JODO

Young Muslims in Cairo transform the hijab

189 posts in this topic

There are quite a few Christians who hold to covering their hair for religious reasons, and also for cultural reasons (in a lot of the ME you see people basically dressed the same regardless of religion). Strict orthodox judaism also involves haircovering for women. "Modern" orthodox jews cover their hair in the synagogue. I don't see how it would be disrespectful or offensive to any group. Maybe he has another reason? the "Spanish" style does not fit the "proper" muslim covering because it doesn't cover the neck and really does look like a christian or jewish covering to me. I'd say make a friend and ask! I belong to a yahoo group for women who are christian, muslim, or jewish who cover their hair and dress modestly or are interested in it.. I can see if anyone knows of an online tutorial.

thanks for the info. a tutorial would be nice.

when i wear it, it will be just for fashion. like i tell my hubby sometimes "cause i want to, thats why!" hehhehehe but, he told me part of his reasons. i mean, he said in his family, noone covers their hair. so, maybe he doesn't want me to stick out more than i already do. i mean i stick out in his family & in public.

so all eyes are on me, and in USA it wouldn't even be an issue, but here it is so important what your family thinks about you and i wouldn't want to give my MIL any reason to have to defend me or my fashion tastes.

but, im definitely gonna wear it when i get back to USA even if i have to teach myself how to do it. i just hope i dont ####### myself to death with the pins! :wacko:

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't think it would be disrespectful if you wore higab in Egypt even if you're Christian. The only way I would think it would be disrespectful if you were doing it mock the religion. Many women (foreign) wear it in MENA countries for various reasons even if they don't normally wear it. I'm a non practicing Muslim who doesn't wear higab here but when I'm in Egypt I do wear it. I wear it for two reasons...1. out of respect for my inlaws and 2. to "blend" in. If you haven't noticed Egyptians tend to stare which makes me very uncomfortable. I have dark hair and eyes but my skin is very fair so if I'm covered I don't get the stares.

I like the Spanish-style one from the slideshow. It looks nice and chic.

me too. and i also like this style worn by J Lo.

jlolook1.jpg

i have seen many girls here in Cairo wearing this style but with 2 or 3 different colors weaved together into a big side bun or a bun in the back. i love it and i want to learn how to tie it!! but, my husband frowns upon me wearing it here cause i am not Muslim. he said i can wear it if i want, but he thinks it will draw negative attention. in USA it wouldnt be a big deal. singers like India Arie and Erykah Badu wear scarves and wrap their hair up. and i grew up with many African-American friends who wrap their hair and it always looks so chic.

what do you all think? if i were to wear anything it would be in this style or in the spanish style from the slideshow (not the neck-covering style), but do you think that in Cairo, it would be seen as disrespectful?? a blue-eyed Christian American wearing a head wrap : would it be offensive to the Christians or the Muslims, cause i don't want to offend anyone. do you think it would be disrespectful to ask a Muslim girl how to tie them? or does anyone know how to do it and could explain it to me?

CommentBack3.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

EVen if I wanted, I cannot see how to do some of these styles...or why they would want to...wearing one hijeb is hot enough...but 3,4,5,6? just to be cute? stupid...the whole point of veiling is to veil (cover) but anyway... In my opinion if you want to so cute like a Barblie doll....take the damn hijeb off...donnot disrespect the hijeb...and ruin it for the rest of us...PLZ!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
EVen if I wanted, I cannot see how to do some of these styles...or why they would want to...wearing one hijeb is hot enough...but 3,4,5,6? just to be cute? stupid...the whole point of veiling is to veil (cover) but anyway... In my opinion if you want to so cute like a Barblie doll....take the damn hijeb off...donnot disrespect the hijeb...and ruin it for the rest of us...PLZ!

Point taken. I don't wear headscarves myself; the ayat that some claim demand headcovering can be debated. However, there is no doubt that they command modesty in direct contrast to a public display of one's beauty and adornment. So, if you believe that you are covering to fulfull a command from God to be modest, trying to be "cute" and attractive to men is the opposite of what God commands as modesty.

The style that Jlo is shown wearing is very common among African-American Muslimas. I used to wear that syle myself when I was young due to their influence in the Washington, DC ummah. It's not so much fashion for them, since it has been a stable of dress for decades. It's more about incorporating their African heritage; the style is also common in the sub-Saharan part of the continent.

Blue-eyed Muslims are not unknown in the Arab world. I doubt any Muslim would care what color a hijab wearer's eyes are.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Blue-eyed Muslims are not unknown in the Arab world. I doubt any Muslim would care what color a hijab wearer's eyes are.

Did I miss something??? where did the eye color thing come from?

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Timeline

one of my egyptian friends had dirty blonde hair and blue/ green eyes.. When people see me they ask if I am Syrian :P Cause I have fair skin but Bright blue eyes

I'll have to re read her post about the eyes...

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Timeline

Just for Kicks...

Who on this site actually wear a Hijab?????

I do !!!

:thumbs::dance::yes::content::dancing:

Edited by deemabrouk

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

I just don't see how someone wearing a "cute" hijab affects you at all, much less ruins it for you. You are free to wear any style of hijab you see fit, or not to wear one at all.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just don't see how someone wearing a "cute" hijab affects you at all, much less ruins it for you. You are free to wear any style of hijab you see fit, or not to wear one at all.

it's the "more muslim than thou" olympics, kerewin.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

BLACK BURQA FOR EVERYONE !!!!!

Wooo HOOOOooo!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Timeline

Henia I find your opinion on this odd given that you've posted so so many stylish hijabs in the past on this board.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

it's the "more muslim than thou" olympics, kerewin.

I would welcome a more reasoned discussion of this. I guess history has shown, however, that this forum does not tolerate reasoned discussion of potentially inflammatory topics.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.