Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, MtnBoarder said:

As of sept 10th they also want a “criminal background check under the privacy act’, and this is a NON CERTIFIED record. When I was at the Commissionaires office here in Ontario, for mine, they read me the department of homeland security bulletin and it said that they(the US) is expecting non certified records. When I called the rcmp prior to going to the Commissionaires office, they too also said that it was an uncertified copy that the US is looking for.

a few of us on here have received them and they do state that it was done under the privacy act and that there were no results of criminal charges basically. Fingerprints get destroyed, and despite the fact they take your picture, no picture is on the form. Also, I don’t believe they even put their embossed logo on it.

I also had don’t the other background check in July that does come with your picture, and is certified. So, I have both...a few of us actually have both just to be safe.  

Also, here is a link the consulate sent me with specific instructions on how to find the information.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

“Click on the “C” for Canada and then scroll to the police, court, and prison record tab” said the instructions. 

Hope this helps

Wow this is super helpful! Thank you for explaining. I was so confused and freaked out for a second. 

Where did you obtain the non certified criminal background check under the privacy act? Online or in person? 

Thank you again 🙏🏻

28 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

Wow this is super helpful! Thank you for explaining. I was so confused and freaked out for a second. 

Where did you obtain the non certified criminal background check under the privacy act? Online or in person? 

Thank you again 🙏🏻

I used the local Commissionaires office. They knew exactly what I needed when I went there.

i had the results in about 8 business days sitting in my mail box.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, I've got a question..

I've got an interview in Montreal at the consulate for a k1 application, on October 10th. I just went to a Commissionaires location here, this afternoon (Wednesday, September 26) in Toronto (the one near St. George station -- the woman, Fatima, seemed quite competent and like she knew what she was doing). She submitted a request to the RCMP for me under the Privacy Act, and explained that the Visa request category was now the wrong one (so if anyone out there is still having trouble finding someone who will do the right type of request (that is to say, one that's made under the Privacy Act category, rather than the Visa/Waiver category), and you're able to go here, then go here -- it's at 339 Bloor Street West, suite 217, and the place is called CII Fingerprinting).

The thing is, she said to me that while these requests usually take 72 hours to process, because of this change that everyone is discussing in this thread, it might take longer. I need the documentation in hand by Monday, October 8th (I'll be travelling to Montreal on the 9th, if all goes as planned).

Is it likely I'll get the documentation in time? (including mailing time from Ottawa to Toronto)

(I'm gonna look back over the thread, too, to try to get a sense of things, I just want to get my question in here as I'm kinda worried about this.)

And if I don't have enough time, would it be worthwhile to get a police certificate and hope that they'll accept that instead...?

Thanks so much!

Edited by TimonLovesSkylour

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, TimonLovesSkylour said:

I've got an interview in Montreal at the consulate for a k1 application, on October 10th. I just went to a Commissionaires location here, this afternoon (Wednesday, September 26) in Toronto (the one near St. George station -- the woman, Fatima, seemed quite competent and like she knew what she was doing). She submitted a request to the RCMP for me under the Privacy Act, and explained that the Visa request category was now the wrong one (so if anyone out there is still having trouble finding someone who will do the right type of request (that is to say, one that's made under the Privacy Act category, rather than the Visa/Waiver category), and you're able to go here, then go here -- it's at 339 Bloor Street West, suite 217, and the place is called CII Fingerprinting).

The thing is, she said to me that while these requests usually take 72 hours to process, because of this change that everyone is discussing in this thread, it might take longer. I need the documentation in hand by Monday, October 8th (I'll be travelling to Montreal on the 9th, if all goes as planned).

Is it likely I'll get the documentation in time? (including mailing time from Ottawa to Toronto)

(I'm gonna look back over the thread, too, to try to get a sense of things, I just want to get my question in here as I'm kinda worried about this.)

And if I don't have enough time, would it be worthwhile to get a police certificate and hope that they'll accept that instead...?

Thanks so much!

I would get the police certificate incase as well.

My wife went to the commissionaires office in Scarborough and we got the letter back under the privacy act within like 4 business days in the mail. I think you should be fine. They told us it may take longer due to this new requirement by USCIS but it was really quick you should be fine but get the police certificate as well it doesn't hurt. Better to have more than less because if you miss something you will have to send it in again once your interview is done, and knowing the wait times at MTL could take forever.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
53 minutes ago, MtnBoarder said:

I used the local Commissionaires office. They knew exactly what I needed when I went there.

i had the results in about 8 business days sitting in my mail box.

