tayae

Requirements for a co-sponsor for affidavit of support?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm a student currently living in the UK with my beneficiary so I don't have the income to support him when we go to the states. I'm a little confused about the requirements for a co-sponsor. My best friend is willing to do it and has a good full time job above the poverty line, but she has a car loan and student loans that take up half her income and we're worried that these will make her ineligible? But there's only one line about any debts on the I-134 so it doesn't seem like it's that important to them? Anyone have any idea if she could still do it? Also, do I still have to fill out an I-134 in addition to whatever co-sponsor we end up using even though I basically have no income?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Only income matters. Expenses, loans, etc., are not factored in and are not even reported.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Only income matters. Expenses, loans, etc., are not factored in and are not even reported.

On the I-134 though there's a place to write your real estate debts and other loans, is this just ignored? I do hope it's not taken into account and you're right because that would be great news for us 😃

Edited by tayae

Just in case it's relevant to you... if you've been living in the UK for six months or longer, you are eligible to apply DCF for the CR-1 visa. It's about as speedy as the process can get (took us 3 months total from filing to getting my husband's visa in hand) but may not be an option for you for many reasons.  Just wanted to make sure you were aware though :) You'll still need a co-sponsor and unfortunately, I have to defer to others here who are more knowledgeable on that for your original question.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SeabreezeUF said:

Just in case it's relevant to you... if you've been living in the UK for six months or longer, you are eligible to apply DCF for the CR-1 visa. It's about as speedy as the process can get (took us 3 months total from filing to getting my husband's visa in hand) but may not be an option for you for many reasons.  Just wanted to make sure you were aware though :) You'll still need a co-sponsor and unfortunately, I have to defer to others here who are more knowledgeable on that for your original question.

Oh man... Shooting myself in the foot a bit now for not researching more thoroughly haha. I did not know that was a thing!! But we are nearing the end of the K1 process so oh well, what can you do! Thanks anyway 🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, tayae said:

But there's only one line about any debts on the I-134 so it doesn't seem like it's that important to them?

That line is more about using assets to help with the support.  If you have a home valued at $500k, but have a mortgage of $490k, then the asset is only worth $10,000. If you make enough income, you don't really need to fill out the asset question.about stocks, real estate, insurance.  Debt does not reduce salaried income for a sponsor. 

2 hours ago, tayae said:

Also, do I still have to fill out an I-134 in addition to whatever co-sponsor we end up using even though I basically have no income?

Not for a London K1. Your friend's I-134 should be sufficient. Your fiancé may be asked about her since it's not a family member. Who is it? How do you know her? So make sure he knows she was your best friend since kindergarten, or college roommate, or co-worker for five years....just some knowledge about who is sponsoring him.

1 hour ago, tayae said:

Oh man... Shooting myself in the foot a bit now for not researching more thoroughly haha. I did not know that was a thing!! But we are nearing the end of the K1 process so oh well, what can you do! Thanks anyway 🙂

Oh darn. He could have been in the US for a few months already working, have his greencard, and it would have been cheaper.  On a K1, it may be early 2020 before he gets his greencard. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That line is more about using assets to help with the support.  If you have a home valued at $500k, but have a mortgage of $490k, then the asset is only worth $10,000. If you make enough income, you don't really need to fill out the asset question.about stocks, real estate, insurance.  Debt does not reduce salaried income for a sponsor. 

Not for a London K1. Your friend's I-134 should be sufficient. Your fiancé may be asked about her since it's not a family member. Who is it? How do you know her? So make sure he knows she was your best friend since kindergarten, or college roommate, or co-worker for five years....just some knowledge about who is sponsoring him.

That's great, thank you. In that case my mother has great income as well, she just has a LOT of debt so I was concerned about that. But now her or my best friend would work.

30 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Oh darn. He could have been in the US for a few months already working, have his greencard, and it would have been cheaper.  On a K1, it may be early 2020 before he gets his greencard. 

Oh man... Feel like we have majorly screwed up there 😔I'm such a hardcore researcher so I'm shocked I didn't discover this was an option. I think we were so excited about the prospect of getting married in the US that we only briefly looked at the marriage-first routes... Obviously that was a huge mistake as we are now 7 months into the K1 process...oh well I guess? hah.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.