Chiara_5

Emergency Advance Parole Documents

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all,

I have a question about the emergency advance parole...i will enter the US and probably get married in late december. I am finishing the phD so I must return to my country for the final thesis discussion at the end of february/march.

My fiancee asked at the local USCIS office and was told that my reason to leave is legit enough to ask for an expedite process or emergency advance parole.

I was wondering if anyone experienced this process and how it works.

Should i go to the office as soon as i know the discussion date? 

thanks in advance for any advice/experience :) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like above. Myself not sure how that justifies as even close to any "emergency" for expedited AP. Even almost dying family sometimes can't even get 'emergency' AP so....

If you married in December then would be easily probably 5-6 months before you got normal AP/EAD combo after applying for AOS.

Just delay your entry and finish up before coming. Then don't even have to worry about it.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I recently applied for expedited processing.  The process was surprisingly swift and pain-free, albeit unsuccessful in my case.  What I did was I called the USCIS hotline at (800) 375-5283 where a very friendly officer put my application into the system.  The next day I got an email that confirmed my application and asked for additional information and proof to be faxed to (816) 251-2290.  A day after I faxed the evidence I got an answer by email: "While your situation appears serious, you have not provided evidence of an extreme emergent need."  

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

ETA: Obviously you will only be able to start this process after you have married and applied for Adjustment of Status.  You can't do it ahead of time, and even though your local USCIS office considers your reason to be legit there's no guarantee that the officer processing your application will see it the same way.  

Edited by RLA

Timeline

I know.... but i relly do not want to delay even more the stupid process of AOS. It will take me alredy 4/5 months to obtain EAD.

USCIS timeline is super long for everything. How can they leave a person life on hold for so long

Filed: Timeline

Plus, it would be hard for this to appear to be an "emergent need" after you enter the US, since you aleady aware of it and the time frame for it.  They could always decide that you should have planned your timing better to accommodate this need.  

Edit:  Roel just beat me at typing this viewpoint. 

Edited by jan22

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

AP and EAD is the same card...so many people have successfully expedited due to a standing job offer, just search the forum. You could try.

54 minutes ago, Chiara_5 said:

My fiancee asked at the local USCIS office and was told that my reason to leave is legit enough to ask for an expedite process or emergency advance parole.

Any reason is sufficient to ask for an expedite or emergency AP.

Actually getting the request approved is another issue.

26 minutes ago, Chiara_5 said:

USCIS timeline is super long for everything. How can they leave a person life on hold for so long

Because there are literally hundreds of thousands of people waiting for the same thing.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I agree with @Roel and @jan22. A rebuttal to your reason for it being an "emergency" is the fact that this is a planned schedule that you are well aware of ahaead of time.

30 minutes ago, Chiara_5 said:

I know.... but i relly do not want to delay even more the stupid process of AOS. It will take me alredy 4/5 months to obtain EAD.

The choice to immigrate is one of huge sacrifices. Which means we all had to make the sacrafice of long processes and long separation.

Anything substantial to life changes like immigration and even getting a PhD takes time. It isn't instant.

If you take some time and think about what the US government has to do then you would understand the lengthy porcess. They have to verify that your life's history that you described to them is true. They have to ensure that you would be a law abiding resident of the US and not a threat to others. Now mulitply that by millions of other applicants and you see why it takes so long.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

I totally understand...It is just that the total process is very frustrating...last year the processing time were almost half...When i filled the petition i thought i would have my visa ready maximum in September...now everything is shifted of 3/4 months and i risk to get screwed. 

I totally understand the amount of cases and the background checking etc. It is just very difficult to plan your life and decisions under these circumstances 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

CR1 would have been a better bet

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
19 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

I agree with @Roel and @jan22. A rebuttal to your reason for it being an "emergency" is the fact that this is a planned schedule that you are well aware of ahaead of time.

It doesn't need to be an "emergency" to qualify for expedited processing.  Otherwise it wouldn't really make sense for USCIS to differentiate between expedited processing and emergency advance parole. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, RLA said:

It doesn't need to be an "emergency" to qualify for expedited processing.  Otherwise it wouldn't really make sense for USCIS to differentiate between expedited processing and emergency advance parole. 

how does the expedited processing work? 😅 Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chiara_5 said:

how does the expedited processing work? 😅 Thanks!

As I described above,  and as it's described on USCIS' website: You call the USCIS hotline and take it from there. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.