Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

So: This morning I called the Commissionaires office in the city where I live, told the officer that I heard about this change in requirements, and asked about getting the fingerprint check under the Privacy Act. He said that JUST THIS MORNING they received a notice from Ottawa telling them about it, and assured me that if I go this morning to get my fingerprints done I should have the certificate by the time I leave for my interview. However, I then called the office in Vancouver (where I am for a few days because I had my medical in Surrey), and the woman there said that they also go the notice, but then were instructed NOT to provide those certificates because the new requirements are "against their better practices," and it's all under review. So basically she acknowledged that I might have to present this different certificate, but couldn't guarantee that they would process one for me until they've sorted it out. Which leaves those of us who have upcoming interviews in a bit of a fix! I'm going to try showing up to the office and see what they are willing to do, and then if they can't do it for me I'll go to the nearest RCMP and try to get it figured out. 😅

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

I called the commissioners in Winnipeg a couple hours ago and the agent I talked to said that he received an email

about this a couple days ago and that their office here would refuse to do the Privacy Act request, and would continue to issue fingerprints under the “immigration intent” reason. But he was firm in saying they will NOT do finger print checks under the “Privacy Act” reason. 

I’m headed to the RCMP to see if they can help me! 

K1 Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-129F: Feb 9, 2018

Petition received by USCIS: Feb 15, 2018

NOA1 Text Notification: Feb 20, 2018 

NOA2: Aug 21, 2018 😍

NVC Case # & Invoice ID: Sept 6, 2018

NVC "In Transit": Sept 18, 2018

Case "Ready": Sept 25, 2018

P3 Received: Oct 5

P3 Sent: Oct 16

P4 Received: Oct 18

Medical: Nov 13

Interview: Dec 6 - APPROVED! 

POE: Feb 12, 2019

Applied for SSN: Feb 15, 2019 (rec'd SSN: April 4th)

AOS Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485, I-131, I-765: April 15, 2019

NOA1: April 23, 2019 (hard copies received April 29, 2019)

Biometrics: May 16, 2019

RFIE for I-148: June 20, 2019 (requesting birth certificate)

Sent Response to RFIE: June 25, 2019

Response to RFIE received: June 28, 2019

I-485 "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" notice: Sept 4, 2019

I-765 (EAD) Card in Production: Oct 11, 2019

I-131 (AP) Approved: Oct 15, 2019

I-765 (EAD) Card mailed out to me: Oct 17, 2019

EAD/AP Combo Card received: Oct 19, 2019

Interview: Jan 28, 2020 - Approved 2 year conditional green card

ROC Sent I-751: November 1, 2021

Credit Card Charges Pending: November 9, 2021

Text Message: November 10, 2021 @ 3:46 am

NOA1 Dated: November 9, 2021 (hard copy received November 17, 2021)

Biometrics Waiver Dated: November 30, 2021 (hard copy received Dec 6, 2021)

Approval Notice Dated: April 10, 2024 (hard copy received April 16, 2024)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
41 minutes ago, IndigoFlowers said:

I called the commissioners in Winnipeg a couple hours ago and the agent I talked to said that he received an email

about this a couple days ago and that their office here would refuse to do the Privacy Act request, and would continue to issue fingerprints under the “immigration intent” reason. But he was firm in saying they will NOT do finger print checks under the “Privacy Act” reason. 

I’m headed to the RCMP to see if they can help me! 

I went to Commissionaires today and my request was refused. They received a circular to NOT issue this request. It appears that the RCMP was not aware of this change until recently.

I went to another fingerprinting service in Toronto and had it done without any hiccups.

57 minutes ago, R.Q. said:

I went to Commissionaires today and my request was refused. They received a circular to NOT issue this request. It appears that the RCMP was not aware of this change until recently.

I went to another fingerprinting service in Toronto and had it done without any hiccups.

I actually just got finished with mine in Scarborough and the gentleman was super nice about it. Not an issue at all. He actually said he received the email this morning. Lol 

Timeline
On 9/5/2018 at 1:10 PM, TGP said:

1) Make the request under the "Privacy Act"

2) You want a "non-certified criminal information check"

3) You want the check to include the entire RCMP repository.

Thank you for this. This is what they did as the instructions on travel.state.gov are misleading. I went to Canadian Fingerprints in Toronto.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Vicki Corpse said:

I actually just got finished with mine in Scarborough and the gentleman was super nice about it. Not an issue at all. He actually said he received the email this morning. Lol 

@Vicki Corpse I am having my wife go to the Scarborough location. Did you go to the one on Progress Road?

