1,373 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
3 hours ago, streanor said:

@Naes @Jessica829  I'm Sept 4th receive date too and they wouldn't except my receive date yesterday.. but today receipt date for case enquiry changed to Sept 5th and it worked to send an online request!

Hopefully we all get good news soon!!

Ah thanks! It worked this morning! :) 

At least it's nice to know that there's likely not something wrong with our specific cases, just that someone has dropped the ball on our date. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My AOS receipt date is Sept 21, 2018 and my latest status shows that as of Feb 21, 2019 my EAD card was just mailed to me. (Yay!) It took 150 days from receipt date to EAD approval via the NBC.  The AOS interview will be a much longer wait. 😕

However, my AP receipt number did not show any update on the case status search. It still says “Case received “.  I was wondering if that was just a data entry delay or if my AP was not approved? 🤔

33 minutes ago, beachlover said:

My AOS receipt date is Sept 21, 2018 and my latest status shows that as of Feb 21, 2019 my EAD card was just mailed to me. (Yay!) It took 150 days from receipt date to EAD approval via the NBC.  The AOS interview will be a much longer wait. 😕

However, my AP receipt number did not show any update on the case status search. It still says “Case received “.  I was wondering if that was just a data entry delay or if my AP was not approved? 🤔

I had the same problem, my EAD kept getting updated but nothing on the AP but when I received the approved letters it was for EAD and AP so it’s just a delay on their part! Don’t worry about it :) 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, SanaW said:

I had the same problem, my EAD kept getting updated but nothing on the AP but when I received the approved letters it was for EAD and AP so it’s just a delay on their part! Don’t worry about it :) 

Phew, thanks!

I don’t plan to travel anytime soon as my short term focus is the EAD (until AOS) and being gainfully employed, but I applied for AP as a “just in case”.

My neighbor across the street is also waiting for his EAD/AP as part of a K-1 AOS but he is out of status. He was planning on visiting his father in Indonesia when he receives his AP but I told him that traveling on an AP especially when he is out of status can be a risk. 

Has anyone here traveled overseas while out of status and was admitted back to the US with an AP? Or did I give him wrong advice?

Edited by beachlover

26 minutes ago, beachlover said:

Phew, thanks!

I don’t plan to travel anytime soon as my short term focus is the EAD (until AOS) and being gainfully employed, but I applied for AP as a “just in case”.

My neighbor across the street is also waiting for his EAD/AP as part of a K-1 AOS but he is out of status. He was planning on visiting his father in Indonesia when he receives his AP but I told him that traveling on an AP especially when he is out of status can be a risk. 

Has anyone here traveled overseas while out of status and was admitted back to the US with an AP? Or did I give him wrong advice?

Out of status meaning what?

You applied for AOS before your I94 expired and he didnt? 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Out of status meaning what?

You applied for AOS before your I94 expired and he didnt? 

Yes his I-94 expired before he got married and applied for AOS after they were married.  

6 minutes ago, beachlover said:

Yes his I-94 expired before he got married and applied for AOS after they were married.  

He didnt get married before his i94 expired or he didnt file AOS before his i94 expired?

If the former he's in a whole lot more trouble than just being out of status....

Did his wife file an Alien Petition for him now? And has it been approved? 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
37 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

He didnt get married before his i94 expired or he didnt file AOS before his i94 expired?

If the former he's in a whole lot more trouble than just being out of status....

Did his wife file an Alien Petition for him now? And has it been approved? 

Yes as I mentioned above his I-94 expired before he got married and they filed AOS after they were married. The I-131 was approved. He is just waiting for his EAD/AP.

I am single so I can’t relate to his case. Just wanted to help him realize that traveling with Advance Parole may be a risk for him and he should wait for his GC. I was asking if anyone here has traveled with an AP while AOS is pending and an expired I-94 prior to filing. 

Edited by beachlover

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, beachlover said:

Yes as I mentioned above his I-94 expired before he got married and they filed AOS after they were married. The I-131 was approved. He is just waiting for his EAD/AP.

I am single so I can’t relate to his case. Just wanted to help him realize that traveling with Advance Parole may be a risk for him and he should wait for his GC. I was asking if anyone here has traveled with an AP while AOS is pending and an expired I-94 prior to filing. 

If he came on a K1 visa and got married after the 90 days he violated the terms of his K1 and he has to leave the country ASAP and file for I-130. 

Anyway, AP status doesn't change with a lot of people. Check when your card comes in that it says 'serves as I-521 Advanced Parole' on the bottom and you're good.

Edited by C90

Timeline
1 hour ago, C90 said:

If he came on a K1 visa and got married after the 90 days he violated the terms of his K1 and he has to leave the country ASAP and file for I-130. 

Anyway, AP status doesn't change with a lot of people. Check when your card comes in that it says 'serves as I-521 Advanced Parole' on the bottom and you're good.

