Shamla

Travel to the US on K1 as a refugee

92 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Doesn’t  that look bad?

Not for K-1* or CR-1, since both are processed by the immigrant visa (IV) section of the consulate. For a tourist visa, it could seen as an illegal attempt to bypass asylum in Italy with an end goal of applying for asylum at US POE.

*Although the K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa, it's always processed by the IV section.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

So while his asylum is in process he should ask the consulate if they would take his interview for marriage or fiancé visa? Wouldn’t they think that he’s in asylum status but inquiring about going to US. That’s why I asked if it looks bad to them bc he would have to mention his asylum status and even if it would affect his asylum negatively. 

1 hour ago, Shamla said:

Paul,

i don’t have a birth certificate for marriage abroad. I have a US citizenship certificate. I’m not sure if that can be used in lieu of a birth certificate for marriage abroad. 

Also i worry if he goes to the consulate to ask if they would take his interview for marriage visa, that might raise question to them bc he’s in asylum status asking about marriage visa to US and whether they would take his interview . Doesn’t  that look bad?

About the naturalization certificate in lieu of birth certificate - that's not an absolute issue for USCIS.   You need to check with the Italian Consulate / Embassy in the US.   He can not seek guidance from the US consulate in Naples.  Only you can ask since you are a citizen.  I think all you need is an Infopass appointment.  He can accompany you.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
5 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

About the naturalization certificate in lieu of birth certificate - that's not an absolute issue for USCIS.

OP's concern about her birth certificate is not about USCIS/DOS issue, but about the marriage process in Italy based on Italian law, https://www.italianweddingevent.com/wedding-requirements-for-italy/requirements-for-us/:

Birth Certificate

The original Birth Certificate, with Apostille and translated into Italian should show the names of both parents. Send the original birth certificate to the appropriate office to be authenticated for use in Italy.

Marriage in a third party country seems to not be an option at this time, http://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/5791/what-is-the-schengen-area-and-how-does-it-impact-refugees:

Traveling Europe as a refugee?

Refugees arriving in EU countries often receive a temporary permit while waiting to be granted asylum status. This permit does not usually allow them to move between Schengen states. It is illegal for refugees to travel to another Schengen country, and might reflect negatively on the asylum application if transgressions against these rules were to be found out.

Once granted asylum status, they may travel around the Schengen area using their asylum documentation. In Germany, for example, when a refugee is granted asylum, they receive a blue pass, which allows them to mover freely around the Schengen area.

Click here to read more about the Blue Pass.

5 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

I think all you need is an Infopass appointment.

Isn't an Infopass only for an USCIS office (i.e. the USCIS office in Rome). @Shamla, you can try calling (Italian number (+39) 06 9480 3777; US number 703-543-9310) the IV section and ask about the residence status requirement. You can also try Skype (usvisaitaly): https://it.usembassy.gov/visas/iv/

Timeline

Thanks TM92,

regarding the birth certificate you are correct. I meant for marriage in Italy a birth certificate is needed. I was actually not born in the US and I don’t have a birth certificate from my country. Should I contact the Italian consulate to ask about what can be used in lieu?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Should I contact the Italian consulate to ask about what can be used in lieu?

Yes; you'll have to go to them anyways if you want to do the "Atto Notorio" outside of Italy: https://www.italianweddingevent.com/wedding-requirements-for-italy/requirements-for-us/

Edited by TM92

13 hours ago, cduran said:

She specifically stated that they would obtain a tourist visa to marry, which as you mentioned, is fraud. It's fine to be here on a tourist visa, meet someone and then spur of the moment decide to get married here, of course. Nothing illegal in that. But if their plan was coming here with a tourist visa with the purpose of marrying, it can hurt his path to citizenship later down the line.

As I said before it’s ok to get a visa and get married within the US, what it’s fraus is entering with a non immigrant visa with the intent to adjust status. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, p-ana said:

As I said before it’s ok to get a visa and get married within the US, what it’s fraus is entering with a non immigrant visa with the intent to adjust status. 

For OP's fiance's situation, the consensus is that this issue is moot. To avoid derailing the thread, this could be continued elsewhere (here for example: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/658852-tourist-visa-us-marriage-return-home-apply-for-cr1/?do=findComment&comment=9374286).

Timeline

Thanks to everyone. It looks like I have two choices. 

1. Ask the consulate about residence status. 

2. If he has to wait for asylum acceptance and his legal residence is what’s accepted then wait for that to happen and then at least at that point we can travel to Denmark for the marriage.  

3. If we can begin the CR1 while his review paperwork is going on then marry in Italy and move forward that way. 

If theres anything I’m missing please add. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Nothing missing. For #3, you already have another thread 👍:

After a quick look at that wikihow link, my assumptions were correct: the process is very bureaucratic. But, you'll persevere and overcome the bureaucracy. Good luck.

Timeline

Thank you TM92. Yes extremely tedious process. In none of the links did it say how long after the ceremony does it take to get the marriage license from Italian sources. If I have to wait 6 months for a marriage license to be issued, that would be so much more waiting bc I would have to wait for that before applying for CR1. 

Is this something he should ask the registrars office in Italy?

Filed: Other Timeline
56 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Thanks to everyone. It looks like I have two choices. 

1. Ask the consulate about residence status. 

2. If he has to wait for asylum acceptance and his legal residence is what’s accepted then wait for that to happen and then at least at that point we can travel to Denmark for the marriage.  

3. If we can begin the CR1 while his review paperwork is going on then marry in Italy and move forward that way. 

You can also see your options at the K1 visa now. Don't quote me because I'm not sure, but if he is in Italy and hasn't received refugee status yet, he might just be able to apply with his Afghani passport as an Afghanistan citizen living elsewhere.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
27 minutes ago, cduran said:

You can also see your options at the K1 visa now. Don't quote me because I'm not sure, but if he is in Italy and hasn't received refugee status yet, he might just be able to apply with his Afghani passport as an Afghanistan citizen living elsewhere.

Normally, a fiance can interview for a K-1 visa only in their own country or the country of legal resident status....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Cduran,

yes his Afghanistan passport is what would be used for the K1 or CR1 Paperwork. The question is that would the consulate agree to interview (CR1 interview) him in Italy while his paperwork is going on or would they only agree to it after his asylum is accepted. That’s what I will need to find out from consulate. 

Everyone is saying go the CR1 route as That’s the stronger one. 

Timeline

Paul,

for CR1 does the interview have to be in the country the couple was married? I think maybe that was the old K3 rule. Does it hurt the CR1 if the couple marries in a third country? 

In our case if we marry in Denmark after he gets his asylum accepted because it’s easier process in Denmark. Would the interview still be in Italy or would they require it to be in Denmark? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.