2,056 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JessM28 said:

The great thing about American history is that it has shown that change is possible- but history has also taught that it does not come easy (American Civil War, women’s suffrage, Civil Rights Movement). The end of slavery, the rights of women and African Americans in the US were all made possible (in some cases still not perfect) because people raised their voices again and again and demanded that things change. Remaining silent will certainly get us no where- we have to start somehow. The in-it campaign is trying to make a narrative about family separation and bring this issue back to the public attention. We are all on this page because we have someone we know and love going through a very difficult situation- let’s remember to support and encourage each other as much as possible- this journey is tough enough. 

I think its wonderful that people are submitting videos. I wish there was more coverage of the family separation aspect 2 years ago. The only time this gets attention now is when a 2 year old is dying. 

I'm simply informing about the reality of the situation, which is the makeup of Congress. Unless there is a strategy to get some Republican senators on board, nothing will happen until the Presidency changes 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thanks for this thread - it's been very useful and gives some hope. I'm natural-US Born with an Iranian background and trying to marry a Syrian I met in Iran. I applied for a K1 and currently at the NOA2 stage. Per the links posted regarding the AILA Travel Ban Waiver practice guidance (version 3.0), it says the NVC stage (after u get NOA2) is one of the best times to submit a waiver packet. The thing is, many times, a "waiver packet" is referenced but I'm not sure how comprehensive such a packet should be. Are we supposed to be citing case law? Or just simply making our case on each of the three points? Has anyone tried a waiver packet or thought about such a waiver packet to submit?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, JoeySantino said:

Hi everyone, thanks for this thread - it's been very useful and gives some hope. I'm natural-US Born with an Iranian background and trying to marry a Syrian I met in Iran. I applied for a K1 and currently at the NOA2 stage. Per the links posted regarding the AILA Travel Ban Waiver practice guidance (version 3.0), it says the NVC stage (after u get NOA2) is one of the best times to submit a waiver packet. The thing is, many times, a "waiver packet" is referenced but I'm not sure how comprehensive such a packet should be. Are we supposed to be citing case law? Or just simply making our case on each of the three points? Has anyone tried a waiver packet or thought about such a waiver packet to submit?

I am a US Citizen and my fiance has an Iranian passport (although he was born and raised in Dubai, UAE). He currently lives in Canada and is a permanent resident there which is one of the examples for a waiver listed in P.P. 9645.

He has the consulate interview next week and we plan on submitting a waiver packet at the interview. We are going to include a short letter detailing why we meet the 3 criteria needed for a waiver with supporting evidence. He is going to bring the packet to the interview and will see if he can leave it with the interviewing officer. Fingers crossed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
18 hours ago, JoeySantino said:

@JoeySantino,

We prepared a waiver packet prior to our interview, but it didn't seem necessary. The consular officer immediately informed us we were going to be submitted for a waiver (also K-1 with a Syrian). But, to let you know what we prepared:

--Letters of support from a Senator and my congressman

--A letter detailing the hardship we are experiencing

That was about it. The consular officer did take our packet, but be aware I've read that some won't accept it even though you still get submitted for the waiver. 

Good luck and let us know how things go. 

NOA1: 26 July 2017

NOA2: 2 February 2018

NVC Received: 13 February 2018

NVC Case # Assigned: 22 February 2018

NVC Left: 27 February 2018

Consulate Received: 1 March 2018

Packet 3 Received: 10 March 2018

Packet 3 Sent: 8 October 2018 (we delayed intentionally)

Interview: 31 October 2018

Currently in AP!!! :(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, bashar26 said:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-richardson-travel-ban-20190122-story.html 

Recent Op-Ed on travel ban by former consular officer

Wow, interesting look into views from someone once inside the embassy. 

Good to know they find fault with the travel ban, but frustrating they can't do anything but enforce it if they want to keep their jobs.

Thank you for sharing.

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for all your help. My fiancé and I finally got an email from the US embassy in Abu Dhabi (after over 2 years in admin processing) with a supplemental questionnaire. The instructions are:

1. fill in the questionnaire

2. hit the send button when the form is completely filled up.

3. Do not/not print the form and scan it into another email

4. Do not send the form in any other format like pdf, jpg…

However, when I click on the form to fill it in, it won’t allow me to. Am I supposed to print it out, fill it in, and then scan it and reply to the embassy’s email? 

My other question is, since my fiancé’s case has been in admin processing for so long, is there any chance it might take less time for them to review his case and decide whether he qualifies for a waiver or not?

