JODO

Young Muslims in Cairo transform the hijab

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I agree, MBP. I missed that statement. Where does it say Muslim women can't talk to any men besides their brother? How would a Muslim woman conduct business if she couldn't speak to a man besides her brother? So all the Muslimah's in the work place or out shopping, etc. are being immodest?

the whole package is there as well, i.e. lowering her gaze, loose clothing, not talking to men other than her brother, etc.

The whole point of hijab is not to hide women, but to liberate them so that they can move freely and conduct business in society. Maybe I took this statement too literally.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it sad that when someone new posts for help, you get very little response because you are not in the "click" yet. But if you try to come up with some conversation other than bitching about the whole immigration process, you get all kinds of responses, mostly negative. Why do people jump on the bad stuff? I guess that is our frustrations coming out else where.

So, I will delete my profile, and just go back to reading and keep my mouth shut. I certainly don't need this sort of stuff, I have enough on my plate.

Lighten up people, stop getting so offended just because we don't all share the same opinions. The world is full of differences.

I think you're being a little too sensitive here. If you want to be juvenile and delete your profile go right ahead. You can't go around making generalizations and offensive sweeping statements like "divorced women are damaged goods" without ppl taking offense to it. No one was being "bitchy", we were simply objecting to your broad statement.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I find it sad that when someone new posts for help, you get very little response because you are not in the "click" yet. But if you try to come up with some conversation other than bitching about the whole immigration process, you get all kinds of responses, mostly negative. Why do people jump on the bad stuff? I guess that is our frustrations coming out else where.

So, I will delete my profile, and just go back to reading and keep my mouth shut. I certainly don't need this sort of stuff, I have enough on my plate.

Lighten up people, stop getting so offended just because we don't all share the same opinions. The world is full of differences.

well there is No Need to leave.. Just note that when you post something - you then leave it open for discussion / opposition. And I know how Some egyptians/ arabs people feel towards divorcee's BUT that I think is Not all of Egypt/ Arab countries. Egypt is a Muslim country.. And if they were to follow TRUE Islamic standards - Marrying a divorced woman is actually something that our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w... Several times.. so it is sunna :)

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Consider yourself initiated...

not yet, she's not undergone the "attack of the mena harpies" :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Consider yourself initiated...

ah but this is only phase 1!!!!!!

:whistle:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline
I agree, MBP. I missed that statement. Where does it say Muslim women can't talk to any men besides their brother? How would a Muslim woman conduct business if she couldn't speak to a man besides her brother? So all the Muslimah's in the work place or out shopping, etc. are being immodest?
the whole package is there as well, i.e. lowering her gaze, loose clothing, not talking to men other than her brother, etc.

The whole point of hijab is not to hide women, but to liberate them so that they can move freely and conduct business in society. Maybe I took this statement too literally.

Thank you both for hilighting that statement. This is her personal preference, not a muslim thing, as you already know. When men come into the flat she goes into another room with her sister, they are not in the same room. When she goes shopping she goes with her brother and he does the talking, etc. Again, her personal preference.

moody - does your husband call all niqabi wearers ninjas or just certain ones?

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

All of them. He finds the niqab too extreme and unnecessary.

Thank you both for hilighting that statement. This is her personal preference, not a muslim thing, as you already know. When men come into the flat she goes into another room with her sister, they are not in the same room. When she goes shopping she goes with her brother and he does the talking, etc. Again, her personal preference.

moody - does your husband call all niqabi wearers ninjas or just certain ones?

Edited by moody

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Sheesh this was mild. Wait till we really let loose.

feel free, i just completed the fallout shelter with 4' thick reinforced concrete walls and ceiling :D

There's a harpie click?

Jackie

birds of a feather, ya know? :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm just gonna throw out what my husband thinks of the niqab. Of course when I was in Egypt I asked why some women wore different clothing. He really dislikes the niqab and feels woman should not have to wear them. He said many woman will wear what their husbands tell them to wear (niqab)and he is very much against that. I personally commented on the woman I saw wearing the colorful hijabs because I thought they were beautiful they way they were worn.

Timeline

Well everyone is different. We were eating at a fast food place in Cairo and there was a niqabi eating next to us. I pointed her out to my husband and his reaction was "alhumdulilah".

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.