JMCKNG

November 2018 AOS Filers

3,118 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, craigybear said:

Hi all, long time lurker and reader - and fellow November AOS filer.

I did receive the EAD/AP approval 'relatively' quickly on 18th March this year.

Related - I can confirm that the process of entering the US with the AP card is a much more painful process than it was before!

Previously my  L1 visa and Global Entry combination meant I was through immigration and customs in no time at all - often beating my USC wife. The last two times I've entered it has involved sitting in 'secondary' for at least 30 minutes waiting to be 'paroled' - almost missed our connection in Houston on Monday! 

Now we are waiting at the mercy of the Washington DC office for our interview notice...

Can you tell me more about your experience with AP, specifically re-entering the country (what POE, questions they asked, documents you needed to provide if any other than the card itself). My husband is going to re-enter the country on AP after he gets back from visiting him family in 2 weeks.

Thanks!!

Edited: sorry, I realize now you already said you went through Houston! 

Edited by Luna3716

13 minutes ago, Luna3716 said:

Can you tell me more about your experience with AP, specifically re-entering the country (what POE, questions they asked, documents you needed to provide if any other than the card itself). My husband is going to re-enter the country on AP after he gets back from visiting him family in 2 weeks.

Thanks!!

Edited: sorry, I realize now you already said you went through Houston! 

Sure - I've done it twice now.

1 - POE was Washington Dulles, near where I live. I went to the Global Entry kiosk like I usually did before and it failed to pull my record. Advised the agent who sent me to another agent then I was forwarded to 'secondary' with my documents in a clear plastic case. Handed it over on arrival and had to take a seat for approx 30 minutes. When called up the agent asked if I was going through the AOS process and why etc. Then the typical questions about food, money, goods I was carrying. At that point I asked if I needed to do the parole process each time I entered (I was hoping I could use my L1 visa to enter instead) and the answer given was yes.

2 - POE was Houston, connecting to Washington DC. Used the GE kiosk again and it actually worked - got the usual print out for presentation to the agent. As I approached, he seemed to know I had an issue and asked for my passport and GC. Stated I have AP/EAD combo card. He asked why I was entering on L1 (was worth a shot!) and then had to call his supervisor to see if was admissible on L1 vs AP. They weren't sure - sent me to secondary. The process once I got to secondary was similar to the first time, albeit Houston took a little longer as it was busy. Just about made our connecting flight with some running to the next gate! We had 1h45m between flights so if you find yourself in this situation (connecting international to domestic), plan accordingly.

Edit - in terms of documents they asked for - just the AP card and passport. I usually carry other documents as stipulated by my L1 visa but these weren't requested.

Edit - on arrival in Houston, my USC wife wasn't allowed to enter secondary with me and so had to wait beyond immigration. Typically no phones can be used in the secondary area (DC was a little more lenient) so if you do find yourself in the situation where you're travelling together and you SO gets sent to secondary, be sure to have a plan for how to proceed, where to meet etc.

Edited by craigybear

14 hours ago, NicolaBolton87 said:

I finally got approved for my work permit today!! 

Filed: November 19th 2018

Receipt date: November 28th 2018

New Card Being Produced: Today, 21st May 2019.

It’s coming guys!! 

Congratulations! 🎉 

We’re on day 195 of waiting.

Filed: October 22nd 2018

Receipt date: November 8th 2018

Ugh, USPS are playing with me.

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

05/16/19 - Green Card Issue Date

03/10/21 - Sent ROC paperwork to Phoenix, AZ | USPS 2-Day Shipping

04/07/21 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, craigybear said:

Sure - I've done it twice now.

1 - POE was Washington Dulles, near where I live. I went to the Global Entry kiosk like I usually did before and it failed to pull my record. Advised the agent who sent me to another agent then I was forwarded to 'secondary' with my documents in a clear plastic case. Handed it over on arrival and had to take a seat for approx 30 minutes. When called up the agent asked if I was going through the AOS process and why etc. Then the typical questions about food, money, goods I was carrying. At that point I asked if I needed to do the parole process each time I entered (I was hoping I could use my L1 visa to enter instead) and the answer given was yes.

