Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, ITMFA said:

I got mine from the commissionaires also, also in BC. I ordered the privacy act check on a Monday, and it arrived the next Wednesday, but I was already in Montreal at my interview! 😂 I was pretty stressed about it, but they took my certified name check certificate (that I had already got before this whole mess started) and no one mentioned the new requirement at all. You'll get yours in time I'm sure! Make sure you take the other version too :) Good luck in Montreal - they're super nice! 

I'm glad everything went smoothly for you!! I'm hoping it'll come in the mail by next week (I'm planning on flying to Montreal October 13, a few days before the interview)! Yes, will definitely bring the other police check as well. Thank you and congratulations on your approval!!! 😁

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, LLabout said:

Hey everyone.

I am immigrating from Canada (Ontario) to the US, I believe i have an IR1?  anyway, the police check has stressed me out beyond belief. 

On September i went to get my Police certificate and the police services told me to use a 3rd party service (so i googled canadianfingerprints.com).  they were great and accommodated me well.  I went in there with the information from the website stating to get the PRIVACY ACT document and have my fingerprints taken, and to NOT get the Visa/border crossing etc document.  This was on a monday, (sept 10) and i received it in the mail on the friday (sept 14). (this cost me $75).  I submitted it online on the 15th to get rejected on the 17th stating that it's not the correct form.  I followed ALL THE STEPS and it was rejected.  I then called NVC and they stated that i need to get the privacy act WITH fingerprints displayed on the certificate and that it needs to be certified. I called the canadian fingerprint people and they are stuck in the middle as they don't know which one we need either as the Privacy Act is non certified, but the Visa/Border Crossing is certified and displays your picture and fingerprints, yet the NVC states to get the privacy act version. 

I then called back again on the friday and they escalated it to a manager.  This i come to find out can take up to 6 WEEKS for them to look into it. I went to the Canadian Fingerprint place AGAIN on the 19th to pay an additional $75 to get the Visa/Border Crossing check completed, which i receive in the mail today (sept 27th).  I just submitted it along with the original privacy act so here's hoping they accept them this time.  I personally think it's ridiculous to have to spend $150 for 2 different certificates and a difference of 2 full weeks of a delay because the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing. 

So, if you are wondering which one to get, as of right now i would say get BOTH completed at the same time to save yourself a headache until this is fixed. (unless it's fixed and i'm completely unaware),  Good luck all.

Have you heard anything back yet?

Consulate - Montreal, Canada

• I-130 sent - 2018-01-10
  • I-130 NOA1 - 2018-01-17
  • I-130 approved - 2018-06-23
  • NVC received - 2018-07-16
  • Received AOS + IV Invoices - 2018-08-08
  • Paid IV fee - 2018-08-08
  • Paid AOS fee - 2018-08-08
  • All submitted to NVC - 2018-08-11
  • Case Complete - 2018-08-23
  • Interview - 2018-11-27 

Timeline
1 hour ago, tnn2018 said:

Have you heard anything back yet?

No I haven't heard a thing.  i'm still impatiently waiting for them to accept my certificates.  I talked to NVC and they stated that it can take 3-6 weeks for them to get back to your case once you've resubmitted documents.  this waiting is unbearable.  every time i call they tell me to wait.  every day i waiting feels like a week.

Timeline

we already submitted the "for immigration without fingerprints and photo police certificate" and nvc denied it so then we went and got one for privacy act. Also didn't have photo or fingerprints on it. We called NVC and they said that this is also not required document that it must have photo and fingerprints. 

1. As anyone submitted and got police certificate accepted by NVC recently since this the new law?

2. What exactly did it include ?

Where did you get it please? 

Thanks!

Timeline
12 minutes ago, MissMyHusband said:

we already submitted the "for immigration without fingerprints and photo police certificate" and nvc denied it so then we went and got one for privacy act. Also didn't have photo or fingerprints on it. We called NVC and they said that this is also not required document that it must have photo and fingerprints. 

1. As anyone submitted and got police certificate accepted by NVC recently since this the new law?

2. What exactly did it include ?

Where did you get it please? 

Thanks!

Edited because i missread the reply.  The Privacy Act one has to be requested without visa/bordercrossing on it.  The final product will not have fingerprints or photo on it at all.  Call your local police station/RCMP or if there is a commissionaires near you to get it done at.  There is still a lot of confusion about what they want ect... 

