King-north

Trump proposal would make it harder for legal immigrants to gain citizenship (merged)

207 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

We do indeed sign those agreements of financial support. And legal immigrants are also bound to not use things which are restricted under ''public charge'' rules. But the federal exchange (Obamacare) is NOT, I repeat, is NOT, anything to do with being a public charge. Furthermore, even if a USC spouse uses benefits which might fall under the ''public charge'' section, but their LPR spouse does not, this is also all perfectly legal. Having legal health insurance which does not fall under ''assistance'' which is purchased via an exchange and paid to a private health insurance company does not constitute being a public charge. It's called being responsible and having health insurance. LPRs and their USC spouses who get to claim any, if at all benefit of a subsidy by having a reduction in their payment, is still not in any way shape or form ''a public charge'', and is very tiny a number. Most who sign up to O'care do not get payment reduction, and pay the same dang high premium as anyone else does, on the same dang plan you could call up the insurance company and get anyway, you know?

Thank you :)

I know I seem really insensitive. I'm not trying to be. There's so much outrage, and I should really take a moment to ask more questions before I say that I am indifferent about something.

They should not hold it against the USC and their spouse if they need public assistance, especially not retroactively. That would mess things up for so many people.

1 minute ago, bananite said:

Then why are you even on this site...

To answer pointless posts apparently. 

It is a truth though. There are many countires that don't have immigrants coming all the time. And they are FINE. If immigrants would stop coming to the US, it would be fine too... It's simple. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

To answer pointless posts apparently. 

It is a truth though. There are many countires that don't have immigrants coming all the time. And they are FINE. If immigrants would stop coming to the US, it would be fine too... It's simple. 

Ok, then maybe you and your spouse (which ever one immigrated here) should go away. 

2012 July 1: Met in Switzerland <3

2014 Jan 23: Married in Cyprus!

2014 Feb 2: I-130 Packet Shipped

2014 Feb 19: NOA-1

2014 July 7: Email Notice of transfer to California Service Center

2014 July 16: Approved!!!!

2014 August 29: Sent AOS packet

2014 December 19: Sent IV packet

2015 March 25: Case complete at NVC (apparently it was forgotten, which is why it's >90 days)

2015 April 16: P4 email received, interview date assigned

2015 May 28: Interview date!! -- Visa Rejected, "missing" paperwork.

Wrong military papers. Not enough Intent to Return to the US. I cannot be financial sponsor because I am overseas.

2015 June 18: Mailed all missing documents.

2015 June 23: Consulate rec'd missing documents.

2015 June 25: Status moved to AP. But still lists status as "SEND DOCUMENTS". Emailed...

2015 Aug 6: Received Visa in mail

2015 Aug 18: Arrived in US

event.png

This page from government website shows that LPR are eligible for Obamacare including subsidies and it wont affect naturalization process.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/

Applying for Medicaid or CHIP, or getting savings for health insurance costs in the Marketplace, doesn’t make someone a "public charge." This means it won’t affect their chances of becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident or U.S. citizen.

There’s one exception. People receiving long-term care in an institution at government expense may face barriers getting a green card.

Right now uscis definition of public charge:

A. Cash assistance for income maintenance and institutionalization for long-term care at government expense may be considered for public charge purposes. However, receipt of such benefits must still be considered in the context of the totality of the circumstances before a person will be deemed inadmissible on public charge grounds.

Public benefits that are received by one member of a family are also not attributed to other family members for public charge purposes unless the cash benefits amount to the sole support of the family.

Acceptance of the following types of assistance may lead to the determination that the individual is likely to become a public charge:

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) under Title XVI of Social Security Act

• Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance (part A of Title IV of the Social Security Act--the successor to the AFDC program) (Note: Non cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies cannot be considered and non-recurrent cash payments for crisis situations cannot be considered for evidence of public charge)
  • State and local cash assistance programs that provide benefits for income maintenance (often called "General Assistance" programs)
  • Programs (including Medicaid) supporting individuals who are institutionalized for long-term care (e.g., in a nursing home or mental health institution). (Note: costs of incarceration for prison are not considered for public charge determinations)

This is not an exhaustive list of the types of cash benefits that could lead to a determination that a person is likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, and thus, a public charge. Receipt of any such cash benefits not listed above will continue to be assessed under the “totality of the circumstances” analysis described above.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, missileman said:

Can anyone explain who these legal immigrants who don't have Green Cards are? (1st paragraph says it will be more difficult for legal immigrants to get Green cards)

Can anyone explain the 2nd paragraph?

H1B’s or any other dual intent visa.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Bill & Katya said:

H1B’s or any other dual intent visa.

Thanks

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Just now, Ben&Zian said:

This thing is still going? Seems rather pointless since it's just a bunch of bickering now.

Yeah, but it's entertaining.

:bonk:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

Thanks

I agree though, a very poorly written article to promote fear.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, King-north said:

This page from government website shows that LPR are eligible for Obamacare including subsidies and it wont affect naturalization process.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/

Applying for Medicaid or CHIP, or getting savings for health insurance costs in the Marketplace, doesn’t make someone a "public charge." This means it won’t affect their chances of becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident or U.S. citizen.

There’s one exception. People receiving long-term care in an institution at government expense may face barriers getting a green card.

Right now uscis definition of public charge:

A. Cash assistance for income maintenance and institutionalization for long-term care at government expense may be considered for public charge purposes. However, receipt of such benefits must still be considered in the context of the totality of the circumstances before a person will be deemed inadmissible on public charge grounds.

Public benefits that are received by one member of a family are also not attributed to other family members for public charge purposes unless the cash benefits amount to the sole support of the family.

Acceptance of the following types of assistance may lead to the determination that the individual is likely to become a public charge:

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) under Title XVI of Social Security Act

• Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance (part A of Title IV of the Social Security Act--the successor to the AFDC program) (Note: Non cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies cannot be considered and non-recurrent cash payments for crisis situations cannot be considered for evidence of public charge)
  • State and local cash assistance programs that provide benefits for income maintenance (often called "General Assistance" programs)
  • Programs (including Medicaid) supporting individuals who are institutionalized for long-term care (e.g., in a nursing home or mental health institution). (Note: costs of incarceration for prison are not considered for public charge determinations)

This is not an exhaustive list of the types of cash benefits that could lead to a determination that a person is likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, and thus, a public charge. Receipt of any such cash benefits not listed above will continue to be assessed under the “totality of the circumstances” analysis described above.

Yep. But I think that the current administration missed the memo on it...

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23