saladboye

F2A to IR-1 Upgrade Timeline Thread

595 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2020 at 11:20 PM, PK_ said:

Even 1.5 months after the initial upgrade request, the latest response from USCIS says that I'm still on the F2A processing queue at the Nebraska Service Center.

So far, a "note" for the upgrade has been added to my case. I have uploaded the certificate of naturalization on myUSCIS, and I have filed K-3.

why did you file for K-3 if you don't mind me asking?

• 3 weeks later...

Even 1.5 months after the initial upgrade request, the latest response from USCIS says that I'm still on the F2A processing queue at the Nebraska Service Center.

So far, a "note" for the upgrade has been added to my case. I have uploaded the certificate of naturalization on myUSCIS, and I have filed K-3.

Hey I just submitted a request to upgrade my I-130! Are you approved yet? If so how long did it take for you to get approved? 

8 minutes ago, MagentaLife said:

Hey I just submitted a request to upgrade my I-130! Are you approved yet? If so how long did it take for you to get approved? 

Yes, my case got approved already. I had to get a congressman involved to make an inquiry to USCIS and get the case properly upgraded. It took about 2 months after I was able to confirm that the case was upgraded, but I don't know the exact timeline of when the upgrade actually happened. 

Edited by PK_

• 2 weeks later...

I received a reply to my service request to updgrade I-130 to Immediate relative. Couple of questions 

- how long after should I get a decision on my case as now petition is upgraded?

- Looking at reply from them, do i need to double check with USCIS regarding upgrade status or their response is satisfactory? 

40FA710D-4A53-4A1A-BDED-3B1250493692.jpeg

Edited by MagentaLife

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone, I would like to share our F2A to IR-1 upgrade timeline story.

I filed our F2A I-130 and I-130A to petition for my wife in February last year, with a priority date of Feb 24, 2020 at the California Service Center. (As far as I know the case was never transferred). As with so many,  the status remained on "Case was received" for over a year with no progress.

On April 13th 2021 I became a US citizen and on April 14th I submitted the upgrade request with a copy of my naturalization certificate to USCIS.

I never received any notification that the upgrade had gone through, but on May 4th I contacted USCIS through the Emma chat and a USCIS representative confirmed that my I-130 petition for alien relative was amended to include my new citizenship status.

In the morning of May 7th the status of the I-130 application changed to "Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS" and later that same day the I-130 approval letter showed up under the Documents tab in my MyUSCIS online account.

I am obviously very happy with this development, but also amazed with how quickly things started moving after the upgrade.

Still some ways to go of course.

Best of luck to everyone.

How did you sent upgrade request? I'm about to do it soon as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:59 AM, MagentaLife said:

Just call USCIS and create service request! It took me only a week to get my petition upgraded. 

Did they ask copy of your citizenship? I just chatted with an agent and he only asked for my Alien registration number and said he created a service request for me to upgrade my I-130. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got E-mail from VSC that my application has been upgraded. VSC is super backlogged, Not sure when or what to expect at this point. 

Applied on 2/16/2021 

Upgraded on 6/7/2021

However, I do not see any changes on my online USCIS account. Does anyone know how long it takes to reflect it online?

Recently, you contacted USCIS concerning your Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to notify us that you have naturalized and are requesting an upgrade in the status of your petition. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Congratulations on your naturalization.  We will be updating your relative petition to reflect that you are now a U.S. citizen. As a result, your petition will be moving to a new visa category for an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen. This category does not have numerical restrictions, and a visa will be immediately available from the U.S. Department of State.

Please use your naturalization date as your processing timeframe date when checking processing times online.  No further action is required on your part.  Please be patient as this process moves forward.

Your case will soon be processed.

Edited by mycase17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi, 

I have read few comments here and thought i post my question here.

I am currently waiting for my Oath ceremony to become a US Citizen (hopefully this month)

I applied green card for my wife and her daughter Jan 2018 (I was LPR at the time)

Now, she is DQ' d and waiting for IL at Mumbai. Now, my question is the following

Once I get the Citizenship, I am going (or have to) to upgrade my wife's case from F2A to IR1 which hopefully won't be an issue but daughter as for me she is my step daughter (minor 12yrs)

what should i do? as she wont be a derivative anymore. Some said apply I130 but that will delay my wife's interview which already been so long.

what are my options? they both have tourist visa and have visited me in US few times in last 4 years.