Edited by SKB2017

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Timeline
On 9/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, MtnBoarder said:

Just to add to your response, when I was at the commissioners office they actually read me the department of homeland security memo that was sent out. The memo itself has contradictions in, first stating that they were looking for a certified copy but then a bullet point beneath that states that non-certified copies are whats available, and what they’re expecting. So yes, there certainly are contradictions and it does make you wonder who wrote the memo! That’s why In all of the posts I’ve done I try to make it clear that it’s a non-certified copy that everyone needs. Some people seem to be getting hung up on the certified versus non-certified version. Also, Just because fingerprints are done and a picture is taken it doesn’t mean that it’s going to show up on the form.  I was told from the beginning that it wouldn’t  contain my picture or prince, and that’s exactly what I was expecting and received.  I think the commissioners office I went to just happen to know what they were doing and talking about  because I received exactly what they said I was going to receive. I do believe there still a lot of confusion since it is a new process so I hope everybody gets it figured out  as easily as I did. 

So did your non certified privacy act police certificate without finger prints and photo get approved  by NVC when you submitted it?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MissMyHusband said:

So did your non certified privacy act police certificate without finger prints and photo get approved  by NVC when you submitted it?

I got the regular name check done and submitted that and it was accepted and i got a case complete september 13.  It was not the privacy act one that was submitted.  I do have an appointment tomorrow to get the Privacy Act police check done and will be bringing that along with the regular visa/bordercrossing one that does have the photo and fingerprints on it as well.  I'm not leaving anything up to chance in my interview.

Edited by SKB2017

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center

Timeline

We submitted the visa immigration police certificate without fingerprints/photo. they rejected that. We did get the privacy act uncertificated without the finger prints done and got it back today. When we called NVC they said it had to have fingerprints. So now we are going to submit that one and explain that it doesn't come with fingerprints. Then we will get the visa border crossing with fingerprints and upload it when that comes in. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, MissMyHusband said:

We submitted the visa immigration police certificate without fingerprints/photo. they rejected that. We did get the privacy act uncertificated without the finger prints done and got it back today. When we called NVC they said it had to have fingerprints. So now we are going to submit that one and explain that it doesn't come with fingerprints. Then we will get the visa border crossing with fingerprints and upload it when that comes in. 

Yep, that's all you can do. 

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center

Timeline
On 10/1/2018 at 6:53 PM, darth vader said:

Yeah, I have the same police certificate! Thanks for sharing.

Here is what mine looks like:

MtnBoarder, yours has a small difference for the Privacy Act Request Type. (For Non-Certified Criminal Information) Who knows if this will make a difference. I think it doesn't matter at this point, 3 trips to the Surrey BC RCMP and Just another $100.00 wasted !😡😡. I also will be getting the fingerprint based criminal record check, with finger prints and photo with reason Visa/Border Crossing on it. I am off to the Commissionaires location in Surrey BC this morning. (hope they know what they are doing as it would really help at this point)

As if we all do not have better things to do than figure out what Police Certificate NVC needs. At this point I am so frustrated with the process. Stressed out is to put it mildly ! At the same time I am dealing with Urgent important Canadian Government issues-with CRA and Canadian Immigration for my husband who is the USA Citizen and Permanent Resident here in Canada. I did not need this and none of us should have to deal with this. I just came back from Vacation from a trip to Florida-we were looking for our new home (wish we were still there ☀️) haven't paid my fees yet but want to soon and upload docs and complete DS-260 application. Still waiting for other documents by mail. This will be 1 more thing to wait for. I know in the end it will be worth it, it's hard to work through it though. 

So, other members here on VJ (or future members) experiencing the same issue with the Police Certificate I totally agree and sympathis with you. Hopefully this will be clarified soon so no one else has to deal with this issue.       

attachment.php?id=38036  

Service Center: Nebraska 

Consulate: Montreal, Canada 

Marriage: 1994-07-02

I-130 Sent: 2017-11-13

I-130 NOA1: 2017-11-17

I-130 RFE: 2018-06-01 (Requested Large Marriage Certificate-Applied to Government for Certificate)

I-130 RFE Sent: 2018-06-29

USCIS Email Received acknowledging receipt of RFE: 2018-07-10-same date shows received on USCIS website.