I called the local Commissionaires office and my city's police department (Police department confirmed that the CCRC I had done last month was under the visa/immigration category)

The lady at the Commissionaires office knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I said "Privacy Act", but she also mentioned that this type of police check is NON certified. Is this correct? She also mentioned this type of check didn't include fingerprints, embossing, etc. 

I already have the CCRC via fingerprinting done, so I'll bring that along as well

Timeline
1 hour ago, TimonLovesSkylour said:

Thanks so much!

Hey there! It took 9 days for me to receive mine. I got mine done in Toronto and they had to mail it to me 8-9 hours away. So you have a fairly good chance of getting it on time. Worse case, bring your receipt with you the embassy, show them you filed for it, and they will probably let you mail it to them after the interview. Good luck!! 

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, SR_CAN said:

I called the local Commissionaires office and my city's police department (Police department confirmed that the CCRC I had done last month was under the visa/immigration category)

The lady at the Commissionaires office knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I said "Privacy Act", but she also mentioned that this type of police check is NON certified. Is this correct? She also mentioned this type of check didn't include fingerprints, embossing, etc. 

I already have the CCRC via fingerprinting done, so I'll bring that along as well

That's correct.  The one done under the Privacy Act is a non certified one and it will not have a photo or your fingerprints on the page at all.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Timeline
7 hours ago, CanadianinUSA said:

I would get the police certificate incase as well.

My wife went to the commissionaires office in Scarborough and we got the letter back under the privacy act within like 4 business days in the mail. I think you should be fine. They told us it may take longer due to this new requirement by USCIS but it was really quick you should be fine but get the police certificate as well it doesn't hurt. Better to have more than less because if you miss something you will have to send it in again once your interview is done, and knowing the wait times at MTL could take forever.

Okay, great, that is very helpful. Thank you very much!

And I'll get the police certificate, too -- it can't hurt, like you said.

6 hours ago, MariahK said:

Hey there! It took 9 days for me to receive mine. I got mine done in Toronto and they had to mail it to me 8-9 hours away. So you have a fairly good chance of getting it on time. Worse case, bring your receipt with you the embassy, show them you filed for it, and they will probably let you mail it to them after the interview. Good luck!! 

Thank you for the feedback as well! Just wondering, was it 9 business days, or 9 days including weekends?

On 9/25/2018 at 1:41 PM, Groundbeaver said:

I submitted the $86 one. And just have the Privacy Act done 5 minutes ago for $25. The commissioner said a lot of people came back for this stupid new requirement.

$111 for a police check, that’s complete bs

1 hour ago, SKB2017 said:

That's correct.  The one done under the Privacy Act is a non certified one and it will not have a photo or your fingerprints on the page at all.

But that’s the only one you need for Canada right? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

But that’s the only one you need for Canada right? 

yes, that is the one that they are requesting.  Most of us had already done the original name check only and are going to bring that along with the new privacy act fingerprint one as well.  Why not, we paid for it already, can't hurt.  First one was $40.00  and the privacy act one for me was only $35.00.  I'm seeing a lot of price differences from people, weird.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Timeline
16 hours ago, Jlomartin said:

I literally just finished my interview.  They asked for police certificate and I asked which one they needed and they just said whatever I had.  They did not specify. I gave my name clearance first.  She didn’t say it wasn’t right.  I had the privacy act one and the visa/immigration one as well with me.  So I gave them that too.  All in all she said I came prepared and it’s always better to have more info than have something missing.

I don’t know if that helps anyone. 

Did she ask you for the other two you have when you gave the first one or did you just give it to her after she looked at the first one? Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. Did she say if one or the other would have been sufficient? 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, canadaa said:

Did she ask you for the other two you have when you gave the first one or did you just give it to her after she looked at the first one? Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. Did she say if one or the other would have been sufficient? 

To be honest she didn’t ask me for the other two after I handed the name check police record.  When I asked if she wanted the fingerprint one/privacy act checks she told me to give her whatever I had. After I handed it in she said “you came prepared.”

1 hour ago, SKB2017 said:

yes, that is the one that they are requesting.  Most of us had already done the original name check only and are going to bring that along with the new privacy act fingerprint one as well.  Why not, we paid for it already, can't hurt.  First one was $40.00  and the privacy act one for me was only $35.00.  I'm seeing a lot of price differences from people, weird.

Which Province do you live in? I thought getting my UK police check would be a headache, Canada just took it to the next level! 

I don’t understand how it’s suppose to show fingerprints when the privacy act document doesn’t show them.  It completely contradicts the US website. 

Also do you understand what this is referring to? Thanks!

• You must also specifically request the record which includes the “RCMP National Repository entire holdings.”  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.