nompish

N-400 October 2018 Filers

1,465 posts in this topic

I am really confused.
The online application is asking for all times/travel spent outside the US during the past 5 years. While most people can only apply 5 yrs after their green card was approved, we can apply through marriage after 3 yrs. Do I still include all times spent outside the US for the past 5 yrs or only 3? (Obviously they are asking this because of the travel regulations - no more than 6 months - for green card.) There is a lot of travel info before my green card, I was living a pretty nomadic life moving/traveling around the world. I was visiting my now-husband several times on an ESTA (which is INSIDE the US but as a tourist, NOT living here!!!) so I can't even batch all the travels together for 2013 - 2015. However the system still adds up the days 'spent outside the US' and since I was supposed to be outside the US prior to my marriage, the total number is pretty high total. (I only spent about 2 - 2.5 months total outside the US within the past 3 yrs of our marriage/green card and I haven't even left at all for a year.) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am preparing for submitting my N400 now 

but i have a question:

Being a member in a career syndicate ( veterinary syndicate) should be indicated in the form  for the Association Question?

Thanks a lot

Just checked my status online and it says that bio metrics appointment was scheduled on 10/19/2018. But it's not showing in my documents yet so I can't see for when. Hopefully the document will be there on Monday.

Sincerely,

Jon & Jess

K3 VISA PROCESS - Married 2007-06-14, I-130 Sent 2007-08-20 & I-129F Sent 2007-10-10, Visa Received 2008-06-12

EAD & AP PROCESS - Date Filed 2008-08-27, EAD Received 2008-12-15, AP Received 2008-12-15

AOS PROCESS - Date Filed 2008-08-27, Received Green Card 2009-02-28

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS - Date Filed 2010-12-16, NOA1 Rec. 2010-12-23, Approved 2011-03-17

N-400 PROCESS - Date Filed 2018-10-14

*View entire timeline here

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Jon & Jess said:

Just checked my status online and it says that bio metrics appointment was scheduled on 10/19/2018. But it's not showing in my documents yet so I can't see for when. Hopefully the document will be there on Monday.

I got the same notice, I guess its gonna show up in the next couple of days.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Greetings,

Pending I-751 (Remove Conditions).

We became eligible to file N-400 on the 16th.

We filed online on October 16th and uploaded almost all of the requested documentation. (It was a rather painless process!)

Yesterday (1-/20) we received and email that our bio-metrics appointment has been scheduled with an appointment letter to follow within a few days.

Good luck everyone!

Regards,

Tony&Natasha

09/15/2014 Privet

09/17/2014 Met on Skype

11/14/2014 First Trip!

11/17/2014 Engaged!

02/06/2015 Second Trip!

03/02/2015 Sent I-129F

03/05/2015 NOA1!

04/06/2015 RFE

04/10/2015 RFE Answered

04/21/2015 NOA2!

05/08/2015 NVC

06/03/2015 Ready for Interview!!!

06/04/2015 Interview Scheduled for 6/23/2015!

06/18/2015 Interview postponed to 07/07/2015 due to Visa System Database Shutdown.

07/07/2015 Interview! APPROVED! Pick up Visa 3:00 pm Thursday 07/09/2015!!!

07/09/2015 Visa in hand!!!!!

07/12/2015 Purchased Airline tickets - Arriving KLAX 07/30/2015 at 11:45 am Local Time!!!!

07/30/2015 Arrived Los Angeles International Airport

08/21/2015 Married!!!!!!!!

10/04/2015 AOS/EAD/AP Filed

10/13/2015 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

11/13/2015 Biometrics Completed

12/04/2015 AOS Application Ready - Interview Scheduled 01/14/2016!

01/04/2015 EAD/AP Approved

01/08/2016 EAD/AP Card Arrived

01/14/2016 AOS Interview APPROVED!

01/20/2016 Green Card Delivered to the USPS - ETA 01/23/2016

01/23/2016 Received Green Card!!!

10/16/2017 Sent I-751 ROC to California Service Center

10/19/2017 NOA1 ROC

11/13/2017 Biometrics Appointment.

10/16/2018 Filed N-400 Online

07/10/2019 Naturalization Interview Scheduled for 08/14/2019 09:25

08/14/2019 PASSED Naturalization Interview! Expect Oath Ceremony 9/2019

21 hours ago, dakalti said:

If you are applying through the 3 years/marriage route, then you only need to fill out the trips in the last 3 years. 

Are you just assuming this or does it say it somewhere? It says 5 years, it doesn't say that 3 yrs if marriage route. Is there a supplemental booklet or sthing that explains it? I don't want to go based on assumptions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Butterfly83 said:

Are you just assuming this or does it say it somewhere? It says 5 years, it doesn't say that 3 yrs if marriage route. Is there a supplemental booklet or sthing that explains it? I don't want to go based on assumptions.

Try reading the instructions.  No assumptions were given.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello everyone! We just filed my husband's n-400 and it says the estimated completion date is January 2020. Let's hope it doesn't really take that long! Wishing everyone here a fast and easy process :)

July 2014 - Married in Seoul, Korea

October 2014 - Applied for 2-year Green Card

April 2015 - Arrived in America

January 2017 - Applied for I-751

May 2018 - Case Approved

May 2018 - Received 10-year green card

October 2018 - Applied for N-400

March 13, 2019 - Received interview date (April 17th)

1 hour ago, gregcrs2 said:

Auch. I've read the instructions I've found here https://www.uscis.gov/n-400
Clearly, I am asking because I found nothing in regards to this. Can you, please, help me out. Are there some other instructions elsewhere I am missing? Where can I find them? Maybe you could link to it?

