JODO

Young Muslims in Cairo transform the hijab

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I agree, Jean.

If you're gonna wear it for it's intended purposes, do it right.

The original intent behind wearing hijab, when adopted as an outward symbol of modesty in Islam, is just that. Modesty. It was never to be a point of attraction or adornment for any reason, but rather to dissuade it. If I am mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ah another hijab or not thread - it's been a while since we've had one of these :pop:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Timeline
I think they look great and that this is their way of claiming a tradition thrust upon them as their own.

I don't think it's for any of us to judge why or why not someone chooses to wear the hijab. People should be allowed to have it mean whatever they want it to mean and express whatever they want it to express.

Why can't you allow people to have their own interpretations of things? It means more when you think something through yourself and decide to apply it as you see fit than sticking to one person's dogmatic view of what's right. I know some of you are convinced that you know what the correct true interpretation is of Islam, but there are millions of other people who are convinced of exactly the same thing and have come to different conclusions from yours.

It's pretty insulting for the article's premise to be based on the wearing of hijab to mean these people are "more religious" now and by deduction, more religious than those who don't wear hijab. If you can't see that and prefer to believe others think they know more than you, well, you aren't thinking very critically of the entire situation, and certainly not coming at it from the Muslim POV.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Frankly, I don't care who wears hijab or why, but call it fashion, if that's why you're wearing it all fancy to attract attention, not a command from God. That's like Christian hookers wearing big bling crosses to advertise their street walking piety.

Exactly, just call it what it is. I'm sure the author considers herself a friend of Islam but the platitudes in the article are missing any common sense or historical knowledge, let alone knowledge about the current politicization of hijab.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

I think they look great and that this is their way of claiming a tradition thrust upon them as their own.

I don't think it's for any of us to judge why or why not someone chooses to wear the hijab. People should be allowed to have it mean whatever they want it to mean and express whatever they want it to express.

Why can't you allow people to have their own interpretations of things? It means more when you think something through yourself and decide to apply it as you see fit than sticking to one person's dogmatic view of what's right. I know some of you are convinced that you know what the correct true interpretation is of Islam, but there are millions of other people who are convinced of exactly the same thing and have come to different conclusions from yours.

to those repressed women across the muslim world, what with all that stuff thrust upon you: all hail your american liberator, here to help you beat it to fit and then paint it to match. DIY islam-it's the next big thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yeah they're always good times, aren't they?

how long a life expectancy do you give this thread? i think it's got less than an hour

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Frankly, I don't care who wears hijab or why, but call it fashion, if that's why you're wearing it all fancy to attract attention, not a command from God. That's like Christian hookers wearing big bling crosses to advertise their street walking piety.

Exactly, just call it what it is. I'm sure the author considers herself a friend of Islam but the platitudes in the article are missing any common sense or historical knowledge, let alone knowledge about the current politicization of hijab.

no peezey, everything in mubarak's egypt occurs in a vacuum.

for real though, im disappointed in the christian science monitor. they're usually smarter than this fluff.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
ah another hijab or not thread - it's been a while since we've had one of these :pop:

LOL..

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Some muslims think it's offensive for women to wear anything other than a black hijab that covers them entirely except for their eyes.

Some muslims think that wearing any hijab, colorful or not, fashionable or not, is appropriate (as shown in this article).

Some muslims think that if you wear a hijab it has to be modest.

Some muslims think wearing a hijab at all is unnecessary.

Some muslims think wearing a shirt is unnecessary as long as their hips down are fully covered and they have something on their head.

Are they all right? Are they all wrong?

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Some muslims think it's offensive for women to wear anything other than a black hijab that covers them entirely except for their eyes.

Some muslims think that wearing any hijab, colorful or not, fashionable or not, is appropriate (as shown in this article).

Some muslims think that if you wear a hijab it has to be modest.

Some muslims think wearing a hijab at all is unnecessary.