Can I apply her I 130 when they both come here and do Adjustment of Status? (Wife will attend her interview and bring daughter on tourist visa)

Since she will be joining school in Sept so I have to find something to make sure both come here in time for the school.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 10:19 AM, txdoc said:

Hi Guys,

I am about to apply for i130 F2A soon. My estimated naturalization date is 02/2020. Does the F2A -> IR1 upgrade change the service center at all? Is it always maximum 5 months after upgrading that the i130 gets approved? I noticed people already had their i130's pending for for 7-8 months before they upgraded and got i130 within 5 months.. was just wondering how the timeline works. regardless, i130 under 1 year with CSC possible if i130 PD is 06/2019 and upgrade request is 02/2020?

Did you get your interview scheduled?

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, Wouter said:

Hi everyone, I would like to share our F2A to IR-1 upgrade timeline story.

I filed our F2A I-130 and I-130A to petition for my wife in February last year, with a priority date of Feb 24, 2020 at the California Service Center. (As far as I know the case was never transferred). As with so many,  the status remained on "Case was received" for over a year with no progress.

On April 13th 2021 I became a US citizen and on April 14th I submitted the upgrade request with a copy of my naturalization certificate to USCIS.

I never received any notification that the upgrade had gone through, but on May 4th I contacted USCIS through the Emma chat and a USCIS representative confirmed that my I-130 petition for alien relative was amended to include my new citizenship status.

In the morning of May 7th the status of the I-130 application changed to "Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS" and later that same day the I-130 approval letter showed up under the Documents tab in my MyUSCIS online account.

I am obviously very happy with this development, but also amazed with how quickly things started moving after the upgrade.

Still some ways to go of course.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi . I need some guidance.  Where is your case now? And in my country I heard from  few  people with DQ ( documently  qualified December 2020 are getting Interview and visa. I am little bit tense that if my case get qualify at NVC after upgrading ,so I have to wait again two years to reach DQ ( documents  qualification date) to get in line and get interview.  What is the criteria  for interview . After upgrading and waiting  already two years.My priority date is October 2020.F2A case .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Needhelpme said:

Hi . I need some guidance.  Where is your case now? And in my country I heard from  few  people with DQ ( documently  qualified December 2020 are getting Interview and visa. I am little bit tense that if my case get qualify at NVC after upgrading ,so I have to wait again two years to reach DQ ( documents  qualification date) to get in line and get interview.  What is the criteria  for interview . After upgrading and waiting  already two years.My priority date is October 2020.F2A case .

Hi, I am fortunate to be able to tell you that my wife immigrated to the US in November 2021 on her CR-1 visa and we have been happily together for the last five months. So our visa-journey is over, but of course I am still happy to help.

I would like to understand your situation better. (It helps if you fill in the 'timeline' in your profile.) So you were DQ in Dec 2020 and your case is with NVC, and you say you are F2A case. So I assume you are still a Green Card holder? And you are expecting to become a US Citizen soon?

If/when you become a US Citizen you will have to write to the NVC to upgrade your case but it will not slow you down and will not cause you to have to wait more.

Your priority date of October 2020 will stay the same and secures your place in line (and in my experience it may even speed things up a little).

It sounds like you have been in DQ for a long time, that must be very frustrating. I hope the letter with the interview invitation will come soon. 

46 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Hi, I am fortunate to be able to tell you that my wife immigrated to the US in November 2021 on her CR-1 visa and we have been happily together for the last five months. So our visa-journey is over, but of course I am still happy to help.

I would like to understand your situation better. (It helps if you fill in the 'timeline' in your profile.) So you were DQ in Dec 2020 and your case is with NVC, and you say you are F2A case. So I assume you are still a Green Card holder? And you are expecting to become a US Citizen soon?

If/when you become a US Citizen you will have to write to the NVC to upgrade your case but it will not slow you down and will not cause you to have to wait more.

Your priority date of October 2020 will stay the same and secures your place in line (and in my experience it may even speed things up a little).

It sounds like you have been in DQ for a long time, that must be very frustrating. I hope the letter with the interview invitation will come soon. 

Thankyou for your response.  My spouse was green card holder when spouse applied for my visa . In 2020  end. Priority  date october 2020 .It still with US immigration.  At California  service center with no approval  yet. Still pending. Still in reviewing  process since more than a year. My case has not been documented  qualified  yet . It is not in NVC. My spouse upgrading my case after his citenzship  recently.  Sorry for my poor English.Some people whose document qualified date is December  2020 ,they are getting interview in my country. So it made me tense that my case has not reached NVC yet. But if it upgraded to IR1, then I have to wait for interview  2 years more ? in the line of interview ? I tried my best to clear my point .As in my country people who has documented  qualified in December  2020 are in interview process now. I will be so far. Then? Thankyou 

Edited by Needhelpme
Error

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.