2,056 posts in this topic

It's a great relief to find this thread. My friend is Iranian, had her interview for Family Second Preference (F2) in Armenia around February, 2018. She has yet to hear back from them. When we checked the CEAC site, it says she's been REFUSED. However, whenever she sends an email to the consulate asking for more information, they say that her case is under review for "eligibility for a waiver of ineligibility under Presidential Proclamation 9645". We are not sure what to do anymore except just .. wait. Should we prepare to send DS-5535 or hire an attorney to try to get some more information ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mnj11 said:

It's a great relief to find this thread. My friend is Iranian, had her interview for Family Second Preference (F2) in Armenia around February, 2018. She has yet to hear back from them. When we checked the CEAC site, it says she's been REFUSED. However, whenever she sends an email to the consulate asking for more information, they say that her case is under review for "eligibility for a waiver of ineligibility under Presidential Proclamation 9645". We are not sure what to do anymore except just .. wait. Should we prepare to send DS-5535 or hire an attorney to try to get some more information ?

My fiance has been in ap for 6 months, the email we get for them says " waiting further administrative processing" but the ceac site says refused.  They asked her for the ds-5535 info on the refusal  paper at the interview. They also told me they don't control the ceac site, as I asked the same question.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:08 PM, simplykay said:

And if they simply cancel all of these applications will we get the fees we paid back? The idea that fees have been paid in expectation of a result gives ground for a class action lawsuit against the government to recoupe those fees. Class action suits can be VERY expensive, mostly because the lawyers themselves get a big portion of the settlement or award.

13 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

So what is preventing you from going home for this?

I can certainly go home to my parents in America, but that means abandoning my fiance and her son (to whom I've become like a father)

That might be easy for other people, but I really want my entire "family" to be together. 

Also, my fiance is likely to become a caregiver to my parents once we get to America. That's something traditional in both of our cultures. Every time I mention a retirement home she refuses to consider that.

42 minutes ago, OneRoad said:

April 2019, over one year from the time we sent our first petition. 

You cannot do much at this point except wait. Most people here with iranian spouses have been waiting close to 1 yr and still dont have visas. Some are longer. At 6 months start contacting senators and house representatives for your domicile. Keep track of these communications.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
11 hours ago, Mnj11 said:

I don't know anything about F2 visas and I am surprised they have not asked for DS-5535 by now if your friends interview was back in February 2018. It would not be bad to gather the info for the DS-5535 (it took my husband a while to gather it)- just to have it ready in case they ask for it. My husband and I had hired an attorney to help with our visa process- but it was mostly a waste of money. There is little that lawyers can do about this situation. Does your friend have any family already in the U.S. that could contact a Senator or Congressman? They cannot really do to much- but the embassy is usually more likely to reply to them (as opposed to us). Glad to have you hear on this thread- it does help to know that there are others on this tough journey. Wish I had better info for you. 

13 hours ago, Cm3957 said:

My fiance has been in ap for 6 months, the email we get for them says " waiting further administrative processing" but the ceac site says refused.  They asked her for the ds-5535 info on the refusal  paper at the interview. They also told me they don't control the ceac site, as I asked the same question.

It's very frustrating. We've started preparing the DS-5535 now. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, JessM28 said:

I don't know anything about F2 visas and I am surprised they have not asked for DS-5535 by now if your friends interview was back in February 2018. It would not be bad to gather the info for the DS-5535 (it took my husband a while to gather it)- just to have it ready in case they ask for it. My husband and I had hired an attorney to help with our visa process- but it was mostly a waste of money. There is little that lawyers can do about this situation. Does your friend have any family already in the U.S. that could contact a Senator or Congressman? They cannot really do to much- but the embassy is usually more likely to reply to them (as opposed to us). Glad to have you hear on this thread- it does help to know that there are others on this tough journey. Wish I had better info for you. 

Thanks, we've started filling out the DS-5535 now. Her mother petitioned for her. It has been extremely hard on the mother, she visits her daughter every few months to spend time together. We will try contacting the Senator of her state. We've double checked the letter that they gave her after the interview and it states nothing about the DS-5535, just says her case has to be reviewed and that it can be a long process.

We did notice online that her DS-260 said "REOPENED", so we opened to check what it was complaining about, after opening it says "INCOMPLETE" now. Turns out it's complaining about passport expiration. She has a new passport, not sure if should we update the DS-260 online or email the consulate about this ? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mnj11 said:

Thanks, we've started filling out the DS-5535 now. Her mother petitioned for her. It has been extremely hard on the mother, she visits her daughter every few months to spend time together. We will try contacting the Senator of her state. We've double checked the letter that they gave her after the interview and it states nothing about the DS-5535, just says her case has to be reviewed and that it can be a long process.

