Shamla

Travel to the US on K1 as a refugee

92 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I’m having a hard time finding information on this site. I’m going to explain the situation as clear as possible. If my fiancé gets his asylum approved in Italy and he has some sort of legal status and then I move forward to apply for a K1 visa for him, does he need a travel document? He has a passport from the country where he is from. I can use that passport (from the country he is from) to include in the k1 visa form. Would this passport be the one he would be using to come to the US and would this passport be the one that will include the k1 visa stamp? I’m just hoping we don’t have to obtain a travel document as it can take a year to even get that document and we don’t want to have to wait that long to apply for the K1. Please let me know. Thanks. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes to all. I think your fiance will be fine with the current passport no extra traveling document will be needed as long as the passport is at least 6 months valid from the time of visa interview.

Timeline

Thank you so much for your resonse. One more quick query. If we decide to marry in the US after his asylum approval, then at that time would he need a travel document to obtain a tourist visa to marry menin he US or can he use his home country passport in this case too?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

entering the US on a non immigrant visa with the intent of staying is immigration fraud.  If you intending on marrying and leaving what is his home passport 

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Oh no! He wouldn’t stay. We would marry and then he would go back and then I apply for CR1. What I want to know is can he use his home passport (Afghanistan) to obtain a tourist visa and come marry me and then go back and then I apply for CR1? Or does he need a travel document in this instance? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would not worry about the marriage in the US on a visitor visa situation, maybe marry in Italy next time you go to see him?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Sounds like a K1 is your best bet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So I’m assuming him coming here would have to be with travel document? I too also feel maybe K1 is better if he can use his home passport and not a travel document but I was just wondering about the CR1 I outlined to see if in that case a travel document is needed instead? That’s what I’m unsure about. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Shamla said:

So I’m assuming him coming here would have to be with travel document? I too also feel maybe K1 is better if he can use his home passport and not a travel document but I was just wondering about the CR1 I outlined to see if in that case a travel document is needed instead? That’s what I’m unsure about. 

I would assume he would use his Passport, you said he had a valid one.

Timeline

Well the only thing comes to mind is whether the US Consulate will accept his status in Italy to be interviews, I assume yes but that is a long way down the road and assume other things will be sorted by then.

Timeline

You said you wanted to marry in the US so that is a K1.

He currently it seems has no status in Italy. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.