ThousandMoreSteps

18 month extension after GC approval

18 posts in this topic

I received a surprise 18 month extension letter in the mail yesterday. My greencard was approved and in hand by late July. Should I give them a call and make them aware of their mistake or just destroy it?

At the end of my journey!

April 26th 2019 I became a United States Citizen!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would just file the letter in my records and forget it.........don't destroy it.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I also received a 18months extension letter in the mail today. Filed in June 2017. Case status updates case sent to local office on 26 February. Not sure is good news or bad? I’m in UK, accompany husband for work, should I travel back to Houston to apply I-130 travel document? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I received 18 month extension letter too, my case is pending and this is 2nd time I received 18 months extension letter. Looks like USCIS sent letters to anyone and everyone irrespective of case status. 

N-400 Application Timeline :

Application sent via mail - April 15th  (Field office Dallas, TX)

NOA Receipt date - April 17th

Biometrics receipt - April 22th (appointment scheduled for May 14th)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Interview completed & Case approved - November 17th

Naturalization Ceremony (in January 2020 - waiting on notice)

1 minute ago, sharin said:

I received 18 month extension letter too, my case is pending and this is 2nd time I received 18 months extension letter. Looks like USCIS sent letters to anyone and everyone irrespective of case status. 

This is my first time receiving 18months extension. The first letter received after I filed for I-751 removed conditions were quoted in letter saying GC will be extend for another year from the expiry date of GC. My GC is going to expire on 09/24, glad it got extend for another 18months so that I don’t have to go to the field office to apply emergency extension. 

2 hours ago, Adamisawesome said:

This is my first time receiving 18months extension. The first letter received after I filed for I-751 removed conditions were quoted in letter saying GC will be extend for another year from the expiry date of GC. My GC is going to expire on 09/24, glad it got extend for another 18months so that I don’t have to go to the field office to apply emergency extension. 

It’s  not another 18 months. If you read the notice carefully, it extends the gc for 18 months.

2 hours ago, sharin said:

Not to anyone and everyone, but USCIS' announcement stated letters would be sent to those with cases pending as of June 11, 2018. 

"Additionally, we will issue new Form I-797 receipt notices to eligible conditional permanent residents whose Form I-751 or I-829 was still pending as of June 11, 2018. Those Form I-797 receipt notices will also serve as evidence of continued status for 18 months past the expiration date on petitioner’s Permanent Resident Card."

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

2 hours ago, p-ana said:

It’s  not another 18 months. If you read the notice carefully, it extends the gc for 18 months.

Enlighten me please. My GC going to expired 09/24, received a notice before saying the GC extends for another one year and following received this letter today saying extend 18months, so is my expiry date counts from 09/24/2019 or from 09/24/2018? Thanks!

AA76F2ED-37BA-40A5-98E0-94C3D7279775.jpeg

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Adamisawesome said:

Enlighten me please. My GC going to expired 09/24, received a notice before saying the GC extends for another one year and following received this letter today saying extend 18months, so is my expiry date counts from 09/24/2019 or from 09/24/2018? Thanks!

AA76F2ED-37BA-40A5-98E0-94C3D7279775.jpeg

The extension is 18 months from the expiration date printed on the Green Card.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, missileman said:

The extension is 18 months from the expiration date printed on the Green Card.

Thanks for your response. So basically is being extended for an additional 6 months after I received the first notice (extended  for 1 year from my GC expiration date). 

Can i I have you opinion, should I apply N400 Naturalization at this moment? I’m eligible however I spent more time in other countries since last year due to my husband’s job relocation. 

Timeline
Just now, Adamisawesome said:

Thanks for your response. So basically is being extended for an additional 6 months after I received the first notice (extended  for 1 year from my GC expiration date). 

Can i I have you opinion, should I apply N400 Naturalization at this moment? I’m eligible however I spent more time in other countries since last year due to my husband’s job relocation. 

Correct.  It is basically a 6 month extension of the first letter.

I'm not as familiar with N-400 applications as others.  You might want to start a new thread in the N-400 forum...good luck..

Just now, missileman said:

Correct.  It is basically a 6 month extension of the first letter.

I'm not as familiar with N-400 applications as others.  You might want to start a new thread in the N-400 forum...good luck..

Thanks a lot, cheers!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As my green card was going to expire 09/15. I chose not to wait for the 18th month extension letter. and made an appointment for the  i155 stamp instead.  We just went on Monday and got the i155 stamp in my passport, thus extending my conditional green card for another year.    Like the rest of you, I received the 18 month extension letter in the mail on Friday (yesterday) as well.  I will go ahead and file this notice, as the stamp extended my green card for a full year, not another 6 months.  The processing times for the California Service center is approximately 18-21 months currently ~ So now,  I should be on the outside of these processing times and fingers crossed, everything lines up. 

43 minutes ago, NM2428 said:

As my green card was going to expire 09/15. I chose not to wait for the 18th month extension letter. and made an appointment for the  i155 stamp instead.  We just went on Monday and got the i155 stamp in my passport, thus extending my conditional green card for another year.    Like the rest of you, I received the 18 month extension letter in the mail on Friday (yesterday) as well.  I will go ahead and file this notice, as the stamp extended my green card for a full year, not another 6 months.  The processing times for the California Service center is approximately 18-21 months currently ~ So now,  I should be on the outside of these processing times and fingers crossed, everything lines up. 

That’s good for you. I were going to do the same. I’m living in UK temporary. Ticket bought yesterday, just to going back to Houston to get i155 stamp, difficult to made info pass appointment but going to walk in regardless. Somehow the extension letter came by today. Plan is still going back to Houston although extension is here. Perhaps can apply the re-entry permit or N400 in order to save the hassles in purposely paying a trip back to US or paying more money for permit and etc. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Adamisawesome said:

That’s good for you. I were going to do the same. I’m living in UK temporary. Ticket bought yesterday, just to going back to Houston to get i155 stamp, difficult to made info pass appointment but going to walk in regardless. Somehow the extension letter came by today. Plan is still going back to Houston although extension is here. Perhaps can apply the re-entry permit or N400 in order to save the hassles in purposely paying a trip back to US or paying more money for permit and etc. 

Just a caution (As I don't know your situation) but make sure you don't stay too long outside the US or your GC could be revoked. If you are spending more time outside the US then inside the US, they are allowed to revoke it. So might want to apply for citizenship if that is what you want to do, as that is not as easy to revoke (I didn't think it could be but seems there are some cases, but that is more extreme things around criminality etc.).

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.