King-north

Trump proposal would make it harder for legal immigrants to gain citizenship (merged)

207 posts in this topic

So if someone uses subsidies or household member even they are US citizens which are perfectly legal for LPR’s and citizens  or LPR uses medicaid after living 5 years in US. They would be denied. I check healthcare.gov they still mention getting health insurance in these two form won’t effect getting green card or citizenship.

048168EC-0654-40D7-A914-CC7689E9EED4.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 minutes ago, King-north said:

So if someone uses subsidies or household member even they are US citizens which are perfectly legal for LPR’s and citizens  or LPR uses medicaid after living 5 years in US. They would be denied.

No, they wouldn't.  Relax. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

You can't just lean on one source, you have to spread yourself around to try to get a good idea. Yes! I tell people all the time go read neutral news sites that are bipartisan. Not just one place.

I am not a fan of everything that this administration is doing. I want to make that clear. However, immigration is not something I will budge on. You come to America legally. There are plenty of American citizens who are below the poverty line, and the programs that are in place are not meant to be a resting place for every single person. Exactly, and it's not even a resting place permanently for anyone. It is supposed to be a means to help get back on your feet but unfortunately like any system it is gamed.

If your family sponsors you, they are responsible for you. Bingo

I get it, that sounds callous. Nope, not at all actually more truthful and common sense.

But I see it the same way as I see social security: I am in my 30s. I have been and will continue to pay into a system that hasn't worked for quite some time.

I don't like that the younger kids are starting to pay into that same system. It's a racket. Same here and hoping I get the return so to say for all I have and will be continuing to put into it.

Why on Earth should people expect other people to pay for someone that they fail to adequately sponsor?  Spot on again.

Here comes a real 'Republican' line: How can we take care of everyone when we can't even take care of ourselves? Something that needs to be asked more honestly.

I am not a necessarily full on republican. I always vote republican just because that is the general candidate. Dem vs Repub.... but yea. Naturally as a combat vet also, majority of the military tends to lean to the right; but like with the news, they spread the fear but won't admit that it isn't everyone. My husband, immigrant, again says most of it is common sense. Why not try to fix your own country first (and it needs help). But if you just listen to a left leaning news agency, they will make it everyday seem like the end of the world when, in fact, things are in ways improving. There's still a lot of work to be done, and like you, I'm not 100% with everything, I mean, I'm not exactly a conservative by any means haha; but as a whole, I approve myself.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Yeah, it's a complicated place, especially as young Americans with foreign spouses. There are so many misconceptions about what we go through, but no one wants to take the time to research it and figure it out.

Also, I am not trying to take a poo on anyone that needed affordable health care. I had it for two years before our company finally decided to get insurance for us. I just cannot get behind one family getting married and then bringing over more family and then getting mad that they can't lean on public assistance. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Yeah, it's a complicated place, especially as young Americans with foreign spouses. There are so many misconceptions about what we go through, but no one wants to take the time to research it and figure it out.

Also, I am not trying to take a poo on anyone that needed affordable health care. I had it for two years before our company finally decided to get insurance for us. I just cannot get behind one family getting married and then bringing over more family and then getting mad that they can't lean on public assistance. 

Exactly. I, fortunately have been covered medically with the military, then the VA (which i avoid like the plague) and now with my company for last 7+ years, and added my husband, but his company also offered base medical too. 

Even when I got out of the military, it took a couple months to get work but I chose not to go on unemployment and just cut back on things instead.

One big issue I think in the last 5-10 years is the entitlement feeling. Which, no offense, in a way, to me, came from the liberals... free this, free that, you deserve this, and you can have that... that kind of mentality has taken hold I think in a lot of younger people... man that's hard to say only being in my early 30s.. but it is that way it seems... like this whole thread... If you use this government assistance, which you aren't supposed to, it can delay your citizenship... ok... where's the gratitude to even be able to get the assistance to begin with? Then when it hinders other things people complain "why, why why why".... there is no thankfulness anymore it doesn't seem. And it can go both ways on each side so it isn't just a one sided ordeal by any means.

Edited by Ben&Zian

02/03/2017 - Married 

1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Exactly. I, fortunately have been covered medically with the military, then the VA (which i avoid like the plague) and now with my company for last 7+ years, and added my husband, but his company also offered base medical too. 

Even when I got out of the military, it took a couple months to get work but I chose not to go on unemployment and just cut back on things instead.

One big issue I think in the last 5-10 years is the entitlement feeling. Which, no offense, in a way, to me, came from the liberals... free this, free that, you deserve this, and you can have that... that kind of mentality has taken hold I think in a lot of younger people... man that's hard to say only being in my early 30s.. but it is that way it seems... like this whole thread... If you use this government assistance, which you aren't supposed to, it can delay your citizenship... ok... where's the gratitude to even be able to get the assistance to begin with? Then when it hinders other things people complain "why, why why why".... there is no thankfulness anymore it doesn't seem. And it can go both ways on each side so it isn't just a one sided ordeal by any means.

A lot of us don't feel that way. I know there are some that do, but I am not them.

Like, look. I grew up poor. I'm a 'millenial' by birth year only. I've been working since I was 16. I needed government assistance once, in my twenties, and feel no guilt because I've been putting it back into the system for half of my life at this point.

We cannot get angry at the government for wanting to tighten immigration. I say this as we wait for our AOS to get approved. Do I want them to get stricter? Absolutely. It'll shorten the times for everyone else.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

A lot of us don't feel that way. I know there are some that do, but I am not them.

Like, look. I grew up poor. I'm a 'millenial' by birth year only. I've been working since I was 16. I needed government assistance once, in my twenties, and feel no guilt because I've been putting it back into the system for half of my life at this point.

We cannot get angry at the government for wanting to tighten immigration. I say this as we wait for our AOS to get approved. Do I want them to get stricter? Absolutely. It'll shorten the times for everyone else.

And totally agree. There is no shame in needing some assistance, that's what it is there for when you need it. For myself it was a personal choice not to take it but i knew it was there if needed. You used it as it is intended to help out temporarily until you got things sorted out, just again how it is supposed to used.

People forget that Trump won primarily on immigration and economy. That, and a lot of people just didn't like Hillary honestly, she ignored half the country. That's why we have a system like we do in the electoral college that stops 5-6 big cities from winning an election and the rest of the country being ignored. So people can think what they want to; but people spoke and a whopping majority, including a lot of democrats want reform.

02/03/2017 - Married 

1 minute ago, AmelieAino said:

The posted article is just a snippet, there are others with more content. Are people glossing over the line about legal immigrants being hindered from obtaining legal status if they took care of their US CITIZEN family members/children with public assistance? How does that make sense?

This is just continuing the attack on the poor and vulnerable. This administration is trying to chip away at legal immigration, not actually reform it in a sensible way, and people pretend it's supposed to be a victory. This should absolutely be concerning for everyone. We need to take care of each other as a society, and provide support to those who can't take care of themselves - not become heartless and lack empathy, saying "every man for himself" or "just try harder". This is a symptom of much bigger problems in the USA.

If this administration doesn't concern you, you simply aren't paying enough attention.

They said that it will NOT effect people who are going for LPR or citizenship status. Did you miss that part?

Also, where do you think we're going to get the funds to fully care for people?

This administration is a hot mess, but that doesn't mean I can't have some good opinions about not wanting to spend money we don't have - just like social security.