I-130 Approval NOA2 Letter received with Notice date of: 2018-08-10

I-130 Approved-NOA2 USCIS Website: 2018-08-13 

USCIS Email received stating we sent your case to NVC on: 2018-08-20 (Email received: 2018-09-13)

NVC Received Case: 2018-08-27-Date received by phone call to NVC-advice given to call NVC 7 days after case sent to NVC

Called and also emailed NVC to ask question about New Requirement for Police Certificate Effective Sept 10th: 2018-09-07, was advised would take 8 weeks for case number from date received at NVC. (Only took 3 weeks)

Received Case number: 2018-09-18-Email Received 

Received AOS & IV Bill: 2018-09-18-Email Received

Paid AOS & IV Bills: 2018-10-09

CEAC website shows AOS & IV as "Paid":  2018-10-11 (2 business days) 

IV Application (DS260) completed: 2018-11-01

Submitted AOS & IV Documents: 2018-11-04

Case Complete: 2018-11-09 

Interview date received by phone call and email: 2018-12-17

Interview Date: Jan 25, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. 

Interview Complete: APPROVED ! 🙂🙂

Passport/Visa received at home address in BC: 2019-02-01

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Kat & Jim said:

Here is what mine looks like:

MtnBoarder, yours has a small difference for the Privacy Act Request Type. (For Non-Certified Criminal Information) Who knows if this will make a difference. I think it doesn't matter at this point, 3 trips to the Surrey BC RCMP and Just another $100.00 wasted !😡😡. I also will be getting the fingerprint based criminal record check, with finger prints and photo with reason Visa/Border Crossing on it. I am off to the Commissionaires location in Surrey BC this morning. (hope they know what they are doing as it would really help at this point)

As if we all do not have better things to do than figure out what Police Certificate NVC needs. At this point I am so frustrated with the process. Stressed out is to put it mildly ! At the same time I am dealing with Urgent important Canadian Government issues-with CRA and Canadian Immigration for my husband who is the USA Citizen and Permanent Resident here in Canada. I did not need this and none of us should have to deal with this. I just came back from Vacation from a trip to Florida-we were looking for our new home (wish we were still there ☀️) haven't paid my fees yet but want to soon and upload docs and complete DS-260 application. Still waiting for other documents by mail. This will be 1 more thing to wait for. I know in the end it will be worth it, it's hard to work through it though. 

So, other members here on VJ (or future members) experiencing the same issue with the Police Certificate I totally agree and sympathis with you. Hopefully this will be clarified soon so no one else has to deal with this issue.       

attachment.php?id=38036  

OK, so I see that my attachment did not work (sorry) . The only difference is what I stated above. My Privacy Act Request Type shows " Other (Provide Details) ". Other than that it is exactly the same, finger prints taken on Sept 10th and issued on Sept 11th. I will try and figure out this attachment thing for future posts. 

Edited by Kat & Jim
more clarifying comments.

Service Center: Nebraska 

Consulate: Montreal, Canada 

Marriage: 1994-07-02

I-130 Sent: 2017-11-13

I-130 NOA1: 2017-11-17

I-130 RFE: 2018-06-01 (Requested Large Marriage Certificate-Applied to Government for Certificate)

I-130 RFE Sent: 2018-06-29

USCIS Email Received acknowledging receipt of RFE: 2018-07-10-same date shows received on USCIS website.

I-130 Approval NOA2 Letter received with Notice date of: 2018-08-10

I-130 Approved-NOA2 USCIS Website: 2018-08-13 

USCIS Email received stating we sent your case to NVC on: 2018-08-20 (Email received: 2018-09-13)

NVC Received Case: 2018-08-27-Date received by phone call to NVC-advice given to call NVC 7 days after case sent to NVC

Called and also emailed NVC to ask question about New Requirement for Police Certificate Effective Sept 10th: 2018-09-07, was advised would take 8 weeks for case number from date received at NVC. (Only took 3 weeks)

Received Case number: 2018-09-18-Email Received 

Received AOS & IV Bill: 2018-09-18-Email Received

Paid AOS & IV Bills: 2018-10-09

CEAC website shows AOS & IV as "Paid":  2018-10-11 (2 business days) 

IV Application (DS260) completed: 2018-11-01

Submitted AOS & IV Documents: 2018-11-04

Case Complete: 2018-11-09 

Interview date received by phone call and email: 2018-12-17

Interview Date: Jan 25, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. 

Interview Complete: APPROVED ! 🙂🙂

Passport/Visa received at home address in BC: 2019-02-01

21 hours ago, MissMyHusband said:

Good luck!! Hopefully it works out for you!

Timeline

Thanks! I will try to keep everyone updated. Also, if anyone has recently had their police certificate accepted, please let us know which one it was?

We did call the US Consulate in Montreal today, they gave me an email and I sent my inquiry, but all I got was an automated response.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.