rabbit2007

Background check needed after K1 interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi, I am new here but I've been reading posts a lot but could not find out exactly what I need today. I am not sure if this has come up before.

So my fiancee had her interview today. Everything went fine (it seems) but at the end a blue slip was given by the interviewer and my fiancee was told they will need to do more background check?

My fiancee ask how long will it take and they reply within 2 months or contact them!

So my question is,

Is this thing normal, should I worry?

Is there anything I can do at this point? :crying:

My fiancee is heartbroken right now because we waited so long for this date, only to be delay some more. :crying:

Any help would be appreciated.

Its not unusual. A significant percentage of people end up in AR or AP after the interview. Most are out of it within a few weeks, but some can take months and even years. Call the consulate weekly and keep on the case. If it starts taking a long time, you can contact the congress person in your disctrct to see if they can do anything to speed it up.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline
Its not unusual. A significant percentage of people end up in AR or AP after the interview. Most are out of it within a few weeks, but some can take months and even years. Call the consulate weekly and keep on the case. If it starts taking a long time, you can contact the congress person in your disctrct to see if they can do anything to speed it up.

Thanks for the help. My fiancee calm down a bit today and so did I.

I've ask her to call embassy every two weeks or so since things don't move very fast over there.

Does anyone know if I can check with DOS or something like that in U.S. too? I read somewhere in this forum that we can call DOS about this sort of things. I could be wrong.

Thanks again. (This waiting game is killing me.)

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

MY FIANCEE AND I ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION. WE HAD OUR INTERVIEW ON MAY 7TH AND WERE TOLD THAT HER NAME CAME UP AS ONE NEEDING AN EXTRA BACKGROUND CHECK. SHE HAS NEVER LEFT HER COUNTRY SO I FOUND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THERE SHOULD BE A PROBLEM. THE INTERVIEWER TOLD ME IT SHOULD TAKE 2-6 WEEKS. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS LIKE 3-6 MONTHS FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON THE FORUMS. I'VE CALLED THE EMBASSY, I HAVE WRITTEN AND I HAVE CALLED THE STATE DEPARTMENT. ALL I GET IS THAT IT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT 3 MONTHS. IT SUCKS WAITING. IT SUCKS NOT KNOWING ANY TIMEFRAME EITHER. THIS HAS REALLY SCREWED UP ALL MY PLANS BUT I GUESS I WILL JUST KEEP BUGGING THEM EVERY FEW WEEKS.

MET MILENA IN JULY 2006

WENT TO COLOMBIA IN AUGUST 2006

WENT BACK SEPTEMBER 2006 (WHIPPED)

I 129F SENT TO CSC

RECEIVED 12/15/2006

NOA 12/22/2006

WENT AGAIN IN JANUARY 2007

NOA2 03/01/2007

CALLED NVC, SAID PACKAGE MAILED OUT, 03/12/2007

DHL SHOWS PACKAGE ARRIVED 3/14/2007. VERY FAST!!!

FAXED PACKET 3 INFO ON 3/18/2007

HAVE INTERVIEW DATE ON 5/7/2007

HAD THE INTERVIEW, PUT IN ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS (TOLD 2-6 WEEKS)

REALITY CHECK, TOOK A LOT LONGER, NEW APPOINTMENT JULY 26TH

Timeline
MY FIANCEE AND I ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION. WE HAD OUR INTERVIEW ON MAY 7TH AND WERE TOLD THAT HER NAME CAME UP AS ONE NEEDING AN EXTRA BACKGROUND CHECK. SHE HAS NEVER LEFT HER COUNTRY SO I FOUND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THERE SHOULD BE A PROBLEM. THE INTERVIEWER TOLD ME IT SHOULD TAKE 2-6 WEEKS. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS LIKE 3-6 MONTHS FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON THE FORUMS. I'VE CALLED THE EMBASSY, I HAVE WRITTEN AND I HAVE CALLED THE STATE DEPARTMENT. ALL I GET IS THAT IT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT 3 MONTHS. IT SUCKS WAITING. IT SUCKS NOT KNOWING ANY TIMEFRAME EITHER. THIS HAS REALLY SCREWED UP ALL MY PLANS BUT I GUESS I WILL JUST KEEP BUGGING THEM EVERY FEW WEEKS.

Yeah, my fiancee has never left her country either, but at least you didn't have to wait as long as I have. We were in name check for over 8 months before the interview date was given, what were they checking I wondered? After 8 months and they still need more? I find it difficult to believe that they could not finish all the name check stuff in 8 months + time.

I've emailed them last week and they said the case is currently under review. I've also contacted my senator, they say if I don't hear from the Embassy in the indicated time frame, they would then try to help me. You might want to start on that just in case.

BTW, I've also contact DOS before I email them, and DOS say the name check has already completed and nothing was given to them since the interview. So obviously the embassy is either not doing anything or doing something else by themselves. :(

To me the embassies operates like rogue units of DOS, they don't seem to have to answer to anyone but themselves. :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/Secu...tiveReview.html

Please read this and it explains only a few of the name checks in this process. Depending on the country you hail from, your ethnicity, age differences, and religion can all play into whether you are put in AR/AP. When your name is run in one of the many data bases they run it every which way it can be spelled, forward, backwards and all foreign letters, etc. Good luck on a speedy AR/AP.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
Hi, I am new here but I've been reading posts a lot but could not find out exactly what I need today. I am not sure if this has come up before.

So my fiancee had her interview today. Everything went fine (it seems) but at the end a blue slip was given by the interviewer and my fiancee was told they will need to do more background check?

My fiancee ask how long will it take and they reply within 2 months or contact them!

So my question is,

Is this thing normal, should I worry?

Is there anything I can do at this point? :crying:

My fiancee is heartbroken right now because we waited so long for this date, only to be delay some more. :crying:

Any help would be appreciated.

Okay, it's finally over. We got the Visa today after 2 1/2 months of AP (Background checks). :dance:

Things we did while we waited:

1) Keep up the calls and emails to each other.

2) Contact my senator (Not sure if that helped but something to do while waiting)

3) Emailed the embassy every month or so on the status of the case.

4) Call DOS also to keep tabs on the embassy. (A live person to talk to at least)

We can finally move to the next step: getting together and get married.

And for all other AP/AR people out there: Hang in there, you will prevail!

Congratulations on getting the visa! :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Congratulations

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.