JODO

Young Muslims in Cairo transform the hijab

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well, I might as well jump in here, though it's possible I'll regret it.

:P

Though I reverted almost a year ago, I only started wearing hijab full time yesterday.

When I first reverted, there was a very well meaning sister revert who tried desperately to make me understand that it was absolutely necessary to put hijab on right away, there was no option about it. She was so adamant about it.

It was a pretty big turn off.

I knew that for me, it was better to wait til I understand and could accept it on my own, so that it would be something I was firm about and was doing for God, not for someone else.

Now, that's just me.

I'm happy about my decision to start wearing hijab and I think it came at the right time, with God's guidance.

I have my opinions about how other people wear hijab, but most of it has already been stated here so there's nothing new to add on that front.

I also know that no one here on earth is perfect, though I know a few people who seem to think they are. :D

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all of the information and opinions!!!

i don't consider any style that i would be wearing a hijab cause it would not be for religious purposes (fashion only). and, i have seen many Egyptians with colored eyes *my hubby's are honeydew green* so i know that is not reason alone for people to get stared at. (even though he does! he gets remembered for his eyes anywhere he goes. so, i know it's not the only reason, but it's one of them)

i already stand out when we are in public and i dont want to grab additional attention. it seems like the more people stare, the more i have to watch what i say or do. i didnt want to be looked at as a Christian who is mocking the religion like someone said. *btw, the blue-eyed thing was just a side note. there are other factors that let people know we are christians , like our names, no females being covered in the group, cross tattoos on our wrists, etc* all of those things together make it apparent.

the more i think about it, i think that it's ok and non-offensive to wrap my hair, but i will probably wait to test it out in USA.

i guess the main thing is like moody said she likes to blend in while in Egypt. and living here in another culture with Christians who don't cover themselves at all, i would not blend in with my family. that is the most important thing to me; to make them feel comfortable. and then when i go home, i can wear it without any apprehension.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY

NameN1.gif

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well, I would say I'm one of least muslim people on this board.

Maybe we should have a contest to see who is the least muslim? :P

It's on!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Well, I would say I'm one of least muslim people on this board.

Maybe we should have a contest to see who is the least muslim? :P

It's on!

Ummm I vomited in the mosque that held a companion of the prophet's body. :blush: Then again I peed at the baptism site (in the bathroom of course, not just randomly on the tour-- which probably would have been pretty awesome for story-telling points), so I'm pretty equal-opportunity.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I wonder how many would enjoy having their religion made a mockery of on a regular basis by people saying, essentially, just do what feels good and call it "my personal version of Islam". Those of you who are offended by people who defend their faith are offensive right back. If Muslims were here making comments that amount to blowing off the tenets of other faiths, those among us who hold their religion dear would be taken aback. No one makes light of Christianity or any other faith here as much as people do of Islam.

And it's not about who wears hijab or not, or who is "more Muslim" or not, it's a matter of respect, especially from those who are not Muslim. Don't expect anyone to take your indignity when some people make insensitive comments about Arabs SOs seriously until you learn to start treating Islam as a serious faith, with rules, limits and conditions that serve to please God and provide guidance. These are not trivial matters left soley to personal opinion. Whether you wear hijab or not, the symbols and practices of the faith are not fodder for frivolity. I see way to much of that in comments here, and wonder why Islam is taken so lightly in a MENA forum.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Well my comment was just made to try to lighten the situation :) I was extremely car sick and asked him to pull off the road and that happened to be where we were. I was in the bathroom there, for which I was so glad I made it because I really had to by the planter and I didn't want to do it like just ON the grounds, you know? Yuck!:)

Personally, this is a forum for immigration information and I know everyone goes OT but I just scroll on by most religion things here. I didn't come here for religion or religious education or religious bashing or religious anything. Not interested. I belong to other groups for education, support, etc.

People always have something to say regarding religion, and being that I am not a vehement opponent of things (I dislike things in private, quietly, unless I feel someone is particularly threatened) nor someone who is into prosteletizing my own beliefs (again, keep things to myself unless someone specifically asks, and only then I may decide to talk in private about it.) I like to stay out of this stuff because it doesn't make sense to me (the interest I mean).

I think, in the MENA forum, Islam is kind of an unspoken majority; either due to actuality (Muslim So, Muslim self) or culture (predominantly Muslim country). Like myself, obviously Jordan has a Muslim culture for the most part, and my husband is Muslim even if I am not. I respect that like he respects me. I have my little post-it on the wall of our bedroom where I figured out Qiblah for him, I call him every morning (nearly) to wake him up for fajr, or when we happened to end up at that mosque, I encouraged him to stay and not worry about me for the next 30-45 minutes and to go ahead and stay until the next prayer. I lay down his rug for him and he picks it up. I'll do prayers while he's praying, and usually I'll also make us some kind of a fruit snack or bring him chocolate, etc. We have a routine more or less because I am like the human prayer clock.

I think Americans in general poke fun at things they are (or think they are) familiar with. We don't have the same cultural sense of boundries for better or for worse. We also tend to be very much into individualism as a culture (although it's kind of debatable how much we REALLY accept that, we at least all pay lipservice to liking the idea!). Do I think you can just make up your own thing and call it your own interpretation? No. There are clear and set rules. The rules are there for a reason, and the reason is not just to break them. There are also exceptions to the rules. I know of a woman who is heading one of the yahoo groups I am on for modest covering and she has severe health issues which rpevent her from donning the hijab as she desires it. She has had many scholars tell her this is alright-- because it is more haram to endanger her health when she can simply remove niqab and some hijab in order to be safer. This is an obvious special case-- this is obviously different than a matter of CHOICE.

