Oh, and sounds to me like you live in 'good ol boy' territory. If that's what you're basing the whole of US on, you are so mistaken it's not even funny.

'Good ol boy territory', hehehe. Wisconsin IS a tough one. I had a Welsh friend who, to be fair, found it very hard to deal with people in Wisonsin when he visited a friend there. He too had expressed 'fear' of sounding 'too smart'. He spoke of people who were confrontational if he used 'big words'. I don't think this is ALL of Wisconsin, there are just those 'good ol boy' territories. They're in England too though! That's what puzzles me a bit. Why is it so shocking to find here when it's found EVERYWHERE? I've actually BEEN to Harrogate [Knew a guy they called "Nobby", it would be hilarious if you knew him] and I met quite a few people who were bugged by me talking about foreign cinema, and modern art stuff. Still, I didn't walk away thinking Harrogate was uncultured or anything of the sort, not by a long shot. Of course not.

MY TIMELINE:

MAY 2004: Met Online

NOV 2004: Andy's 1st stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

FEB/MAR 2005: Andy's 2nd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

APR/MAY 2005: Andy's 3rd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

OCT 2005-FEB 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 4 1/2 months

* I Proposed on Christmas 2005 & YES!*

MAY-AUG 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 3 1/2 months

AUG 2006: Andy's 4th stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

NOV 2006-JAN 2007: Andy's 5th stay with me in Florida, 1 3/4 months

09/05/06: I-129F Packet Sent!!

09/21/06: NOA1 Received.

12/07/06: NOA2 RECEIVED!!! W00t!!!

03/02/07: Sent off final Packet 3 checklist

03/20/07: Received Packet 4 Letter!!!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 04/19/07!!!!

04/19/07 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! APPROVED!!

04/26/07 - Passport w/ visa arrives via courier

Delta Flight arriving with fiance on 05/04/07!!!

05/04/07 - Home at last!!! w0000000t!!

06/01/07 - Our 'first' wedding at the county clerk's office.

09/19/08 - Andy walked out. That total dumb-a$$.

No, it's because she's been quite vocal here in describing living in an atmosphere around people like you. And you can go and search posts on how she took a lot of sh!t for it, from many people including myself. You're the one who actually proved her point, not me.

I also said 'IF' they are like you, I can understand. I use you because your attitude today has fit the description of everything she's been saying. I never really believed it, tbh. I did differentiate between 'all brits' and 'you' because I've said my own experience was wonderful and I regard those I've met as family. Did you miss that bit, or are you just selectively blind?

Selectively blind. I agree that there is a lot of aggro against the US here- many americans in London claim to be canadians. It wasn't always so- most of it is the self-shame of the Brits turned outwards - that the US made us do something we should have been strong enough to say 'no' to.

I cringe when we go in a pub, because every time someone is ragging on america - and i feel embarrassed for Carolyn. Perhaps it's this universal condemnation that has given the US a siege mentally where everyone sticks together and stands by to repel the outside world....

You cringe when you hear other people do it, but how do you think she would feel if she saw what you've written here over the last week or so?

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.