2 - POE was Houston, connecting to Washington DC. Used the GE kiosk again and it actually worked - got the usual print out for presentation to the agent. As I approached, he seemed to know I had an issue and asked for my passport and GC. Stated I have AP/EAD combo card. He asked why I was entering on L1 (was worth a shot!) and then had to call his supervisor to see if was admissible on L1 vs AP. They weren't sure - sent me to secondary. The process once I got to secondary was similar to the first time, albeit Houston took a little longer as it was busy. Just about made our connecting flight with some running to the next gate! We had 1h45m between flights so if you find yourself in this situation (connecting international to domestic), plan accordingly.

Edit - in terms of documents they asked for - just the AP card and passport. I usually carry other documents as stipulated by my L1 visa but these weren't requested.

Edit - on arrival in Houston, my USC wife wasn't allowed to enter secondary with me and so had to wait beyond immigration. Typically no phones can be used in the secondary area (DC was a little more lenient) so if you do find yourself in the situation where you're travelling together and you SO gets sent to secondary, be sure to have a plan for how to proceed, where to meet etc.

That's an awesome write up! I like the point you made about connecting flights which is worth remembering. When booking I purposely selected a flight which left 5 hours in between flying from Seattle and Las Vegas- I'd imagine it would be fine for POE on AP (airing on side of caution/more beer time)! I know I'll prob end up hanging around the airport for a good while after but I do love airports so all good!

Thanks again for the write-up and detail :) 

Edited by jakejon

30 minutes ago, Akk1989 said:

Wondered if anyone knows this?...once we get to the date we can make a case inquiry, is it best to call USCIS and ask to speak to a tier 2 or just submit the online form? Which would be quicker/more effective?

It's probably best to call when you get to the date of enquiry

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

1 hour ago, Gand2018 said:

Congrats! It feels fantastic doesn’t it? 😀

Feels super weird - I keep going to check my status or the "usual" ritual...aside from the month between arrival and submitting the AOS paperwork, we've been waiting on *something* since January of last year! @.@

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, RambaCat said:

Conditional Green Card in hand! 😁

Congratulations! I hope you won’t mind me asking. Would you know why they gave you conditional green card instead of the regular green card? Thanks! 

• 11/10/18 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago (I-485 to I-765)
  • 11/19/18 - NOA for AOS (I-485)
  • 11/19/18 - NOA for Petition for Alien Relative (I-130)
  • 11/19/18 -NOA for Application for Travel Document (I-131)
  • 11/19/18 - NOA for EAD (I-765)
  • 12/10/18 - Biometrics
  • 04/03/19 - Case status of I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
  • 04/19/19 - Case status of I-485 changed to "Interview was Scheduled"
  • 04/29/19 - Received Interview letter in the mail
  • 05/30/19 - Interview on the spot approval
  • 06/07/19 - Conditional Green Card received
  • 03/03/21 - Package Delivered to Phoenix AZ (I-751)
  • 04/01/21 - NOA Receipt of payment and extension of Conditional Green Card
  • 08/19/2021 - NOA Approval Notice for (I-751)
  • 08/28/2021 - 10 Year Green Card received 
  • 09/06/2022 - N-400 Online application sent
  • 03/14/2023 - N-400 Interview was Scheduled
  • 04/19/2023 - Passed Citizenship Naturalization Interview
  • 05/23/2023 - Naturalization Oath taking ceremony

17 minutes ago, tombs07 said:

Congratulations! I hope you won’t mind me asking. Would you know why they gave you conditional green card instead of the regular green card? Thanks! 

10 year green card is applied for with removal of conditions. Adjustment of status grants a two year green card.

59 minutes ago, tombs07 said:

If you've been married for less than two years at the time of the interview/approval, you get a two years conditional green card and MUST go through removal of conditions in 21 months. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.