Captain Oates

Where can I get my brains washed

276 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
After all the talk about apostrophes and their correct usage,...this is where you should have used one. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-P

Of course you are right - but I am twitchy about EXTRA apostrophes and not missing ones - isn't (isnt) that strange ? I would be worried if I had a thing about ALL kinds of apostrophe matters, as that would mark me out as an obsessive... (haha)

Actually let me tell you a secret - there is worse - people who spell RECEIVE as RECIEVE !!!!! - I have to lay down in the back room after I see that and VJ is absolutely crammed with them !!!

all together now -- 'I' before 'E' except after 'C' - they can remember snoop dog rap lyrics but can't remember that

They can't all be dicksceltic can they so it's lack of hedgercasion if you ask me

moresheep400100.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Janice - you are the first person i have put in my friends list this year.

Thank you Alan I feel honored :blush:

I think some of the issues can be resolved if people are willing to talk, at the moment the American's think you are dissing them, which I can see you are not because of the mind set we have. The American's have a totally different mind set then us. we say Tomarrrrrrrto they say Tomaaaaaaato sort of thing. When I talk to Jon (which is every night by the way) we discuss everything and he will tell me the when and the why of things in America and I will do the same for him, it gives us a greater understanding of each other. You will find this difficult at first but trust me it will be better to talk to your wife on some of the issues you have (maybe you have done that) and not got a definitive answer.

I am like you hoping other Brits come on to this topic to discuss this issue and how they coped with integrating with people who speak the same language but have different interpretations of it.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

I'm so ashamed...I'm listening to Mungo Jerry and enjoying it. I've been in England for too long.

Are they back in the charts again???

Nope; I have the mp3 of In The Summertime. :lol:

Now I have it stuck in my head -- THANKS!!! :angry:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
Janice - you are the first person i have put in my friends list this year.

Thank you Alan I feel honored :blush:

I think some of the issues can be resolved if people are willing to talk, at the moment the American's think you are dissing them, which I can see you are not because of the mind set we have. The American's have a totally different mind set then us. we say Tomarrrrrrrto they say Tomaaaaaaato sort of thing. When I talk to Jon (which is every night by the way) we discuss everything and he will tell me the when and the why of things in America and I will do the same for him, it gives us a greater understanding of each other. You will find this difficult at first but trust me it will be better to talk to your wife on some of the issues you have (maybe you have done that) and not got a definitive answer.

I am like you hoping other Brits come on to this topic to discuss this issue and how they coped with integrating with people who speak the same language but have different interpretations of it...

Good thinking ! I started this topic as a serious one but conducted in a hopefully humorous fashion and I am happy with how it went overall. It is going to take a lot of tact and I might suppress my beliefs in the cause of harmony, but I sure won't change them- so honour will be satisfied...

I have just started a new one in 'other topics general' to discuss whether the USA should join the EEC - that one isn't totally serious and I just wanted to light a bonfire ! It is 'other topics' after all so it's not being a time waster - being ruled from Brussels should get em at it - I will try and stand back a bit and let a few others slog it out- of course it might not ruffle any feathers and nobody will contribute ? let's see

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
being ruled from Brussels should get em at it

ROTFLMFAO :lol: :Lil: :Lil:

I know but they might think it's so impossible they won't even get scared - like changing the constitution so ozzy osborne could run for president - so it will fall flat - we will see - at least ozzy can say nu-cle-ar but that isn't a qualification for the job

Be interesting to see if any euro buffs come in and get enthusiastic

right I HAVE to force myself to stand back some and just pour a bit of kerosene (paraffin) on every now and then

moresheep400100.jpg

Oh my, I read the whole bloody thread and all I can say is wow, people have taken this way way to seriously.

Alan to be honest you know how to splat the toes :lol::lol:

I did not cope very well in America, Jon and I have had a lot to talk about and we have smoothed things over, I am not going back because I love America, I am going back because I LOVE MY HUSBAND very much, we have promised each other to be more tolerant to each other's way. The thing to remember is that you are kinda right, American's do not like constructive criticism, the best way to cope with this is to think really really hard before answering or just to not say anything at all. Yes I know this is hard to do, I find it hard to do and yes sometimes my mouth opens before I put the brain into gear. You have to remember that it is you who is moving country, not because you want to but because you love your Wife and want to be with her, do not worry what the outside world is thinking just what she thinks, you will be better off for it.

Janice

Uh...I don't agree with that at all. I think the British are as prickly as Americans when it comes to outsiders criticizing their country, perhaps even more so, since many Americans have an inferiority complex when it comes to their former colonial masters. Many of us think, 'Well, a Brit is saying it...and they're smarter than we are, so it must be true.' Heh. They're not smarter than we are, and it's often not.

Case in point...many of the Brits, yourself included, got extremely pissy with me when I constructively criticized the UK.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I have to laugh when you say "constructively" as you so clearly like very little about the UK. I actually agree with some of what you say (it's funny how I got shot down for casually mentioning in the "stupid things americans say" thread that it goes both ways), your opinion of the UK is jaundiced.

Even the mildest "diss" of the US (especially Texas) and I have noticed you will respond if you see it. People who live here have every right to criticize what they don't like about the US even if they only lived here 18 months or whatever.

90day.jpg

I have to laugh when you say "constructively" as you so clearly like very little about the UK. I actually agree with some of what you say (it's funny how I got shot down for casually mentioning in the "stupid things americans say" thread that it goes both ways), your opinion of the UK is jaundiced.

Basically I've had enough of living in the UK, true, and I'm quick to criticize it at this point because I've been wanting to leave for about three years now. I feel like I'm in prison. I suppose you could say I've become as cynical and negative as the Brits I'm surrounded by. :devil:

Even the mildest "diss" of the US (especially Texas) and I have noticed you will respond if you see it. People who live here have every right to criticize what they don't like about the US even if they only lived here 18 months or whatever.

Nah, not really. I don't jump on people for constructive criticism. I jump on them for ignorant stereotyping and oversimplification. But sure, everyone gets to have an opinion, even if it's an uninformed one. I also may exercise my free speech rights and tell them what I think of their opinion. :thumbs:

I suppose you could say I've become as cynical and negative as the Brits I'm surrounded by. :devil:

:

that is a stereotype

and like most stereotypes (like the ones about americans) there's an element of truth to it - brits need to be cynical and negative - but it's hardly the way most people there really are.

90day.jpg

I suppose you could say I've become as cynical and negative as the Brits I'm surrounded by. :devil:

:

that is a stereotype

and like most stereotypes (like the ones about americans) there's an element of truth to it - brits need to be cynical and negative - but it's hardly the way most people there really are.

Twas a joke, dear.

I can see that

But you aren't above these sort of generalizations yourself, clearly.

I don't see that what I say is similar to what arwensun said, or what saywhat says. I find their stereotyping offensive, and I'm usually quite careful when I share my experiences to NOT stereotype.

You can think what you want, though; I don't really care. It's obvious to me that you have a bug up your a$$ regarding me and you'll find fault with whatever I say.

Timeline

I love you and my heart is yours forever when Carolyn has finished with it... alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.