empr

Can we get married at our wedding? (i think we're too late on the whole visa process)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

Ok... my fiancee doesn't explain things well.

He just said this: "The embassy sent it with the case number.

(I always had one, and told them to use it).

I am now asking them to resend the statement."

So.. they technically got the "No Objection" with the case number before the packet with the case number. Well.. they did get it but they rejected it because of lack of postage/overpayment.

I don't know how he got a case number before the packet. He needs to tell me everything chronologically.

thanks for your patience,

Gail

Unfortunately, that can be a problem....sometimes 'they' are not smart enough to file things correctly, if they are not received in the order that the instructions state. This can cause unnecessary delays only frustrating the applicant (you and your fiancee). That is why I asked what step you were at in the process? I'm assuming you completed step one, which was filling out the Data Sheet, attaching the self addressed envelopes and the correct amount of payment....then sending the whole packet to the Department of State at address listed. Was this the envelope that was returned to you for lack of postage?

Once this initial info is sent....the applicant is to wait for a letter acknowledging receipt of the application (this will have a case number to identify the application) and further instructions from the Dept. of State.

These instructions detail what evidence to send in (i.e. the "no objection letter")

But if you sent the letter in without having received your case number, the two pieces (your application for waiver and the "no objection" letter) run the risk of bypassing each other....in effect causing a delay.

Some people w/ valid tourist visas have been turned away at the Port of Entry (the US airport they arrived at) while they were in the K-1 process and came to visit their US citizen fiance(e). It all comes down to being able to prove sufficient ties to the home country. So if he does come to visit he should make sure he has documentation proving sufficient ties to his home country (i.e letter from employer stating dates and duration of said vacation, ownership of property documents, etc.). Its not meant to discourage you from trying to visit....just information, for reference.

Usually w/ the K-1 process, one of the best pieces advice is not to make any firm wedding plans until the visa is in your hands. So many things can happen to delay things....and as expensive as weddings are it can be a huge disappointment if on the day of the wedding the groom is missing because he has no visa. There have been stories here on VJ where weddings had to be canceled (money lost) last minute because the visa had not yet been granted to the groom.

Once again, good luck....I do hope all works out in time for your wedding.

-P

NOA1 - May 18th

NOA2 - October 18th

NVC Received - Oct. 22

Packet 3 Received - Nov. 9

Interview - Nov. 27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview Delayed until December 6th

K1 in hand - December 6th!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in the U.S. - December 12th!

MARRIED December 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

Update:

So, the embassy RESENT the No Objection letter, and now the US. Dept. of State said they have now received it on May 25th. Now, they can start the 6-8 week processing time.

I also got the NOA1 on May 24th.

When will the USCIS need the favorable recommendation from the Dept. of State? Any ideas where this comes in on the process?

Thx,

Gail

NOA1 - May 18th

NOA2 - October 18th

NVC Received - Oct. 22

Packet 3 Received - Nov. 9

Interview - Nov. 27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview Delayed until December 6th

K1 in hand - December 6th!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in the U.S. - December 12th!

MARRIED December 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

As for Plan B, I don't understand how they could turn him away if he's on a tourist visa. Is that legal? Where is it written that you cannot come to the US as a tourist when you're applying for a K1? I remember having read online no such restrictions.

Hi Gail -

Yes, it's legal for anyone to be refused entry for any number of reasons.

MM and MS

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

As you can see in our time line, we filed in May and I had my visa in October, so it can be close call.

We also had a ceremony at home in the Netherlands, which church, dinner and all and just got our marriage legalized at a justice of the peace office. :lol:

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.