1 hour ago, gregcrs2 said:

This is what the instructions say . I don't find anything about the 3-year situation based on marriage. Do you have any other information? If you could link it, I would appreciate it. 

Part 5. Information About Your Residence List every address where you have lived during the last 5 years (including other countries) prior to filing your Form N-400. Start with where you live now, and then include the dates for each place you have lived in a month, day, and year format (mm/dd/yyyy). For example, type or print May 1, 1998 to June 1, 1999 as 05/01/1998 to 06/01/1999. Provide your mailing address if it is different from your current address. Provide “In Care Of Name” information, if applicable. If you do not have a State or Province, enter the name of your city again in that box. If you do not have a ZIP or Postal Code, enter “00000” in the ZIP or Postal Code box. Form N-400 Instructions 12/23/16 N Page 7 of 18 NOTE: USCIS may not be able to contact you if you do not provide a complete and valid mailing address. If USCIS rejects your Form N-400, USCIS may not be able to return the fee for the Form N-400 to you if you do not provide a complete and valid mailing address. If you are residing outside of the United States, filing under INA section 319(b), and you want USCIS to collect your biometrics in the United States, then you must provide an address in the United States. USCIS will send a letter to your U.S. mailing address notifying you when and where to go for your biometrics services appointment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

@Butterfly83 - I was in the same situation and I asked this question in this site a few weeks ago and you can check out the responses there. Also here is the logic - if I am applying through the 3yr rule, I might have been living outside the US prior to that and therefore the answers to Date exited the US and Date entered the US, Days spent outside the US are not applicable. If you want some reading material, here you go (https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter2.html). Feel free to send this to an attorney and verify if you need more clarification. 

2 hours ago, dakalti said:

@Butterfly83 - I was in the same situation and I asked this question in this site a few weeks ago and you can check out the responses there. Also here is the logic - if I am applying through the 3yr rule, I might have been living outside the US prior to that and therefore the answers to Date exited the US and Date entered the US, Days spent outside the US are not applicable. If you want some reading material, here you go (https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter2.html). Feel free to send this to an attorney and verify if you need more clarification. 

That's helpful thanks. Though what you attached still doesn't clarify my question, it only talks about the 6-month rule which is not a problem. Since I got my green card I only spent a couple months total outside the US and I was in the US every day for the past entire year. Prior my green card I was not living in the US, but mostly traveling the world, but I visited the US a few times during that period as a tourist.
https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9898.html 

In my case the 'date existed/days spent outside' makes sense in my case. I was living outside of the US 2013 - mid-2015 (prior marriage), but I visited 3x on an ESTA as a tourist to see my now husband, so I actually entered/existed the US and while I was here on an ESTA obviously I was not outside the US either. 

I came in for the 4th time on ESTA in May 2015, got married in August, and got my green card in January 2016.

However, it is only logical that they are asking about my travels for the past 3 years. I may put down everything for the past 5 though. I mean, once they type your info in/scan you passport they anyways see your travel history and they also know when you got your green card... I mean putting down all my travel history for the past 5 years is not really a problem, it is more like a pain in the butt to have so many entries...

I am most certainly NOT hiring an attorney. This entire process is already a ridiculous amount of money, an attorney would be a complete waste!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Butterfly83 said:

That's helpful thanks. Though what you attached still doesn't clarify my question, it only talks about the 6-month rule which is not a problem. Since I got my green card I only spent a couple months total outside the US and I was in the US every day for the past entire year. Prior my green card I was not living in the US, but mostly traveling the world, but I visited the US a few times during that period as a tourist.
https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9898.html 

In my case the 'date existed/days spent outside' makes sense in my case. I was living outside of the US 2013 - mid-2015 (prior marriage), but I visited 3x on an ESTA as a tourist to see my now husband, so I actually entered/existed the US and while I was here on an ESTA obviously I was not outside the US either. 

I came in for the 4th time on ESTA in May 2015, got married in August, and got my green card in January 2016.

However, it is only logical that they are asking about my travels for the past 3 years. I may put down everything for the past 5 though. I mean, once they type your info in/scan you passport they anyways see your travel history and they also know when you got your green card... I mean putting down all my travel history for the past 5 years is not really a problem, it is more like a pain in the butt to have so many entries...

I am most certainly NOT hiring an attorney. This entire process is already a ridiculous amount of money, an attorney would be a complete waste!

Why would they care about anything BEFORE you residence date on your green card?  We travel out of the USA often.  Pretty much a ratio 2 months in USA and 1 month international travel.  We will only be providing information for 3 years since "residence since date" on the green card since it will be a naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen.  This topic has been discussed many times here on VJ.  

51 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

Why would they care about anything BEFORE you residence date on your green card?  We travel out of the USA often.  Pretty much a ratio 2 months in USA and 1 month international travel.  We will only be providing information for 3 years since "residence since date" on the green card since it will be a naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen.  This topic has been discussed many times here on VJ.  

Thanks for being 'nice'. Why are you even on this thread anyway if you are not filing for N400 this October (and looks like not for another year +)? Sorry that I don't read every single post every day but only ask people on a relevant thread where others are applying to the same thing when I do. Besides, when I searched the forums, nothing relevant enough popped up. And I am not necessary looking for opinions but if anyone has read it anywhere that it is not 5 yrs for us, because it says on the application and guides that they want 5 yrs. Why? I don't know. But it certainly doesn't say "except in case of marriage".... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.