Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

I received my fingerprints done under privacy act yesterday. All it is, is a sheet that says there was nothing found in the RCMP database. It does have a seal but there are no fingerprints on it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, pamdarex said:

I just called, The girl says it comes back, will have you two thumb prints and two index fingers so it wont have ALL finger prints but it will have finger prints. This is when you request it under the privacy act. 

When i went on Tuesday the guy told me this is what they have been doing since Sept 1st and haven't had any issues. It will have some fingier prints on the document itself. 

They did not have a sample of the privacy act police check when I went there this morning. However, they had a visa/border sample, which had the selected thumb and infex finger prints. I should be receiving the privacy act certificate soon and I’ll post an update. I attached a sample of a visa/border police check found online.

3E9DBA39-FBC5-47B4-A164-B390D1E00FFA.jpeg

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Vicki Corpse said:

I received my fingerprints done under privacy act yesterday. All it is, is a sheet that says there was nothing found in the RCMP database. It does have a seal but there are no fingerprints on it. 

Thank you for the confirmation. Cheers.

Edited by R.Q.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK After off of this and another few hours I have confirmed. The best practice is to get both the old visa one with the photo and fingerprints and the new privacy act one. This is coming from the girl at canadian fingerprints who confirmed for herself wit the RCMP. It;s money, that's for sure, but that is all that can be done.

the RCMP is unhappyy, they are working on it as it is a violation and makes no sense. In the end, it'll all be ok ❤️ 

Timeline
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Ahoy01 said:

If I am not mistaken this is the type of police check we should request for (https://www.canada.ca/en/parole-board/services/expungements/step-2-court-police-documents/fingerprint-based-criminal-record-check.html). Now I know the purpose of the link is not for immigration, but the type of check described in this link seems to be similar to the one the consulate is asking for. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

I would be inclined to agree with you.  I went to Commissionaires today and was told that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was adamant that the request be made under the Privacy Act.  According to the link you shared, Privacy Act searches includes searches of pardon records.  The person at Commissionaires also said that the DHS is aware that cannot be certified by the RCMP, but were okay with that.  (I got the impression that certified, "visa/border crossing" type searches might not include searches of pardon records.)

Now, I'm just hoping there's no postal strike.  CUPW workers will be in a legal position to strike on Sept 27th.

Timeline

What if one doesn’t live in Canada at the moment? I am a Canadian citizen but have been living in Mexico for awhile. I used a third party company to digitize my fingerprints and submit them to the RCMP. How can I get this Privacy Act one if I don’t live there? Ugh

Timeline

Ok, so for someone who does not live in the RCMP jurisdiction, like myself (in Calgary), where do I go and what do I ask for? I contacted Commissionaires and they refused to do a certified criminal check under the privacy act. Where do I go for that? And where do I go for the finger-print based criminal check? It's time for me to submit the documents to the NVC and I want to be sure I have and am submitting the right documents.

Please help, as there is too much divergent information being presented by so many people who might live in an area where they have agencies that can do it (or they live in RCMP jurisdictions).

Thanks.

3 hours ago, BChance said:

What if one doesn’t live in Canada at the moment? I am a Canadian citizen but have been living in Mexico for awhile. I used a third party company to digitize my fingerprints and submit them to the RCMP. How can I get this Privacy Act one if I don’t live there? Ugh

You are fine.  

1 hour ago, Sonata Arctica said:

Ok, so for someone who does not live in the RCMP jurisdiction, like myself (in Calgary), where do I go and what do I ask for? I contacted Commissionaires and they refused to do a certified criminal check under the privacy act. Where do I go for that? And where do I go for the finger-print based criminal check? It's time for me to submit the documents to the NVC and I want to be sure I have and am submitting the right documents.

Please help, as there is too much divergent information being presented by so many people who might live in an area where they have agencies that can do it (or they live in RCMP jurisdictions).

Thanks.

Calgary police have jurisdiction. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Imho for places where it is being refused then you need to get a managers letter stating why they are refusing to give it to you.  If you are within driving distance of a different city in the same area you may still be required.  For instance if you need one and live in Calgary, you may have to drive to Red Deer where there is no local police and RCMP have jurisdiction. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yes, NikLR, they do. However, they neither are doing finger prints, nor are they able to give the Privacy Act criminal check. They sent me to Commissionaires, who refused to do the certified criminal check with finger prints under the privacy act, because they said the RCMP told them NOT to do it, as it violates the Canadian privacy act. So I am confused to read all these people getting their checks done, but I dont know which ones and form where.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

You are fine.  

Calgary police have jurisdiction. 

1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Imho for places where it is being refused then you need to get a managers letter stating why they are refusing to give it to you.  If you are within driving distance of a different city in the same area you may still be required.  For instance if you need one and live in Calgary, you may have to drive to Red Deer where there is no local police and RCMP have jurisdiction. 

Airdrie is only 20 minutes away from me, but when I contacted them, they said they will not help me as I live in Calgary.

The reason for refusal according to them is simple - RCMP Privacy Act criminal check is only for people who have criminal records and have been pardoned. People who do not have a criminal record, cannot get a privacy act criminal check done, and in order to get the finger print criminal check done, you have to declare US Visa as the reason for it. That is what is causing issues here.

If there is anyone here in Calgary who knows what to do, please let me know. I am at the NVC document submission  stage and do not want to be rejected simply because I didnt have the right certificate to submit.

Just now, Sonata Arctica said:

Airdrie is only 20 minutes away from me, but when I contacted them, they said they will not help me as I live in Calgary.

The reason for refusal according to them is simple - RCMP Privacy Act criminal check is only for people who have criminal records and have been pardoned. People who do not have a criminal record, cannot get a privacy act criminal check done, and in order to get the finger print criminal check done, you have to declare US Visa as the reason for it. That is what is causing issues here.

If there is anyone here in Calgary who knows what to do, please let me know. I am at the NVC document submission  stage and do not want to be rejected simply because I didnt have the right certificate to submit.

I wouldn't call, I just show up.  I happen to know where airdrie is.  I lived in Red Deer for 9 years, Calgary for 2 and Olds for 2 years too.  

Apparently name checks are still being accepted at the consulate.  If all else fails get the regular fingerprint check and stop trying to explain to the police why you need it.  You are asking for it and thats all they need to know.  You have a right to have it.  You do not have to tell them why.  

Timeline

Well, RCMP Strathmore and Airdrie (closest to me in Calgary) both turned me away. Calgary Police refused to do finger print checks and directed me to go to Commissionaires, again. And Commissionaires refused to do the finger print certified criminal act under the privacy act and insisted on getting one done for the purposes of obtaining US immigration visa. Should I get that then? I think things have changed here in Calgary from the time that some other members lives here. For whatever reason, "just showing up" does not work anymore.

And what about the one we still need to get under the privacy act? Where do you go for that? Couldn't I just get the privacy act one from the Calgary Police without finger prints?

Timeline
58 minutes ago, TGP said:

I had my interview this morning.

All went smoothly.

I was not asked to provide the new fingerprint standard. The old one was fine. Since they didn't require the new guidlines, I wasn't about to open up a can of worms by asking questions.

Sorry, it's been 15 months to get to this point. 

Congratulations and thank you for sharing this info. The old one you submitted was the visa/border with fingerprints and photo or the simple namecheck?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.