Catherine36

Proof of ongoing relationship

21 posts in this topic

Don’t overdo it. For the I-129F you are not required to provide any evidence of an ongoing relationship but it is useful to send it with the petition if you are interviewing at a more difficult embassy or your case falls out of the general parameters (big age gap, very short relationship, several previous marriages between you, etc).

Remember that you are sending evidence, not proof. This is something to support your application, not the main foundation of your application. Also, when you see it as “proof” you fall into the trap of believing that approvals are granted purely on the weight of the documents you provide. Such things are to provide extra support at the interview stage, if needed.

USCIS won’t pay much, if any, attention to such stuff. Their policy manual is quite clear that is not the job of USCIS to decide whether a couple is a good match or whether they think a relationship will last. They are concerned purely with the eligibility to apply for a K-1 visa. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I did something like this, and included 5-6 pages I think, that is plenty of logs I would think. You can see how many screenshots I fit per page, so you don't need many pages. We have a higher risk embassy so I wanted to front load a little bit.

Chat log-min.pdf

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline
18 hours ago, Chris&Ale said:

I read quite a few people that say to just include a few intermittent call logs or texts but I would rather err on the side of caution and include more rather than less. If you include say 10 pages of call logs and five or six pages of sample text messages, what is the interviewer going to say? It's not like they can deny you because you provided too much proof of an ongoing relationship, right?

Excellent point 

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fils 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline
10 hours ago, Catherine36 said:

Boiler and Duffy,

How did it fair for you?

Alabamak1---my screenshots didnt come out like you describe...they are one per 8.5x11. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Luckycuds---98% of our communication is via whatsapp: calls/videos/texts. Succinctly/redacted, I have 94 pages of texts and 25 pages of call/video logs. For the texts, that first month of communication (and i did not include the entire month) was the crucial month that determined the course we're now on [together almost 16 months]...subsequent months I printed 2/3 pages per month until June 2018. Call log---from 6/17 -6/18. By the time I read about using call log as proof, 2 months have disappeared from record. I also posted previously about the # of pics from trips---from 6 trips, we have chosen 28.

Too much??? Chris&Ale's last sentence comforted me.

Nonetheless, thank you all for your input. We have one more week to make a final determination of what to include in packet. 

Catherine.

We have a lawyer and my fiancé is from west Africa, not high fraud area but still we needed to side of caution. Our lawyer said 50 pages of text, a little from each month. And I gave them all of our phone records,  it sure how many pages that is. You don’t want to overwhelm them but at the same time if your country is high fraud or you have red flags, I would side on caution and do more, rather then less. We were approved our noa2....our lawyer said it’s best to present a solid case in the beginning. At the interview you can have the same Information but most likely won’t be looked at, but good to have. 

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fils 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I screenshotted one section of messages from each week from when we met and printed 4 to a page so it could be easily read. I took sections of messages where we were lovey towards each other and also ones where we talked about random everyday stuff. I also took screenshots of our skype call log and submitted that as well. I think there was about 10-15 pages, which was a lot, but I thought it was better to have too much than not enough, and still think that. 

unitedstates.gift4518.gifbelgium-flag.gif

Met Online March 3, 2016

Became a couple April 2, 2016

First trip to Belgium: June 28 - August 11, 2016

Second trip to Belgium: December 15, 2016 - March 11, 2017

K1

Sent in I-129F September 14, 2016

Visa received in hand April 6, 2017

I-129F to K1 in hand: 204 days (6 months 23 days)

Arrived into the US May 10, 2017

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Sent AOS packet January 19, 2018

Greencard received in mail June 14, 2018

AOS to Greencard in hand: 146 days (4 months 26 days)  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I can see both sides of the coin but I look at it as though we are being taken to court with the embassy interviewer as the judge and jury. In that case, I'd rather present as much evidence as possible. In a real trial, your attorney would never only provide partial evidence proving your innocence, right? 

As for "high fraud" countries, I am of the impression in USCIS viewpoint, that pretty much includes any country apart from those in western Europe, Canada, Australia, and Japan. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.