Anme

Domestic Violence, not arrested and N-400

16 posts in this topic

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to help me or at least guide me to the right direction.

A couple of months ago, I had an argument with my husband and thing got heated. He called a cop on me for domestic violence, police came and talked to both of us.  He had a small cut, but I was not in handcuffs and was not arrested. The police said there will be an incident report and gave me a case number. 

A bit after that I filed N-400 and I answered no to the question about "have you ever been arrested or convicted...."  I am unsure of what to do now, should I worry about the domestic violence incident?  Do I need to get a lawyer to represent my case? I filed under 5 years rule. No other violation, clean record.

It sounds as if you had nothing to answer Yes for.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
4 hours ago, Anme said:

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to help me or at least guide me to the right direction.

A couple of months ago, I had an argument with my husband and thing got heated. He called a cop on me for domestic violence, police came and talked to both of us.  He had a small cut, but I was not in handcuffs and was not arrested. The police said there will be an incident report and gave me a case number. 

A bit after that I filed N-400 and I answered no to the question about "have you ever been arrested or convicted...."  I am unsure of what to do now, should I worry about the domestic violence incident?  Do I need to get a lawyer to represent my case? I filed under 5 years rule. No other violation, clean record.

The police themselves say it was domestic violence, or are you saying it is so based on the circumstances. Try asking this on AVVO.

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

Unless you were told you were under arrest, and and your Maranda rights read to you, you are not lying by answering "no" to that question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I would worry a lot, not about the Yes or No, but about the emotional cuts of such incidents on the one that's on the receiving end. You are ok on the N400, but is your marriage ok?

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

12 hours ago, Anme said:

A couple of months ago, I had an argument with my husband and thing got heated. He called a cop on me for domestic violence, police came and talked to both of us.  He had a small cut, but I was not in handcuffs and was not arrested. 

Make sure you don't hurt people. They you will have fewer things to worry about.

1 hour ago, love_my_wife said:

To think of it, bad things and mistakes do happen.. this forum is to seek and give answers related to applications/petitions to USCIS and not for moral policing! 

Of course mistakes happen. Far be it from me to judge anyone. But your moral character is exactly what USCIS will be looking at as you go through the process, especially when you apply for citizenship. That's all I was saying.

7 minutes ago, implife said:

Of course mistakes happen. Far be it from me to judge anyone. But your moral character is exactly what USCIS will be looking at as you go through the process, especially when you apply for citizenship. That's all I was saying.

Actually, let me elaborate on this a bit more. This forum is teeming with posts and cries for help from people whose immigration is based on their marriage to a US citizen, but who are clearly in an abusive relationship with their spouse. It seems like for many marriage is a vehicle for obtaining permanent residence and citizenship. It is not. And people should not be surprised when it is brought to their attention.

3 hours ago, implife said:

Make sure you don't hurt people. They you will have fewer things to worry about.

59 minutes ago, implife said:

Actually, let me elaborate on this a bit more. This forum is teeming with posts and cries for help from people whose immigration is based on their marriage to a US citizen, but who are clearly in an abusive relationship with their spouse. It seems like for many marriage is a vehicle for obtaining permanent residence and citizenship. It is not. And people should not be surprised when it is brought to their attention.

I do not hurt people, but sometime bad thing just happens to you. 

My husband was drunk when it happened, he was trashing the house and ended up with a small cut on him and called the police stated that I was hurting him.  Police came and talked to both of us, at the end I did not get arrested and the police told me that there will be an incident report but no charge.  I am not here to cry, I am here to seek for advice. I know that I did not marry him for the benefit of living here, I did marry him because I love him and unfortunately things have turned bad.  I have been way passing the eligible time to get citizenship, the reason why I am getting it now is because my life is here, I have been living here more than I have lived in my birth country and I would like to continue to live here.

Again, I am here to seek for advice in case anyone has similar experience or know of situation like this.

25 minutes ago, Anme said:

I do not hurt people, but sometime bad thing just happens to you. 

My husband was drunk when it happened, he was trashing the house and ended up with a small cut on him and called the police stated that I was hurting him.  Police came and talked to both of us, at the end I did not get arrested and the police told me that there will be an incident report but no charge.  I am not here to cry, I am here to seek for advice. I know that I did not marry him for the benefit of living here, I did marry him because I love him and unfortunately things have turned bad.  I have been way passing the eligible time to get citizenship, the reason why I am getting it now is because my life is here, I have been living here more than I have lived in my birth country and I would like to continue to live here.

Again, I am here to seek for advice in case anyone has similar experience or know of situation like this.

I wish you luck. Please be careful. Sorry if I offended you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

First things first. Get a copy of the incident report and see what it says. It may say nothing more than an officer was called to an address for a domestic dispute. Do you know how many times cops are called because a nosy neighbor hears a couple fighting? A lot. You may be getting a bit too anxious over nothing.

22 hours ago, Chris & Pam said:

Unless you were told you were under arrest, and and your Maranda rights read to you, you are not lying by answering "no" to that question.

This is an urban legend. Miranda rights do NOT have to be read (unless the police wants to present your statements as evidence against you in court). 

That said, if one is free to leave then it's not considered detention or arrest. 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.