Some muslims think wearing a shirt is unnecessary as long as their hips down are fully covered and they have something on their head.

Are they all right? Are they all wrong?

Who knows? My point is, the article is from a western, non-Muslim POV and clearly states the idea that these young girls are wearing fancy hijab means they are more religious now. That's #######. And then to say they are trying to get looks from young men is really crappy, because maybe they are or aren't, but again, it's totally contradictory to the idea of hijab, which means modesty, not just a piece of cloth, so calling the author and/or the interviewees out on their knowledge and how they've framed this article really has nothing to do with what does or does not constitute a proper head covering.

It's pretty insulting for the article's premise to be based on the wearing of hijab to mean these people are "more religious" now and by deduction, more religious than those who don't wear hijab. If you can't see that and prefer to believe others think they know more than you, well, you aren't thinking very critically of the entire situation, and certainly not coming at it from the Muslim POV.

I suspect the increase in hijab wearing is more a sign of politics than religion. Even if the women profess apolitical ideology.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

I don't think it's as simple as saying to each their own in this case simply because religion is involved. *Personally*, because I am not religious, I am not offended by however women would like to wear their hijab, or if they wear it at all, but if hijab actually held spiritual significance for me, then I might see it as an affront upon Islam. What if the new fashion was to start wearing lots of different funky colored rosary beads? Wouldn't Catholics find that inappropriate since it undermines the deeper meaning of the religious symbol?

Or like what Madonna did with kabalah. I can see it now: the Rosary! In colors! It's about girl power, right?

Anyhow. Hijab is supposed to mean modest, not 'head scarf', as far as I understand. A girl I knew at school from Dubai covered, and she usually wore loose slacks, a long sleeved t-shirt, and a black headscarf. Looked like any other schlubby calc student, but a little more modest.

On the other hand, 'modest' seems to be interpreted as 'wearing a head scarf', so if I were a rebellious teenager who wanted to bend the rules without breaking them, I'd probably have pink and purple scarf just so I could say, 'see, dad, i AM following the rules.' I think the Catholic girl equivalent is wearing a low cut or slightly unbuttoned shirt with a gold crucifix.

It's Holy Skin, you see.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

I like the Spanish-style one from the slideshow. It looks nice and chic.

me too. and i also like this style worn by J Lo.

jlolook1.jpg

i have seen many girls here in Cairo wearing this style but with 2 or 3 different colors weaved together into a big side bun or a bun in the back. i love it and i want to learn how to tie it!! but, my husband frowns upon me wearing it here cause i am not Muslim. he said i can wear it if i want, but he thinks it will draw negative attention. in USA it wouldnt be a big deal. singers like India Arie and Erykah Badu wear scarves and wrap their hair up. and i grew up with many African-American friends who wrap their hair and it always looks so chic.

what do you all think? if i were to wear anything it would be in this style or in the spanish style from the slideshow (not the neck-covering style), but do you think that in Cairo, it would be seen as disrespectful?? a blue-eyed Christian American wearing a head wrap : would it be offensive to the Christians or the Muslims, cause i don't want to offend anyone. do you think it would be disrespectful to ask a Muslim girl how to tie them? or does anyone know how to do it and could explain it to me?

CommentBack3.gif

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

There are quite a few Christians who hold to covering their hair for religious reasons, and also for cultural reasons (in a lot of the ME you see people basically dressed the same regardless of religion). Strict orthodox judaism also involves haircovering for women. "Modern" orthodox jews cover their hair in the synagogue. I don't see how it would be disrespectful or offensive to any group. Maybe he has another reason? the "Spanish" style does not fit the "proper" muslim covering because it doesn't cover the neck and really does look like a christian or jewish covering to me. I'd say make a friend and ask! I belong to a yahoo group for women who are christian, muslim, or jewish who cover their hair and dress modestly or are interested in it.. I can see if anyone knows of an online tutorial.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.