Captain Oates

Where can I get my brains washed

276 posts in this topic

I can see that

But you aren't above these sort of generalizations yourself, clearly.

I don't see that what I say is similar to what arwensun said, or what saywhat says. I find their stereotyping offensive, and I'm usually quite careful when I share my experiences to NOT stereotype.

You can think what you want, though; I don't really care. It's obvious to me that you have a bug up your a$$ regarding me and you'll find fault with whatever I say.

Sensitive much? Or is that bug up my a$$ really just the chip on your shoulder?

I think you probably offend a lot of people with your stereotyping and gross exaggerations about how terrible life is in the UK - don't snipe at me because it can go both ways.

90day.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Basically I've had enough of living in the UK, true, and I'm quick to criticize it at this point because I've been wanting to leave for about three years now. I feel like I'm in prison. I suppose you could say I've become as cynical and negative as the Brits I'm surrounded by. :devil:

That was my first item in the post - will I become like an American after 6 years like HA has become like a Brit - if so do I need to get my brains washed to fit in..we are back to the start and it seems the answer is yes...

Hi ! I am your server tonight and my name is Lulabelle and I want you to know that you are a very special person - oh and have a wonderful meal and a lovely weekend and may all your children and grandchildren have perfect white teeth like mine - don't you think I'm pretty ?

Culture difference ? - light years !!!

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I think you probably offend a lot of people with your stereotyping and gross exaggerations about how terrible life is in the UK - don't snipe at me because it can go both ways.

LOL, thanks for proving my point for me and calling me a liar to boot.

Have a nice life, Robin K. Lake.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline

LOL, thanks for proving my point for me and calling me a liar to boot.

Have a nice life, Robin K. Lake.

I am NOT having my girls fighting - so stop it- if you don't behave I will put you both over my knee and spank your botties !

HA you are having bad day but I don't hate you - I think your experience here and the alien experience we have there proves that the gap exists and it's big and we both need to recognize it and not ignore it.

Generalizations are true and in general cats are bigger than mice

stereotypes are not true

Lets allow ourselves to generalize at least..then when we have learned what we are up against (in general ) - we can both develop coping strategies without devaluing our fellow humans - no matter how repulsive their habits are

Robin - sometimes Ha deserves it , but she has had enough stick for one day so kiss and make up or i will crawl down my router aerial and make you

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

HA

I have read a number of posts that You have written. I do not care to argue with you, personally I do not think you are or ever have been nice to any British person. I do not even think it is in you to be nice to any Brit, I am surprised your husband has not asked for a divorce, you obviously hate us Brits so why be married to one. I feel sorrow that you should feel this way, I am of the belief that everyone should get on. You have Whined and Whined about everything that is British, York and England is better off without you and your ignorance. You have an Axe to grind and you obviously enjoy taking it out on people you do not know. You are the reason why so many Brits get pissed off by American's and you sit there saying you do not do this or that. I am not surprised you have no British friends it is you who has the problem and it will not go away by disrespecting us Brits because we have a different view to you.

Oh and by the way I defend what I feel is right as do you, we are always going to have different views.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Timeline
HA

I have read a number of posts that You have written. I do not care to argue with you, personally I do not think you are or ever have been nice to any British person. I do not even think it is in you to be nice to any Brit, I am surprised your husband has not asked for a divorce, you obviously hate us Brits so why be married to one. I feel sorrow that you should feel this way, I am of the belief that everyone should get on. You have Whined and Whined about everything that is British, York and England is better off without you and your ignorance. You have an Axe to grind and you obviously enjoy taking it out on people you do not know. You are the reason why so many Brits get pissed off by American's and you sit there saying you do not do this or that. I am not surprised you have no British friends it is you who has the problem and it will not go away by disrespecting us Brits because we have a different view to you.

Oh and by the way I defend what I feel is right as do you, we are always going to have different views.

oh dear HA has just got personal with me over on the general forum so the olive branch has been repacked for now..

HA you know I struggle with the US but I don't pour hate on it like you do on the UK- I would like to change a lot of things as you would here and the way they do things would not be my preference..Your departure is a bit like breaking up with a boyfriend/girlfriend - some people are civilized and stay friends - some break in and and set fire to their clothes and expose their secrets to the world

guess you are the burgling type that's all

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nah, H_A is an all right gal. Me and her had a bit of a barny at the beginning but she's all right really. I used to just take everything she said as a personal attack without thinking the whys of her actions. Now, I DO understand those actions and some of her reasons for the way she feels.

Anyway, she doesn't need me to stick up for her, she is perfectly capable on her own. Just wanted to say my 0.02c.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I suppose you could say I've become as cynical and negative as the Brits I'm surrounded by. :devil:

:

that is a stereotype

and like most stereotypes (like the ones about americans) there's an element of truth to it - brits need to be cynical and negative - but it's hardly the way most people there really are.

Twas a joke, dear.

So it's okay for you to make jokes like that but it's unfair for you to be on the receiving end?

As with this discussion: one rule for HA, and another for the rest of us (especially the Brits.)

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Timeline
Nah, H_A is an all right gal. Me and her had a bit of a barny at the beginning but she's all right really. I used to just take everything she said as a personal attack without thinking the whys of her actions. Now, I DO understand those actions and some of her reasons for the way she feels.

Anyway, she doesn't need me to stick up for her, she is perfectly capable on her own. Just wanted to say my 0.02c.

She does need your support today Mags as she is catching flak from all sides - it was my turn yesterday but I invited it really so it's different.

If she hates York as much as I hate this rented house in Lancashire then she must be chewing on the bit to be breathing the same air as George W- she is probably just practising talking the same *** as him for when she gets back

She would never make it to departure time if she lived here - she would be swingin' on the ol' oak tree.

seen some dumps in my time but Darwen Lancs is the pits...and I am in the nice bit ! come on november 5 !

I am a Yorky so she is already in the best part of the best country in the world (Tony Blair last week)- if that isn't good enough then in the

words of the Eurythmics, she must be 'dreamin' like a Texan girl - a girl who thinks she has the right to everything'

Scurryless stereotyping by the Eurythmics - or was it acute observation ?

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
:pop: it's a tossup between the uk forum and the russia forum right now

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.