Thank you  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
10 hours ago, M-A-F said:

Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for all your help. My fiancé and I finally got an email from the US embassy in Abu Dhabi (after over 2 years in admin processing) with a supplemental questionnaire. The instructions are:

1. fill in the questionnaire

2. hit the send button when the form is completely filled up.

3. Do not/not print the form and scan it into another email

4. Do not send the form in any other format like pdf, jpg…

However, when I click on the form to fill it in, it won’t allow me to. Am I supposed to print it out, fill it in, and then scan it and reply to the embassy’s email? 

My other question is, since my fiancé’s case has been in admin processing for so long, is there any chance it might take less time for them to review his case and decide whether he qualifies for a waiver or not?

Thank you  

@M-A-F, it sounds like they are wanting you to give them the "extreme vetting" information from DS-5535. Does the form want details like your email addresses used, and social media accounts and stuff like that? Each embassy handles the collection of that data uniquely, so hopefully there is someone on here who applied through the Abu Dhabi embassy that can help with the specific questions you have. If not, you may need to contact the embassy directly for help. The consulate in Germany where we gave that data just had us reply to an email with our supplemental questionnaire answers, and there was no form. As for how long it might take... who knows!  Some have finished it within 4 months, and others have been waiting for more than a year. It's so frustrating, so keep us updated.

NOA1: 26 July 2017

NOA2: 2 February 2018

NVC Received: 13 February 2018

NVC Case # Assigned: 22 February 2018

NVC Left: 27 February 2018

Consulate Received: 1 March 2018

Packet 3 Received: 10 March 2018

Packet 3 Sent: 8 October 2018 (we delayed intentionally)

Interview: 31 October 2018

Currently in AP!!! :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
On 1/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, ClareZV said:

I am a US Citizen and my fiance has an Iranian passport (although he was born and raised in Dubai, UAE). He currently lives in Canada and is a permanent resident there which is one of the examples for a waiver listed in P.P. 9645.

He has the consulate interview next week and we plan on submitting a waiver packet at the interview. We are going to include a short letter detailing why we meet the 3 criteria needed for a waiver with supporting evidence. He is going to bring the packet to the interview and will see if he can leave it with the interviewing officer. Fingers crossed!

How did your fiance's interview go? Was anything said about travel ban waivers in the interview? 

Timeline

Has anyone tried to contact an embassy prior to the interview to find out about the waiver process? I was a speaking with a lawyer the other day and he recommended that my husband and I reach out to the embassy in advance and see if the embassy in Madrid has a procedure or would share any information. I was a little nervous about doing this- but I guess it would not hurt to try.  

Anyone know of any travel ban cases going through Madrid so far? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
54 minutes ago, JessM28 said:

How did your fiance's interview go? Was anything said about travel ban waivers in the interview? 

We "passed" the regular portion of the interview but were told we were refused under the travel ban. My fiance was given a white sheet of paper stating that, "The consular officer is reviewing your eligibility for a waiver". The also emailed him asking for DS-5355 (in email form). Our status says "Refused" on the CEAC website. 

The good thing is they took the waiver packet we had prepared and the woman interviewing my fiance said, "Oh this is good. This will help". So I think if you have a waiver packet to present at some point that is useful. At the interview my fiance was able to walk the interviewer though the packet and explain everything.

Edited by ClareZV

Timeline
3 hours ago, ClareZV said:

We "passed" the regular portion of the interview but were told we were refused under the travel ban. My fiance was given a white sheet of paper stating that, "The consular officer is reviewing your eligibility for a waiver". The also emailed him asking for DS-5355 (in email form). Our status says "Refused" on the CEAC website. 

The good thing is they took the waiver packet we had prepared and the woman interviewing my fiance said, "Oh this is good. This will help". So I think if you have a waiver packet to present at some point that is useful. At the interview my fiance was able to walk the interviewer though the packet and explain everything.

Thank you for sharing! I am sorry he was refused but that is good that they accepted your packet. I have heard that other embassy’s do not. I hope that you will hear good news soon! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Just wanted to give everyone hope inshallah:

my husband's visa was issued! After 4 months in administrative processing. He will come to the US inshallah next week.

Keep pushing anyone around you that you can for support. This is the only way. Be respectful to embassy staff but follow up over email at least once a month. Talk to your senators and representatives. Get anyone who can to make an inquiry on your case! I have a feeling we were only successful because of sustained pressure over time, from media as well if you can! I wrote a personal essay and last week when things were being spoken about in the news again, I posted it on FB and I believe this had some part in it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.