Thanks, I will definitely check the card as soon as it arrives.

Apparently, he has overstayed for quite some time. He eventually found the love of his life and she petitioned him as soon they were married. His petitions have been approved so far and he’s only waiting for his EAD/AP.  He was telling me of planning a visit to his father when he gets his AP since it’s been a long time since they’ve seen each other. That is when I warned him and asked him to be patient and wait for the GC because he may not be re-admitted even with the AP.

That’s why I wanted to ask if there are people in this forum who have overstayed, have/had an AP, traveled abroad and was able to successfully return. Or maybe not?

5 minutes ago, beachlover said:

Thanks, I will definitely check the card as soon as it arrives.

Apparently, he has overstayed for quite some time. He eventually found the love of his life and she petitioned him as soon they were married. His petitions have been approved so far and he’s only waiting for his EAD/AP.  He was telling me of planning a visit to his father when he gets his AP since it’s been a long time since they’ve seen each other. That is when I warned him and asked him to be patient and wait for the GC because he may not be re-admitted even with the AP.

That’s why I wanted to ask if there are people in this forum who have overstayed, have/had an AP, traveled abroad and was able to successfully return. Or maybe not?

So what you're saying he used his K1 to get into the US, left that fiancee, hung around illegally and then found somebody else to marry, filed an I-130, was approved even though he failed to fulfill the requirements of the K1 and didn't leave afterwards?

I dont think you will find anybody here that would be brave enough to do that, lol.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

So what you're saying he used his K1 to get into the US, left that fiancee, hung around illegally and then found somebody else to marry, filed an I-130, was approved even though he failed to fulfill the requirements of the K1 and didn't leave afterwards?

I dont think you will find anybody here that would be brave enough to do that, lol.

Actually, that is not what I am saying. It is not as complicated as you've outlined above.

1. He already overstayed way before he met his current wife. His original visa was a B1/B2 visitor visa. He has not left the US in 4 years.

2. He has never been engaged or married prior to his current marriage. They were introduced my mutual friends.

3. His wife petitioned him AFTER they were married. It's a legitimate marriage. His AOS case is pending.

4. His petitions have been approved thus far and is now just waiting for his EAD/AP.

5. When his EAD/AP arrives, he told me he would like to fly to Indonesia to visit his dad.

6. I warned him that the AP is not a guaranteed re-entry to the US and since he overstayed prior to his petitions, he should just wait for his GC to travel overseas.

7. I am asking if there are similar situations (or know of others) who used their AP to return to the US even if they have been here illegally prior to AOS filing but are bearers of an Advance Parole.

8. Bottomline - I advised him to err on the side of extreme caution but now I wondered if there were others who have successfully returned from abroad using their AP when they overstayed prior to filing the original petition through marriage.

Since it is not my case, I may have gotten the petition codes wrong. Sorry. Just trying to help him since he and his wife are such a nice couple and I just want this to work out for them, including not leaving the US (even with an AP) if that will be detrimental to his case.

Edited by beachlover

5 hours ago, beachlover said:

Phew, thanks!

7 minutes ago, beachlover said:

Actually, that is not what I am saying. It is not as complicated as you've outlined above.

1. He already overstayed way before he met his current wife. His original visa was a B1/B2 visitor visa. He has not left the US in 4 years.

2. He has never been engaged or married prior to his current marriage. They were introduced my mutual friends.

3. His wife petitioned him AFTER they were married. It's a legitimate marriage. His AOS case is pending.

4. His petitions have been approved thus far and is now just waiting for his EAD/AP.

5. When his EAD/AP arrives, he told me he would like to fly to Indonesia to visit his dad.

6. I warned him that the AP is not a guaranteed re-entry to the US and since he overstayed prior to his petitions, he should just wait for his GC to travel overseas.

7. I am asking if there are similar situations (or know of others) who used their AP to return to the US even if they have been here illegally prior to AOS filing but are bearers of an Advance Parole.

8. Bottomline - I advised him to err on the side of extreme caution but now I wondered if there were others who have successfully returned from abroad using their AP when they overstayed prior to filing the original petition through marriage.

LOL, You've misled us. We have all been responding as if he were a K1 (and you went along with it by responding as such) when in fact that's not the case at all. 

If he were a K1, what you've described that he"s done is shocking to us as we, as K1s know what the requirements of the K1 Visa are. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

LOL, You've misled us. We have all been responding as if he were a K1 (and you went along with it by responding as such) when in fact that's not the case at all. 

If he were a K1, what you've described that he"s done is shocking to us as we, as K1s know what the requirements of the K1 Visa are. 

Sorry for the confusion. Since it is not my case, I got the petition codes wrong. I should have just left it out. Just trying to help the neighbors out before a (possible) preventable mistake happens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.