Mary Moore

Urgent: New police certificate requirement!!!

447 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, SKB2017 said:

So you submitted all docs to NVC in August, did you have a case complete then get the email about the certificate or no?

No, my case is not completed. The letter says "We cannot accept the police certificate document you sent. You must send us the correct document so

we can continue to process your case." and " No interview will be scheduled until ALL of the information requested has been returned to the National Visa Center."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I submitted our documents to the NVC a week ago. I called them up before the submission and the lady said that I should submit whatever certificate I have, and put a comment in there, clearly stating that I will be bringing in the correct one to the interview. I just received the one from RCMP with Privacy Act as the reason and it states that in addition to having no criminal record, the finger prints and the picture have been destroyed.

To be safe, I also got one done with the Commissionaires, with finger prints and a face shot, with Visa/Border crossing as the reason. Commissionaires refused to do a privacy act one. So I will be taking all three with me whenever the interview happens.

3 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

I submitted our documents to the NVC a week ago. I called them up before the submission and the lady said that I should submit whatever certificate I have, and put a comment in there, clearly stating that I will be bringing in the correct one to the interview. I just received the one from RCMP with Privacy Act as the reason and it states that in addition to having no criminal record, the finger prints and the picture have been destroyed.

To be safe, I also got one done with the Commissionaires, with finger prints and a face shot, with Visa/Border crossing as the reason. Commissionaires refused to do a privacy act one. So I will be taking all three with me whenever the interview happens.

So the one you submitted was under Visa/Border Crossing? And you requested another one under Visa/Border Crossing?

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Groundbeaver said:

So the one you submitted was under Visa/Border Crossing? And you requested another one under Visa/Border Crossing?

Actually, before all of this fiasco, I had simply gone to the Calgary Police and requested a criminal check, with US immigration as they reason for the request. And then this who thing happened. Then I went through numerous calls and visits to the RCMP and Commissionaires, and was told that no privacy act certified criminal check with finger prints can be done. Commissionaries agreed to do a finger print-based criminal check if I paid them their fee of $86 or so, but only under Visa/Border Crossing as the reason. So I did that. And then I randomly called RCMP again, and they said they would do the finger print based criminal check under privacy act. I did that too.

Yesterday I got the RCMP one back but it doesnt have finger-prints on it. However, it does say that it was requested under Privacy Act. The one I had submitted was the first one, from Calgary Police. Seems I might be getting a checklist too, even though the lady from the NVC said that I should submit whatever one I had.

2 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

Actually, before all of this fiasco, I had simply gone to the Calgary Police and requested a criminal check, with US immigration as they reason for the request. And then this who thing happened. Then I went through numerous calls and visits to the RCMP and Commissionaires, and was told that no privacy act certified criminal check with finger prints can be done. Commissionaries agreed to do a finger print-based criminal check if I paid them their fee of $86 or so, but only under Visa/Border Crossing as the reason. So I did that. And then I randomly called RCMP again, and they said they would do the finger print based criminal check under privacy act. I did that too.

Yesterday I got the RCMP one back but it doesnt have finger-prints on it. However, it does say that it was requested under Privacy Act. The one I had submitted was the first one, from Calgary Police. Seems I might be getting a checklist too, even though the lady from the NVC said that I should submit whatever one I had.

I submitted the $86 one. And just have the Privacy Act done 5 minutes ago for $25. The commissioner said a lot of people came back for this stupid new requirement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey has anyone actually gone to their interview yet with the Privacy Act? I got mine back and as I was told, there is no fingerprints or seal. So I am wondering what your experience was with the embassy agent. I am so worried they won't accept it even though it says fingerprints were taken.

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I literally just finished my interview.  They asked for police certificate and I asked which one they needed and they just said whatever I had.  They did not specify. I gave my name clearance first.  She didn’t say it wasn’t right.  I had the privacy act one and the visa/immigration one as well with me.  So I gave them that too.  All in all she said I came prepared and it’s always better to have more info than have something missing.

I don’t know if that helps anyone. 

Timeline
20 hours ago, Groundbeaver said:

No, my case is not completed. The letter says "We cannot accept the police certificate document you sent. You must send us the correct document so

we can continue to process your case." and " No interview will be scheduled until ALL of the information requested has been returned to the National Visa Center."

My case is completed as of last week, with the police certificate that is just a background check with my name. I haven't heard anything from them about that not being the correct one. Is that the one you submitted that they rejected?  

Timeline

Also, has anyone ever heard of an experience in which all documentation was accepted by the NVC but then they were still rejected at the embassy at the interview because they weren't happy there with a document? 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Jlomartin said:

I literally just finished my interview.  They asked for police certificate and I asked which one they needed and they just said whatever I had.  They did not specify. I gave my name clearance first.  She didn’t say it wasn’t right.  I had the privacy act one and the visa/immigration one as well with me.  So I gave them that too.  All in all she said I came prepared and it’s always better to have more info than have something missing.

I don’t know if that helps anyone. 

Congrats on finishing your interview!  That is helpful to know.

1 hour ago, Alyssamac90 said:

My case is completed as of last week, with the police certificate that is just a background check with my name. I haven't heard anything from them about that not being the correct one. Is that the one you submitted that they rejected?  

The one I submitted was obtained from the Commissioner, which was the RCMP fingerprint based criminal record check requested under the type of Visa/Border Crossing. The document has my photo and fingerprint, together with the RCMP seal. That one got rejected.

I'm not sure what is the definition of "case is completed", but the first email I received after I submitted all my documents was the one stating that I need to get a new certificate before I can be scheduled an interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is anyone here from BC?

I got my police check done in August and the only option available was the  CCRC which required fingerprints + a photo.

Can anyone clarify if this is the correct one? Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.30.00 AM.png

Edited by SR_CAN

38 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

Is anyone here from BC?

I got my police check done in August and the only option available was the  CCRC which required fingerprints + a photo.

As of sept 10th they also want a “criminal background check under the privacy act’, and this is a NON CERTIFIED record. When I was at the Commissionaires office here in Ontario, for mine, they read me the department of homeland security bulletin and it said that they(the US) is expecting non certified records. When I called the rcmp prior to going to the Commissionaires office, they too also said that it was an uncertified copy that the US is looking for.

a few of us on here have received them and they do state that it was done under the privacy act and that there were no results of criminal charges basically. Fingerprints get destroyed, and despite the fact they take your picture, no picture is on the form. Also, I don’t believe they even put their embossed logo on it.

I also had don’t the other background check in July that does come with your picture, and is certified. So, I have both...a few of us actually have both just to be safe.  

Also, here is a link the consulate sent me with specific instructions on how to find the information.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

“Click on the “C” for Canada and then scroll to the police, court, and prison record tab” said the instructions. 

Hope this helps

Timeline
46 minutes ago, SR_CAN said:

Is anyone here from BC?

If you did not request it under the Privacy Act, then its not the correct one.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.