Captain Oates

Where can I get my brains washed

276 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
You don't have to lecture me on Euro-humor as I've lived in the UK for several years and I get what you're saying. I also get how difficult it is to acclimate to a place that is so similar on the surface, yet so different in reality.

Oh dear - HA said my 18 mths in Wisconsin wasn't enough for me to learn ANYTHING - but you say your stay in the UK was. This is what I am complaining about - American's experiences are valid and everyone else's are invalid and they are just there to be taught the 'right' way to look at things.

and HA says we are not that different but you say we are - a split in the ranks eh ?

Lets see if I can open it up

one of you might come down my side yet

alan

I didn't say that to you :no: So I think you need to take that up with the one who did, and not confuse the waters here. However, your post here is my point exactly...you're holding me accountable for what someone else said. Why...cos we're both American? :blink: 'We Americans' are not interchangeable.

I don't know much about Wisconsin and the people there, but any intellgent person can see that since America is comprised of immigrants from all over the world, we're not all one homogenized being. There are plenty of different perspectives and attitudes that you will find, if you truly open your eyes. Generalizing is doing you a disservice.

How about reply to me when it's actually relevant to what I've actually said, k?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to lecture me on Euro-humor as I've lived in the UK for several years and I get what you're saying. I also get how difficult it is to acclimate to a place that is so similar on the surface, yet so different in reality.

Oh dear - HA said my 18 mths in Wisconsin wasn't enough for me to learn ANYTHING - but you say your stay in the UK was. This is what I am complaining about - American's experiences are valid and everyone else's are invalid and they are just there to be taught the 'right' way to look at things.

and HA says we are not that different but you say we are - a split in the ranks eh ?

Lets see if I can open it up

one of you might come down my side yet

alan

18 months isn't very much. I've lived in the UK for over six years now. I may be JUST an American, but even I know that 6 years > 18 months.

I'm getting tired of your attitude and I'm tired of you trying to wind people up and pick fights. If you hate America, for god's sake do ALL of us a favor and don't move there.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Have you discussed how you're feeling with your wife, saywhat? I think she would be the best person to discuss these feelings with and would be the best person to help you.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Maybe if you make a few more VAST generalizations about 300 million people, judged on one persons experiences with Americans...

Yo welcome !

All of you had a flag in your classroom didn't you ? some generalizations are 100% accurate and some are true but are just generalisations...there is no smoke without fire and most stereotypes have a basis in truth

The US is a violent society (as a whole) - surely you don't want to say that isn't so ? I wouldnt be married to an American if I thought it was everybody - I am just saying a large proportion

This thread is how a foreigner should cope in the US without becoming cowed by what many people around the world see as a very strident and dominating national ethos which is very prickly about admitting any faults in America to 'a foreigner'

I want to be able to discuss American Government policy domestic and international without being shouted down or threatened - how can I do that ?

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Start by ending your generalizations and your promulgation of stereotypes.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

This thread is actually vindicating HA a lil bit because she's been very vocal about not being happy in the UK. If it's because of attitudes like this...I can somewhat understand. My experience there was wonderful and accepting & was not frought with this 'you americans this...we brits that'. I've come to regard where I lived as my 'second home' and the friends I've met as 'family'.

If I was faced with a plethora of people with this kind of attitude, I'd have been one unhappy woman there.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

This thread is actually vindicating HA a lil bit because she's been very vocal about not being happy in the UK. If it's because of attitudes like this...I can somewhat understand. My experience there was wonderful and accepting & was not frought with this 'you americans this...we brits that'. I've come to regard where I lived as my 'second home' and the friends I've met as 'family'.

If I was faced with a plethora of people with this kind of attitude, I'd have been one unhappy woman there.

Seems like I meet a new one at least once a week. Now that I've stopped working and will likely spend most of what time I have remaining in the UK inside my house, I shouldn't meet too many more saywhats. I'll have to content myself with shouting at the radio and the television.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I want to be able to discuss American Government policy domestic and international without being shouted down or threatened - how can I do that ?

alan

I have learned to keep my mouth shut in public, and talk abut it with my husband in private. If I am asked specifically my views, I tread lightly to gauge the other person's reaction and if it starts to get testy, I stop. I learned a long time ago that it's not worth the hassle.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

This thread is how a foreigner should cope in the US without becoming cowed by what many people around the world see as a very strident and dominating national ethos which is very prickly about admitting any faults in America to 'a foreigner'

alan

I got back to what HA said in her first post

'Its not what you say but how you say it'

You're prolly unaware of what you're doing to provoke the responses you've gotten...but it's a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. You have an attitude because you feel we'll be defensive , yet what you don't realize is that we're defensive because you have an attitude.

Perhaps a little self-evaluation on how you approach these things wouldn't go amiss..Good luck!

lol Jen you kill me!

You're such an interloper! ;)

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
This thread is actually vindicating HA a lil bit because she's been very vocal about not being happy in the UK. If it's because of attitudes like this...I can somewhat understand. .

Now you are stereotyping the Brits because of one bad apple (me)

You guys keep on making my point for me -its ok for you and its not ok for the foreigners

it really is hypocrasy - no i wont give you a dictionary link -

ok i will

http://www.zwsafaris.com/photogallery/phot...EER%20HIPPO.jpg

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I have to agree with previous replies. You are generalizing all Americans as being the same. If you have this sort of mentality now, how will you ever be happy in the states?

I can't speak for my husband but I do know many times he has commented on how much friendlier people here are than they were back home. Obviously it all depends on the area you will be living in, BUT if you come in with the attitude you have and take it out on every person you meet you definetly will end up with the response you want.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

This thread is actually vindicating HA a lil bit because she's been very vocal about not being happy in the UK. If it's because of attitudes like this...I can somewhat understand. .

You guys keep on making my point for me -its ok for you and its not ok for the foreigners

ok i will

If you're going to accuse us of butchering your precious English language, learn to spell it correctly yourself first. Some punctuation wouldn't go amiss either.

ok i will

If you're gonna provide a link, at least spell it right: hypocrisy

alan

I got back to what HA said in her first post

'Its not what you say but how you say it'

You're prolly unaware of what you're doing to provoke the responses you've gotten...but it's a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. You have an attitude because you feel we'll be defensive , yet what you don't realize is that we're defensive because you have an attitude.

Perhaps a little self-evaluation on how you approach these things wouldn't go amiss..Good luck!

lol Jen you kill me!

You're such an interloper! ;)

:P .. and as usual, I agree with you! :thumbs:

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.