Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

I've decided to just get the fingerprint search done while I await my interview date. Not sure if I'll end up needing it, but better safe than sorry! I'm gonna try to get it on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I had my interview this morning.

All went smoothly.

I was not asked to provide the new fingerprint standard. The old one was fine. Since they didn't require the new guidlines, I wasn't about to open up a can of worms by asking questions.

Sorry, it's been 15 months to get to this point. 

Congratulations!!

Removing Conditions timeline:

• I-90 accidentally submitted - 2020-08-14
  • I-751 submitted & received - 2021-03-26
  • Biometrics applied to case - 2021-04-21
  • Ready to schedule interview - 2021-12-22
  • Interview scheduled - 2022-01-04
  • Interview - 2022-02-01 / Postponed
  • New 10 year card being sent out!!!!
    2022-02-03 / Case Approved 2022-02-04

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
58 minutes ago, R.Q. said:

Congratulations and thank you for sharing this info. The old one you submitted was the visa/border with fingerprints and photo or the simple namecheck?

So glad to hear that it went well. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about you this morning. 

Timeline
On 9/4/2018 at 6:49 PM, Mary Moore said:

Our lawyer called us today to inform us that, effective September 10, all visa applicants in Montreal must submit a fingerprint-based Privacy Act Police Certificate. My husband’s interview is scheduled for September 18, so he’s scrambling to get this document ASAP. Is anyone else aware of this new requirement? NVC doesn’t even seem to know about it. If you have an upcoming interview, please look into this:

https://travel.state.gov

I just read up on this. Are you sure this applies to people whose cases are complete? If NVC accepted our other police certificate, shouldn't we bring in that same certificate to the interview? It doesn't make sense to me to get another certificate that won't even match the one we sent to NVC...

• Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Montreal, Canada
  • Marriage: 2017-05-08
  • i130 Sent: 2017-07-07
  • i130 NOA1: 2017-07-12
  • i130 NOA2: 2018-02-15
  • NVC Received: 2018-03-07
  • Case Number Received: 2018-05-10
  • Send AOS Package: 2018-05-23
  • Send IV Package: 2018-07-19
  • Case Completed at NVC: 2018-07-26
  • Interview Date: 2018-10-31 (approved!)
  • Visa in hand: 2018-11-05

Timeline
2 hours ago, R.Q. said:

Congratulations and thank you for sharing this info. The old one you submitted was the visa/border with fingerprints and photo or the simple namecheck?

I am an IR-1/CR-1 applicant. It was a Visa/Border fingerprint with a photo, not a name check

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Bethany123 said:

I just read up on this. Are you sure this applies to people whose cases are complete? If NVC accepted our other police certificate, shouldn't we bring in that same certificate to the interview? It doesn't make sense to me to get another certificate that won't even match the one we sent to NVC...

Nobody is really sure of anything regarding this mess with this certificate.  I had only uploaded the original name check without fingerprints, but  all my docs have been accepted and i have a case complete.  My CC came after the Sept 10 deadline for this new certificate.  I think most of us are going to get the new one as a "just in-case" and bring it to the interview.  Rather be safe than sorry.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Timeline
On 9/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, TGP said:

I had my interview this morning.

All went smoothly.

I was not asked to provide the new fingerprint standard. The old one was fine. Since they didn't require the new guidlines, I wasn't about to open up a can of worms by asking questions.

Sorry, it's been 15 months to get to this point. 

Congrats! Could you let us know how long it takes to get your passport back in the mail with the courier service? :)

Timeline
14 hours ago, Amyrita said:

Congrats! Could you let us know how long it takes to get your passport back in the mail with the courier service? :)

I'm expecting sometime this week, and will post when I get it.

Just received my check back from the RCMP. I had done tbd fingerprints at commissionaires in Vancouver and have the form for that. 

However, the one I received from the RCMP does not have any fingerprints on it and it says that they have been destroyed. 

This is not what the women at Commissionaires showed me I should expect. 

Anyone else recoeved theirs back? My interview is next week, and I am a little worried. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, minttea said:

Just received my check back from the RCMP. I had done tbd fingerprints at commissionaires in Vancouver and have the form for that. 

However, the one I received from the RCMP does not have any fingerprints on it and it says that they have been destroyed. 

Anyone else recoeved theirs back? My interview is next week, and I am a little worried. 

Did you get the Privacy Act one? (I am expecting to receive mine at the end of this week) And have you had any other criminal record checks done? I wouldn't worry too much, at the worst they will let you know at the interview, and you will just have to courier a new record check to them afterwards. 

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

56 minutes ago, minttea said:

This is exactly what I received last week. I called the guy and he told me that the commissionaires don’t do that specific check under the privacy act. 

Just in case, I went to local police and requested a fingerprint check. 

I’m going with what I have and hope for the best. If not, when I receive the check, I’ll mail it in. 

Timeline

Can someone post a screen shot of the actual document that is issued under the Privacy Act? My third party RCMP approved company says it will get it for me, but they would like to see a sample. Anybody who got one, please post! Thanks

Timeline
On 9/13/2018 at 10:11 AM, Vicki Corpse said:

I received my fingerprints done under privacy act yesterday. All it is, is a sheet that says there was nothing found in the RCMP database. It does have a seal but there are no fingerprints on it. 

Would you be able to post a screen shot (with the personal info blocked out) so I can show the company I am dealing with what is it supposed to look like? I don’t live in Canada so I can’t go to the RCMP or Commissionaires office.. thanks

Timeline

My appointment for the Privacy Act fingerprints isn't until October, but when i went in last week to make the appointment, the lady working there showed me a sample form of the fingerprint check not requested under the Privacy Act, and it had a photo with the fingerprints on each side of it.  The Privacy Act one does not have the fingerprints on the actual one that we were required to get, nor does it have any official seal or emblem on it because its not technically a "certified" document.  Even though on the Montreal site it says we are required to have the fingerprints displayed on the Privacy Act form, that's just not possible.  They will not have them on it.  

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Timeline

My husband had his interview this morning. It went well, thankfully. He had both the privacy act fingerprint document and regular, certified fingerprint document. He also had original background check, which was the only one of the 3 documents submitted to NVC. They actually seemed confused because the additional fingerprint documents weren’t part of the original CEAC application that the NVC sent them. So right now, it appears that they only want original documents that were submitted to NVC. But I guess it’s better to be overly prepared in case that changes.

Also, he had to get a new certified copy of his birth certificate because he misplaced the one that was uploaded to CEAC. It wasn’t a big deal, but they were able to tell that it was a different one than what had been originally submitted. So it seems like they are paying close attention to the documents submitted to NVC and making sure they match up. 

On 9/14/2018 at 12:03 AM, Sonata Arctica said:

Yes, NikLR, they do. However, they neither are doing finger prints, nor are they able to give the Privacy Act criminal check. They sent me to Commissionaires, who refused to do the certified criminal check with finger prints under the privacy act, because they said the RCMP told them NOT to do it, as it violates the Canadian privacy act. So I am confused to read all these people getting their checks done, but I dont know which ones and form where.

Hey Sonata

I haven’t read any more posts to see if someone has given you this information but you are not looking for a certified version of the privacy act, they cannot do certified versions of the privacy act. Contact your local commissioners office again and let them know you need a background check done under the privacy act but it is NOT a certified version. I was at the Commissionaires  office in London Ontario last week and they read me the email from the department of homeland security that even stated they are expecting uncertified versions. That’s probably why the commissioners office is telling you they can’t do it. My Commissionaires  office new exactly what I was looking for when I went. I have a feeling yours was being confused by the fact you were looking for a certified version. 

Hope this helps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.