We did notice online that her DS-260 said "REOPENED", so we opened to check what it was complaining about, after opening it says "INCOMPLETE" now. Turns out it's complaining about passport expiration. She has a new passport, not sure if should we update the DS-260 online or email the consulate about this ? 

That is really strange and frustrating. Yes- I would check with the Embassy and maybe also with NVC to see how they want her to update that. I would have thought that they would email her if something was missing or needed to be changed. Although sometimes I think they wait since people are already in AP for the waiver- but if she can update now it might help things to move faster later. Best of luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

April visa stats were released. There doesn't appear to be an increase in any affected country. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

NOA1: 26 July 2017

NOA2: 2 February 2018

NVC Received: 13 February 2018

NVC Case # Assigned: 22 February 2018

NVC Left: 27 February 2018

Consulate Received: 1 March 2018

Packet 3 Received: 10 March 2018

Packet 3 Sent: 8 October 2018 (we delayed intentionally)

Interview: 31 October 2018

Currently in AP!!! :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
4 hours ago, NJ515 said:

April visa stats were released. There doesn't appear to be an increase in any affected country. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/immigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-immigrant-visa-issuances.html

Unfortunately, it is true for most countries, except Yemen. I see more numbers for Yemenis! 

GOOOSH, I cannot wait for this nightmare to end. My wife and I are in utter depression :(  We cannot function man! 

Hello guys I am new to this website but I have been following this thread lately and hoping someone would get good news. I am also effected by the travel ban as my wife is from one of those countries that got banned. My wife had her interview on February this year and was placed under administrative processing. after 3 months in administrative processing I have emailed the embassy yesterday and someone from the embassy got back to me . here is their response to when I asked about my case "

I can see that this case is pending concurrence for a waiver to Presidential Proclamation 9645.  I’m not sure if you’re aware that on December 8, 2017, the Departments of State and Homeland Security began implementing the travel restrictions for nationals of Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen under Presidential Proclamation 9645 (PP 9645).  A waiver for immediate family members of the United States is available, but we must receive concurrence from Washington to issue the waiver.   U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur does not control the timeline on the waiver processing, but administrative processing related to waivers for nationals from the above mentioned countries appears to be taking upwards of a year to complete.If the regulations change or we receive concurrence on the waiver, we will contact the beneficiary immediately."  the part where they said its taking upwards of a year to complete the waiver is just heartbreaking. I am not sure where to go from here if the embassy depend on Washington to process the waivers. 

10 minutes ago, gaac20 said:

Hello guys I am new to this website but I have been following this thread lately and hoping someone would get good news. I am also effected by the travel ban as my wife is from one of those countries that got banned. My wife had her interview on February this year and was placed under administrative processing. after 3 months in administrative processing I have emailed the embassy yesterday and someone from the embassy got back to me . here is their response to when I asked about my case "

I can see that this case is pending concurrence for a waiver to Presidential Proclamation 9645.  I’m not sure if you’re aware that on December 8, 2017, the Departments of State and Homeland Security began implementing the travel restrictions for nationals of Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen under Presidential Proclamation 9645 (PP 9645).  A waiver for immediate family members of the United States is available, but we must receive concurrence from Washington to issue the waiver.   U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur does not control the timeline on the waiver processing, but administrative processing related to waivers for nationals from the above mentioned countries appears to be taking upwards of a year to complete.If the regulations change or we receive concurrence on the waiver, we will contact the beneficiary immediately."  the part where they said its taking upwards of a year to complete the waiver is just heartbreaking. I am not sure where to go from here if the embassy depend on Washington to process the waivers. 

I'm blown away that you got a personalized email. Most of their replies for us has been generic, probably just filled out a template. Unfortunately, the time it's taking to issue the waivers is just ridiculous.. I don't know how they go on about this.

13 minutes ago, Mnj11 said:

I'm blown away that you got a personalized email. Most of their replies for us has been generic, probably just filled out a template. Unfortunately, the time it's taking to issue the waivers is just ridiculous.. I don't know how they go on about this.

yeah I was surprised by how fast they replied as well but not the answer I was hoping for, so next time who do I contact to check how the waiver is going because the embassy just said its all on Washington I don't see the point of contacting the Embassy again.

6 minutes ago, gaac20 said:

yeah I was surprised by how fast they replied as well but not the answer I was hoping for, so next time who do I contact to check how the waiver is going because the embassy just said its all on Washington I don't see the point of contacting the Embassy again.

Probably try getting your senator involved. Who knows, they might be able to extract some extra information. Good luck !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.