I disagree with one thing you said GEG-- you said it is a matter of respect, especially from those who are not Muslim to not mock the religion. I actually think it's equal on both parts, I wouldn't cut Muslims any slack.. in a way I would think they should be more accountable than non-muslims (ie they should know better). But this is just my differing opinion.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Timeline

Mo calls women who wear higab like this, ninjas or ghosts. He can't stand it.

Just a side note about the comment that divorced women in Egypt are considered damaged goods. Tell that to my divorced SIL who has suitors lined up for her. It is she who doesn't want to get remarried, not lack of men wanting to marry her. Let's not generalize.

The only Hijab I like is

hijab2.jpg

Edited by moody

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Though I reverted almost a year ago, I only started wearing hijab full time yesterday.

When I first reverted, there was a very well meaning sister revert who tried desperately to make me understand that it was absolutely necessary to put hijab on right away, there was no option about it. She was so adamant about it.

It was a pretty big turn off.

I knew that for me, it was better to wait til I understand and could accept it on my own, so that it would be something I was firm about and was doing for God, not for someone else.

Now, that's just me.

I'm happy about my decision to start wearing hijab and I think it came at the right time, with God's guidance.

I have my opinions about how other people wear hijab, but most of it has already been stated here so there's nothing new to add on that front.

I also know that no one here on earth is perfect, though I know a few people who seem to think they are. :D

Oh Melly congratulations hon!!!!!! (((Hugs))))) I so totally know what a big step this is for you!!! I hope some day I can muster up the courage to go fulltime myself.

You know, my SIL does wear her hijab fashionably but it's still somewhat subdued. In other words there really are no sequins or anything. She just matches the color to her shirt or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't have to wear a potato sack over my head just to make a point of being modest. I think it's perfectly fine if you are wearing, say a dark blue tunic and loose jeans that you also wear a dark blue scarf or some such thing like that. You'd still be dressing modestly and as far as she goes, the whole package is there as well, i.e. lowering her gaze, loose clothing, not talking to men other than her brother, etc.

I also agree though, and have learned the hard way on this board thanks to a few, that this is not the best of places to discuss these things. Just wish my islamic board would get back up and running though 'cause I'd love to discuss this topic with the members there!!!

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Amazing how popular this topic is! I was just in Alexandria/Cairo a few weeks ago, and I asked my hubby about that. He told me all the younger, unmarried girls are dressing that way to try and attract a husband. Seems like it is about 3 to 1 over there. And if you get divorced, forget it, you won't get another chance, you are like damaged goods. So I think the competition is high, so maybe that is why. And we all know men are visual creatures by nature. They don't give a hoot about how nice, smart, funny you are etc.....Generally anyways, not all men, but most. And I did take note: And it seemed the married ones were more true to form, loose clothing, hijab, no make up.

Also, I DID wear a Hijab and overcoat while I was there. I am a Christian, but I have red hair and freckles and I got SO tired of being stared at, it was unbelievable. I felt like the afternoon lunch menu!!! It was very uncomfortable to wear being as it was getting warm, I just don't know how they do it. I can't stand long sleeves, never have! So for me, it was pure torture!

My SIL and one of my husbands cousins both which are divorced, have a few men wanting to marry them. Guess all men don't think they are damaged goods.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh Melly congratulations hon!!!!!! (((Hugs))))) I so totally know what a big step this is for you!!! I hope some day I can muster up the courage to go fulltime myself.

Yup.. I send a BIG CONGRAT's to Melly too !!!!!!! You made a wonderful step ! (F)(F)(F)

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Mabrouki aleik Melly!

Also Doodlebug: mabrouk aleiki...I know that took alot of prayers and courage. May Allah bless you.

Egyptianwife: I have found in the ME divorced women are like old shoes, but elhamdullah not true here in the Maghreb.

Filed: Timeline

Sorry Henia but I think it's only certain families and communities who consider divorced women "old shoes". It really bothers me that ppl generalize about this. I haven't personally encountered this kind of mindset regarding divorced Mid East women and I've known lots of women from the region. I've known Yemeni, Egyptian, Moroccan and Iraqi women who successful remarried after being divorced. This is not only in the states but also in the home countries. Our own GEG and JP are good examples that Arab women are not always looked at as damaged goods after divorce.

Edited by moody

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Sorry Henia but I think it's only certain families and communities who consider divorced women "old shoes". It really bothers me that ppl generalize about this. I haven't personally encountered this kind of mindset regarding divorced Mid East women and I've known lots of women from the region. I've known Yemeni, Egyptian, Moroccan and Iraqi women who successful remarried after being divorced. This is not only in the states but also in the home countries. Our own GEG and JP are good examples that Arab women are not always looked at as damaged goods after divorce.

Thanks for including me in not being damaged goods, sis :D but I'm not a divorcee :blush:

the whole package is there as well, i.e. lowering her gaze, loose clothing, not talking to men other than her brother, etc.

The whole point of hijab is not to hide women, but to liberate them so that they can move freely and conduct business in society. Maybe I took this statement too literally.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.