Also did you just tell him you needed a certificate of clearance with fingerprints under the privacy act?

Thanks!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Vicki Corpse said:

The Commissionaires in downtown Toronto was very adamant that they will not do it so I had them print a copy of the email they received, which was dated this morning. I went to a different agency: Canadian Fingerprints on College St.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm going to guess that  the privacy act requirement is not legal in Canada and why some are refusing to do it. This is going to put many ppl is a bind if they don't have other options to get it. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

26 minutes ago, CanadianinUSA said:

@Vicki Corpse I am having my wife go to the Scarborough location. Did you go to the one on Progress Road?

Also did you just tell him you needed a certificate of clearance with fingerprints under the privacy act?

Thanks!

I did go to the one on Progress Rd. 

I meantioned the privacy act and he looked rather confused so I showed him what was listed on the site and he literally read it over and said he received an email on it this morning. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, R.Q. said:

Thank you for this. This is what they did as the instructions on travel.state.gov are misleading. I went to Canadian Fingerprints in Toronto.

You're welcome. Good to get this done ASAP,  I have a feeling that the RCMP will be deluged with these requests very soon.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

I'm going to guess that  the privacy act requirement is not legal in Canada and why some are refusing to do it. This is going to put many ppl is a bind if they don't have other options to get it. 

Bad guess. It is you as an individual who has a right to request this report under the auspices of the "privacy act". Who you share this report with is your choice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
58 minutes ago, TGP said:

Bad guess. It is you as an individual who has a right to request this report under the auspices of the "privacy act". Who you share this report with is your choice.

As US immigration has always had access to an applicants criminal history. The term Privacy act had me thinking they wanted more then just your normal background check. Looking into it I see by telling ppl to get it with those terms is a benefit as the fingerprint fee is waived. 

I sure hope they get things straighten out though. Too many places in Canada do not have more then one place to go for the police checks. 

http://www.johnhoward.ab.ca/pub/A5.htm

Yes. Under the Privacy Act of Canada, every individual has the right to request access to their own criminal record anytime. Requests can be made informally to the RCMP or local police, or the request can be made formally under the Privacy Act. If the request is made under the Privacy Act, the costs normally associated with fingerprinting will not apply.

When individuals request copies of their own criminal record from the RCMP, they will generally receive their full criminal record. This includes stays, acquittals, etc. However, individuals can also request a portion of their record, such as convictions only. If there are no convictions, the RCMP will provide the person with a letter stating this.

If an individual finds that there are inaccuracies and errors in his/her criminal record, the person can request corrections under the Privacy Act at the local police service. For more information on how to use the Privacy Act to access and correct criminal record information, call the Privacy Commissioner at the number listed on page 26 of this document.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I called NVC and talked to a supervisor and they confirmed to me that if your interview is after September 10, then you will need the police certificate according to the new specifications.

I also went to Commissionaires in downtown Toronto today and had similar experience where the technician told me that RCMP has asked them to not process any such requests until further notice due to it not being in line with their best practices. He also told me that RCMP is talking with U.S. embassy to clarify why they require this specific check.

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

As US immigration has always had access to an applicants criminal history. The term Privacy act had me thinking they wanted more then just your normal background check. Looking into it I see by telling ppl to get it with those terms is a benefit as the fingerprint fee is waived. 

I sure hope they get things straighten out though. Too many places in Canada do not have more then one place to go for the police checks. 

http://www.johnhoward.ab.ca/pub/A5.htm

Yes. Under the Privacy Act of Canada, every individual has the right to request access to their own criminal record anytime. Requests can be made informally to the RCMP or local police, or the request can be made formally under the Privacy Act. If the request is made under the Privacy Act, the costs normally associated with fingerprinting will not apply.

When individuals request copies of their own criminal record from the RCMP, they will generally receive their full criminal record. This includes stays, acquittals, etc. However, individuals can also request a portion of their record, such as convictions only. If there are no convictions, the RCMP will provide the person with a letter stating this.

If an individual finds that there are inaccuracies and errors in his/her criminal record, the person can request corrections under the Privacy Act at the local police service. For more information on how to use the Privacy Act to access and correct criminal record information, call the Privacy Commissioner at the number listed on page 26 of this document.

I do believe that there is an ethics issue here. That is why some agencies are balking at doing the search. Best not to mention anything about this being a requirement by the Embassy to whatever agency you choose to make the request through. You do have the right to ask for the background check under the reason "Privacy Act Request", just tell them it's for your own personal use.

Timeline
7 hours ago, R.Q. said:

Were you given any kind of timeline on how long it would take to receive your certificate? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.